Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Best sleeping ideas for doing the cape??  (Read 10753 times)

Offline Richie rich

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Best sleeping ideas for doing the cape??
« on: May 09, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »
Hi..doing Cape York trip next June and wanting some ideas on what's the best way to camp/sleep??
Thinking of a roof top tent? If so Which one ? Need something that is quick and easy to set up?
Any ideas would be great.
Cheers Richie.

DmaxDave

Re: Best sleeping ideas for doing the cape??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 07:26:51 PM »
We normally tow our camper trailer everywhere but are planning a couple of remote trips where we will need to leave the CT behind.  Got me thinking about swags, tents, etc.  Pretty sure we will end up with two of these Jet Tent bunkers

http://youtu.be/bRg8uVcExJM

Dave

Offline xsm

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 08:01:35 PM »
We did the Cape trip in 2011. We fitted everything in/on our 1998 Pajero. There was me, my wife and our two boys who were 14 and 17 at the time. We travelled with friends who also had two teenage boys and they fitted everything in their Hilux.

We used 3 X two man dome tents 2.1 metres square, 1 with a vestibule.  We also used cheap blue tarps as ground sheets for them.  These tents are very compact and are quick to set up and pack up. Wouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes max.  For bedding we used our Roman self inflatable mattresses. These are large and thick so are really comfortable but they are bulky to carry and weigh 6 kg each. You do need to be comfortable though and that includes getting a good nights sleep. Our friends used one larger Black Wolf tent although one of their boys usually camped in with one of our boys to give them a bit more space in the Black Wolf.  Their setup and packup took about the same time as ours.

We had all our bedding and tents on the roof rack in our large Rhino 4wd roof rack bag. We also had a 2nd spare wheel on the roof which we didn't use.  My memory is fading now but I think the total weight on the roof was 120kg.

Inside the back of the car we had our 60 litre Evakool, all our clothing, food, fold up tables and utensils.

It was all a tight squeeze to get everything in but it really worked very well. Everything had its place and our setup and packup was 2nd nature after the first couple of days. It was great not towing a trailer, we were very comfortable and I would do it the exact same way again. The weather was good except for one night of rain at Chilli Beach but we had awnings made from tarps and tent poles attached to our vehicles.

My wife and I will do the trip again one day without the boys and I am hoping to fit all our gear in the car without roof racks. I will just wait until the MU-X has "aged" a bit first.

Cheers
Martin

Offline TCMTB

• LS-M Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »
We use a Colman instant up 6 man tent- cheapest 'quick' tent and really impressed with it. We usually have a camper trailer so didn't want to spend too much on the tent. Will need a tarp or fold out awning on the side of the car for shelter though as pretty small undercover area.
2 adults and 2 kids under 5. Kids on blow up mattresses and we're on self inflating mattresses. On the pioneer rhino roof rack we have the tent, rhino roof bag with all clothing/ sleeping and dry food, 20l water Jerry can and gas bottle. In the back I've got a 60l Engle, table, recovery gear, gas stove, fold up solar panel and a few other bits and pieces.
This is all in the MU-x, will have no problems fitting this and more in a d-max.
I find having enough water is the biggest constraint, not as much of an issue up in the cape, but can be for other remote camping places.

Offline macka17

• LS-T Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 08:29:23 PM »
For "sleeping".
if anything like 30 odd yrs ago.

Anything OFF the ground if near water of any kind.
You in the food chain up there.

We always took the pig dogs and chained 'em to truck.
they woke you when croc's came near,
or anything that moved.

Offline Richie rich

• LS-T Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »
It's only me and a few mates going....I've been warned against sleeping on the ground in some places..want to come back in one piece...not 2or3 or more lol..
Cheers Richie.

Offline MuxGuys

• LS-T Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 09:33:32 PM »
Great question  :icon_thumleft:

We are in virtually the same quandary......plan is to do Cape York next July in the MUX over 4 weeks door to door.

Our current camping gear since we sold the Soft Floor camper a few years ago wouldn't be suitable for the FNQ climate or duration. We have single swags, heavy non ventilated double swag and single cots and a queen Kwik cot in addition to our hiking camp gear in a 3 person tent and exped mats and bags.

Our simple requirements of sleep together, off the ground and prefer not to tow make the choices pretty slim as all the usual options have some issues to us.

RTT has the obvious advantages of off the ground, great breeze and not towing......but MUX roof loaded bearing, Wife with vertigo and my Chinese bladder need to be considered.

Double dome swag like the Kings or Darche Dusk to Dawn have advantages in setup time even on top of our double Kwik cot and under the MUX awning.....but no changing area for mummy is an issue but we could put a tent room on the awning perhaps and even shoe horn the Kwik cot into there if need be ??

Camper trailer is being investigated but not down the soft floor path again.... Off the ground, comfy bed and storage for all manner of equipment is a given with the correct unit.....but towed weight behind only a lightly modified MUX and getting into all the places we wish to visit is a real concern, I don't want to be pushing the vehicle to and beyond its limits so far from home. We want to experience the out of the way places without spending unnessessary time recovering the vehicle and trailer.

Our MUX is a lease car so while adding LR tank, cargo barrier and draws etc is an option, it's an option I have to pay for outside the lease and decide to either remove and sell after lease or perhaps increase vehicles value to the right buyer at sale.

They trailer option being considered is a Drifta DOT7 base trailer but lighter sprung with their pull out kitchen, Fridge box, storage draws option and awnings that is all removable and a removable hard lid and boat rack on actuators....Trailer can go back to general trailer duties as my current 7x4 is aging. The trailer can be set up with General storage, fuel storage, Batteries, Fridge and 180 degree awning to all be independent of the Car needing modifications.....we have been down the heavily modified 4x4 pathway and scratched that itch now.

The sleeping would be in the double swag which provides a number of options.....on the ground if needed, on the Kwik cot under the stars or trailer awning, in a mates lounge room and on top of the hard lid of the trailer in croc country....we have been caught a few times previously not being able to get the camper into a location or not allowed to take a camper in.....the swag can be taken in the car to a difficult location or thrown over the bollards in many of our National Park sites that don't allow vehicle camping.

So much to consider.....this set up will be for other future trips and not just this CY trip.

Watching with interest.

:occasion14:

Offline xsm

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 10:04:18 PM »
You would more than likely be using designated camp grounds where sleeping on the ground is perfectly safe.

This just isn't an issue.

Cheers
Martin

Offline macka17

• LS-T Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 01:52:44 AM »
Just be careful if/when not parking in civilised parts. we all do sometimes.

When we were in croc country.
we normally had the dogs.
But also used to take a mobile zapper I used for the horses when on trail rides with shorter droppers. A ring of them round camp
disturbs strangers of two and 4 legs.
If tenting it. some of the lads used a rooftop rack. then at night moved whatever down to bonnet.
kipped on rack in whatever. then reloaded rack in morn.
Kept your little pinkies out of reach of slitherers. and bities.
Organised campsites ain't what Cape etc are all about.
You can do that down in Melbourne.
Up there is for away from civilisation. Or it was when we went anywhere North of home (Townsville)

Offline johnhu

• LS-M Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 10:38:31 AM »
It depends on your budget, but when I was last up the Cape (a bit of a drive from Perth) many years ago we used a rooftop tent.  I never liked the fold in half ones like the ARB, Howling Moon, etc so used one of the Fibreglass hardshell variety.  Have a search for Maggiolina or James Baroud as two popular brands. 

Very expensive though, but for a couple we found it great.  Up off the ground from the bitties, and on the hot humid nights, we also got whatever breeze was available (windows on all 4 sides with midge proof mesh).

Since upgrading to a camper trailer, I sold the rooftopper for not a lot less than I originally paid for it.

Just another option to consider anyhow........

John

Offline Yoodles

• LS-U Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 12:14:01 PM »
We did the cape in 2014 for  3 weeks. Two couples had a rooftop tent and one had a instant up coleman tent/airbed etc.  Set up times were surprisingly similar in time.  I mean the rooftop was great for what we were doing - but i sold it not long after cause i found it was useless for most camping trips.
The biggest issue up cape is mozzies so you want some protection from them when sleeping.  I may be hot so  swags zipped up can be too much.  A mozzie awning coudl be the go....so you can sleep fairly comfortably.  But really the instant up tents are pretty awesome these days....that's my recommendation.
2015 SX Dual Cab-Chassis 4x4 Manual, Buffalo Equip Alloy Tray/Canopy - ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Brushrails, OME GVM Upgrade 300kg, Warn XD9000, TJM dual battery tray/Redarc SBI12, HPD Catch Can, UHF, Bonnet Protector, Weathershields.

Offline macka17

• LS-T Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 12:11:01 AM »
I live in CQ now after 30 odd yrs in tropics. Townsville and Northwards.

We used to go for weekends with the Outriggers (6 man) when up in Darwin and Cairns.

I have a one man "tent".  But it's really a Midgie mesh with outer perimeter
with a Plastic sealed floor and poles/guys to suit. They do bigger too,

Self inflating mattress and silver tarp to peg down over it if gets wet.
They great, and with the tarp you can get your privacy too.

ANY humidity up here at all will kill you Southerners
if enclosed in tent/Camper etc.
 Even makes me uncomfortable now I'm in my '70's
and I worked in Darwin/surrounds for yrs.

Offline MellieJ

• LS-M Member
« Reply #12 on: Jun 23, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »

still fine tuning out setup but this is the back half of our bed.
not for the stiff jointed. :D
working on *doesnt matter how i say it* rear entry solutions, ie handle and opening mechanism.
Dog things its a fabulous game.
Window shades for the mozzies as open windows are a must, been down to about 8 degrees so far (that i saw, could have been cooler) and had the rear windows half down and could have used more. thinking about doing the front too (shades) as the dog would also like an open window.
current issue is fridge placement/shuffle

Offline DMaximus

• XRunner Member
« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2016, 01:54:06 PM »

still fine tuning out setup but this is the back half of our bed.
not for the stiff jointed. :D
working on *doesnt matter how i say it* rear entry solutions, ie handle and opening mechanism.
Dog things its a fabulous game.
Window shades for the mozzies as open windows are a must, been down to about 8 degrees so far (that i saw, could have been cooler) and had the rear windows half down and could have used more. thinking about doing the front too (shades) as the dog would also like an open window.
current issue is fridge placement/shuffle

I don't think you've got enough height for a fridge as it is (unless you're taking it out every time you want to open it).

Harsh bed!! At least the dog will be comfy up the front.  :laughing7:

Rooftop tent not an option or even a couple of swags under the awning?

Offline MellieJ

• LS-M Member
« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2016, 03:03:17 PM »

"I don't think you've got enough height for a fridge as it is (unless you're taking it out every time you want to open it).

Harsh bed!! At least the dog will be comfy up the front.  :laughing7:

Rooftop tent not an option or even a couple of swags under the awning?"

Fridge; currently had middle seats in for the dog and fridge. will be taking out single middle seat and putting fridge there next time.
we use our fold out couch matress atm, looking into a custom. trying to find photos of our trip.
We may look at roof top option, but i am only interested in the hard top type, or tent option in future if more members join our family. I HATE swags, no, loathe. And why not be different and have a roof over our heads? Our design is based off a mate who did his own; Thylacine Campers. his base was a space cab and everything in the tray. It works for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal