Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Recovery Tips  (Read 11621 times)

Offline Boutime

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Recovery Tips
« on: Aug 12, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
Thank you Dave, these are very valid points you raised. With only a hand full of recoveries I am very much a novice and unfortunately I have missed out on the I Venture trips so far :crybaby2:. But there is always next time. :notworthy:. This was my first recovery with the MUX and I was surprised how easy it was in the end.

You are right, in every recovery (even the most straightforward) safety is the most important. My bad.

As a thought we should start a board on recovery tips, I think it will be most helpful to most to learn from practical situations.

I would like to learn more about the angle you are referring to. It looks like my entire approach to the recovery may have been incorrect. In the picture I have attached, I tried to reduce the angle labeled "x" to reduce the risk of rollover. I therefore moved over to the right of the path as much as practical and thought the driver side recovery point assisted with reducing the angle. It is very important for me to understand these things as I am planning more serious trips in the future and would like to get it right.

Thanks for the great works guys.
aBoutime ... I get a decent truck
Isuzu MU-X, LS-T, Outback Bronze
TJM Bullbar, TJM Snorkel, Isuzu Tow bar, X Bars, Awning, Uniden UHF.
PLUS a lot more planned for 2017 Kimberley trip.

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
Re: Recovery Tips
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2015, 10:01:40 AM »
Great idea for a thread!

Question for you Boutime: where did you have the strap connected too, the OEM "tow/recovery" points on the vehicle or did you have ARB recovery points?

With straps, they are designed to stretch so keeping them flat and not twisted ensures maximun stretch and minimum damage to the strap.

Good info, that's what they taught us at the IVenture club too, along with using a damper on the strap, and the strap should be connected to the passenger side. They also said two straps were preferable (connect in serial, i.e. one long strap).
MU-X LS-T MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Snorkel | Isuzu Tow Bar | ARB Deluxe Combo Bar | Geolander A/T G015 255/65R17 | "Be the change you want to see."

The following users thanked this post: CC

DmaxDave

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2015, 10:09:09 AM »
Yes two straps will stretch further providing more kinetic (?) energy to assist the recovery.

Dave

Offline Boutime

• LS-U Member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »
Thank you Dave, fantastic input. Much appreciated.

Will have to do a bit more practicing. I know a few Jeep owners, will invite them along on the next trip :laughing7:

Hey Battlemantis, still running with the factory points. Will have to invest in an upgrade and strap to spread the load.

It is also very easy in the heat of the moment to forget that the 4B chassis can be damaged especially with recovery at an angle. Also thanks for reminding me about forward rather than reverse. Good stuff, thanks guys.

Offline knoath

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6mJa9io04" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6mJa9io04</a>
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline dogsbreakfast

• LS-T Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2015, 01:36:03 PM »
I think it was a good recovery as it was more a tow out, than a snatch out - although the dampener should always be on regardless.
2014 MU-X Fjord blue, TJM T13 bullbar, Runva Winch, 20" lightbar, Custom Bilstein shocks with Dobinson Springs, Hankook 265/70 r17.

Offline LST

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2015, 12:21:56 PM »
I think it was a good recovery as it was more a tow out, than a snatch out - although the dampener should always be on regardless.

Agree although in any recovery I would remove any passengers from the car and have them positioned outside the danger zone where they could be impacted by a strap or hardware
2013 D-max LST auto in Silver

DmaxDave

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »
Good point.  Plus removing passengers reduces the weight of the vehicle  ;)

Dave

Offline dogsbreakfast

• LS-T Member
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »

Agree although in any recovery I would remove any passengers from the car and have them positioned outside the danger zone where they could be impacted by a strap or hardware

True 👍
2014 MU-X Fjord blue, TJM T13 bullbar, Runva Winch, 20" lightbar, Custom Bilstein shocks with Dobinson Springs, Hankook 265/70 r17.

Offline Boutime

• LS-U Member
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »
Great feedback, and here I was thinking you kick the passengers out so they can video the recovery and laugh at the Jeep  :laughing7:

Come on  Guys and Gals, there has to be more recovery videos/stories out there. Please share :icon_thumleft:

Offline LST

• LS-U Member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2015, 07:12:37 PM »
I have a copy of a Recovery Tips annd Techniques mag which while fairly basic has some good info
I will post up some bits from it when at home on the desktop

I have seen two recoveries on 4WD shows recently where they were pulling using the strap hooked over a towball. Poor presentation from people who should be promoting safety

Offline knoath

« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2015, 09:43:52 PM »
I'm sure we'd all have heaps of recovery videos…. if we didn't drive DMaxs and MU-Xs!!!
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline Boutime

• LS-U Member
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2015, 09:00:47 AM »
Knoath, you're right it is difficult, even if you deliberately try to get them bogged. :icon_salut: But there are always the other (uninformed) bunch who we can :bootyshake:

DmaxDave

« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2015, 06:39:13 PM »
Worth a listen, and some links for further reading

http://4x4earth.com/podcasts/track-2-snatch-strap-recoveries/

Dave

Offline LST

• LS-U Member
« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
As promised albeit a bit late here are some pages from the mag. I have shown the cover page so you can go and buy your own. I think I will carry this in the glove box for future reference should the need arise.

I like the "idle snatch rule" article as I think there is a lot of merit in that technique

3rd showing the recovery points - see pic #5 - factory tie down bracket looks very similiar to ours and note comment about weld fractures. There is a pic of a broken one on another forum but circumstances of how it occurred are not stated. Interesting that I Venture club are not demonstrating snatch recovery using that bracket until some legal matter is sorted

[/URL]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal