Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Mazda Tribute AC issues  (Read 1971 times)

Offline maweida

Mazda Tribute AC issues
« on: Feb 21, 2024, 08:28:05 PM »

My wife’s Mazda tribute 2.3 ac stopped working. I noticed the pulley on the front of the compressor free spins with ac off, but when ac on there is no change. Should the entire front part of the pulley start turning (ie all the black part in the photo)

Offline guyfromaus

Re: Mazda Tribute AC issues
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2024, 09:25:22 PM »
is Clutch energising?
is fuse open circuit?

Offline maweida

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2024, 10:44:25 PM »
I don’t think the clutch is engaging, only the pulley spins , and the front of the pulley stays still. I’ll take a video

Offline maweida

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2024, 10:54:11 AM »

Here is a better photo, should the entire front section be spinning with the A/C on? (note: the pulley always spins)

Offline pig75

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2024, 11:07:11 AM »
If it's low on gas the clutch won't pull in
90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2019 Dmax LSU, 2014 MUX LST

If beef is in beef mince what is in pet mince

Offline maweida

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2024, 11:39:35 AM »
Yes, i pushed in the little check valve and a puff of gas came out.

Was thinking i'll check that the clutch gets a 12V signal, if it does, then the clutch must be stuffed. If not, something is stopping the 12v signal (ie relay fault, low gas etc).

Offline maweida

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2024, 11:40:52 AM »
If anyone says "have you tried installing the compressor" i'll get cranky   :laughing7: :laughing7:

Offline maweida

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2024, 09:31:37 PM »

image upload

Found the problem, the ac clutch looked burned, the rubber was melted in places. I could spin the compressor shaft and it felt fine, some load but nice and smooth. I disconnected the plug and confirmed that 12v was present at the plug with ac switch on and 0v when ac button off. 99 % sure it’s the clutch. Now to work out how to replace it

Offline maweida

« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2024, 04:21:25 PM »
Quick update. so did some more testing and the clutch engages, but the rubber section that joins the clutch to the compressor shaft has let go, (see photos), i assume the rubber is to dampen the shock load when you turn on the AC when the motor is doing 1000RPM. Anyway, for a quick test, tried superglue and it works, AC nice and cold again, now i know the problem, i'll buy a new clutch $150 and replace it. Funny, all the mechanics i rang wanted to replace the entire compressor at $2000 when there is nothing wrong with it!!

Its worth doing your own checks, most of the time its an easy fix!! (and cheap).

Years ago my alternator was playing up. The mechanic wanted $800 for a new one. I went to change it myself, and found the wire had come off the terminal. $50c for a new terminal and i'm back on the road!!

The following users thanked this post: Mike C, Jonno

Offline maweida

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2024, 01:29:37 PM »
Just an update.

Bought the new AC clutch from Cool CAR - Campbelltown ($150), and just changed the front clutch plate (the part that gets pulled in by the magnet and rubs on the pulley) - 1 x 8mm bolt and 10 minutes time.

Anyway, problem solved, the AC all works again!

Now i've saved $2000, might book in a cruise to QLD!

The following users thanked this post: Ian G

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal