General Boards > Off Topic

Chainsaws.

<< < (2/7) > >>

OldMucks:
I've got a Stihl mas120c and it's a great piece of gear. When you buy one go for something with about 40v anything with lower volts will only cut for about 5 min.

DannyG:
My mum has a little Ryobi chainsaw and to be honest its quite a good little thing.

But for $250 my little Stihl MS180 is a great little chainsaw. I know its not battery powered but it flies. I upgraded the bar and chain to a larger size once the OEM gear was worn out and now it does everything I ever need to do.

VALKIE:
Thanks guys, I have been doing a fair bit of research and the Dewalt is looking good.

Danny G.
I have heard that the chain is an important factor, getting a good chain can improve even a basic chainsaw.
The difference is chalk and cheese.

Oldmucks
I have been looking at total cuts and time.
Its always going to be a bit of a compromise as petrol can just be refilled, but batteries run down.
But one review showed a guy chopping up an entire 30ft tree and branches into firewood, with a small Dewalt 12 inch chainsaw.
The thickest sections were only 10-12 inches, but he stated that it only took two recharges to do the whole thing.

That is impressive to me.

Yvesjv
My son warns me off Stihl, he has a few chainsaws and he hates them.
He said the two Stihl both died and were rubbish.
He is a husqvarna fan.
And he pushes his chainsaws really, really hard

jack-fc:

I have a 36v Makita, very happy with it, excellent for camping, 2 x 18v 5ah batteries good for 4 to 5 days camp-fire wood.Handles up to 200mm diameter.
Biggest factor in my choice was already having batts and charger for other tools...
Cheers, Jack

WAI4WD:

--- Quote from: VALKIE on Aug 29, 2021, 05:06:53 PM ---Im looking at a chainsaw for home and for when i go camping/ 4 wheel driving.

--- End quote ---
Exact same position as you, and my decision was: I'm staying with my recip saw with a 12" blade which does 99% of everything I need to cut. I bought an AX for anything larger. Simple, cheap, effective, easy to sharpen vs a chainsaw for those 1% moments. An AX additionally will go through any thickness, so then I don't come across a time where a tiny chainsaw is no longer good enough for those 0.001% of times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version