Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Fun project - lift vw beetle  (Read 5150 times)

Offline ajm

Fun project - lift vw beetle
« on: Mar 10, 2023, 08:00:35 AM »
Morning all. On a whim, we bought the kids a 2005 vw beetle to use as a farm car. It has been in an accident but no significant damage to important parts.

our land is kinda bumpy and the beetle is kinda low so....let's do a silly lift on it. Yeh!! Oh, and add a bull/nudge bar of sorts.

Anyone got a similar vehicle that could help me figure out what I could use to raise it up? Surprisingly, it does not seem a common practice.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Offline guyfromaus

Re: Fun project - lift vw beetle
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2023, 10:52:21 AM »
There is a TV show from the US called  oops cant remember the name where the guy with a bald head (and a dog) cuts chops modifies cars.
He does a bit with VWs
Check Utube for back shows.

Offline MotoBreno

• LS-U Member
  • MY23 MU-X LS-T 4WD
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2023, 11:25:20 AM »
Wayyyy, back in my youth, ('80's) a bloke I used to hang out with cut up a beetle for farm buggy bashing. He found a way to make it a bit taller but the wheel align was ummm, well it only ran on sand on the station... When I say cut-up, think of something off the set of Mad Max 2. - He cut a lot out and welded half a scrap yard into it. The stretch-mesh floor was mistake, all the crap came through it. Christ it was fun though! - Good luck and have fun.

Offline ajm

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2023, 12:13:55 PM »
Thought about chopping the rear half of the cabin away to mate it into a year of sorts. But first, needs to go up a little. Found one but it's a little too high

https://pin.it/6G6fCdy

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
That's a beast.  :headbang:
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2023, 04:14:02 PM »
Ask these guys: https://www.youtube.com/@KarstanAndMaxine

They have a lifted beetle wagon on 35's I think they are.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline guyfromaus

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2023, 05:41:56 PM »
Check out the VW  in front of the Silverton Hotel- I remember it was wild  -MAD MAX museum there.

Offline ajm

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2023, 07:39:41 PM »
OK, the big red car is home. Cleaned glass and cigarette butts out of every nook and cranny. And the sticky residue on every surface. Sorry, has to be said, smokers are filthy.

Have removed rear seats and washed. Will leave front seats until next weekend so the kids can play tomorrow. That said, I have to remove the centre console to get to the gear stick (auto) mechanism. It sticks in Park
 Apparently an easy fix.

Just wondering if anyone knows what it could be when the ignition is turned off but there is still something running and clicking. No fans on. Key out of ignition.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2023, 01:39:31 PM »
Ajm,
That's one sus present..
You are trying to get rid of the kids because Uni costs a fortune nowadays?

Offline ajm

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2023, 03:56:36 PM »
Ajm,
That's one sus present..
Well, no need to put it down on paper (so to speak).

Offline Bucko

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2023, 10:22:52 PM »
ajm, any photos of the new toy yet?

Offline ajm

« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2023, 07:09:32 PM »
ajm, any photos of the new toy yet?

i haven't done anything to it yet except clean the inside so the kids aren't sitting in glass and cigarette butts. the RBA is making progress on all of our projects downright glacial. 

Had a stroke of luck though the other day. Found out one of our neighbours works as a mechanic for VW. He suggested i get a an OBD2 scanner to check out the car. Hadn't thought of that. I am working on him to be my chief helper but still got a way to go.

will put up some pics on the weekend if the kids let me near it. they have been driving it all around the place so next job is replace the oil. all other fluids seem ok. will replace most when we have the spare change to do so.

Offline CirLott

« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2023, 09:08:27 PM »
Ask these guys: https://www.youtube.com/@KarstanAndMaxine

They have a lifted beetle wagon on 35's I think they are.
Wow, you watch them too? They don't do a lot of videos lately. But I used to love watching them.

Offline CirLott

« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2023, 09:13:03 PM »
OK, the big red car is home. Cleaned glass and cigarette butts out of every nook and cranny. And the sticky residue on every surface. Sorry, has to be said, smokers are filthy.

Have removed rear seats and washed. Will leave front seats until next weekend so the kids can play tomorrow. That said, I have to remove the centre console to get to the gear stick (auto) mechanism. It sticks in Park
 Apparently an easy fix.

Just wondering if anyone knows what it could be when the ignition is turned off but there is still something running and clicking. No fans on. Key out of ignition.

One of my friends found mice in his car. They lived right in the car and carried all sorts of rubbish in it. He had to dismantle the car to destroy their nest.
Maybe you have mice too?

Offline ajm

« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2023, 12:43:59 PM »
Ajm,
That's one sus present..
March to October. Still haven't done much to the car.  The idea was for them to be enthusiastic about getting off the couch. Plus, they could cart animal feed around in it. Apparently, we name the back fence too far away for the little dears.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal