Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Roof Top Tents  (Read 6655 times)

Offline Bojordan

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Roof Top Tents
« on: Feb 22, 2016, 01:18:36 PM »
There are many topics on this subject on other forums, but many are quite old and my understanding is the specs for most roof top tents has changed over the years.

I am wondering if you guys with roof top tents can give a mini review about what you have, what you paid and whether you would recommend them. I am particularly interested in Adventure Kings and Ironman4x4, mainly because I can get a combo deal on other items I wish to purchase from them, but I am open to persuasion is they really are that crap, or others really are that much better.

I look forward to your responses, pictures would be nice too if you have them.

Cheers,

Beau

Offline Jackofjr

• LS-T Member
Re: Roof Top Tents
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2016, 01:33:39 PM »
We have a full length RTT , good quality canvas , it doesn't fold in half , the fold in half one you are limited to mattress thickness and what you can leave up top when you fold them , bloody things won't close ,
A couple of mates had them , and changed to full length tents like ours , for better mattess and quicker set up , pack up .

We used ours all over Oz , they are a PITA when staying in the one place for a few day and you still want to use the vehicle everyday , we also now have a Tvan .

Offline als4b

• SX Member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »
I mount mine to a 4wd trailer for the longer setups. If we are doing a lot of overnighters then it could on the trailer out ute. We brought a darche low profile with a top vent. I would say 5 to ten years I will be in camper trailer with full sprung mattress. They have good and bad points, camping can be a compromise of what you can afford at that time.

Offline Bojordan

• SX Member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »
I mount mine to a 4wd trailer for the longer setups. If we are doing a lot of overnighters then it could on the trailer out ute. We brought a darche low profile with a top vent. I would say 5 to ten years I will be in camper trailer with full sprung mattress. They have good and bad points, camping can be a compromise of what you can afford at that time.

Sounds like you've got the darche panorama, they look good, bit pricey though!

I was able to pick up a decent priced aluminium canopy that I am fixing up so I plan on mounting it to that and having the canopy removable. Just unsure the brand or type of roof top tent.

Offline Mitch

• LS-M Member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2016, 07:01:03 PM »
I've got a tjm Yulara RTT. Had it on my navara, then built a trailer and put it on that. It's quite good, plenty of room, comfy for me and the misses (she has a bad back).

Heaps better on the trailer, no pack up to go driving.

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »
We used the original Ironman/ARB/Everyother brand RTT that was a bit of a generic import from China and branded to whoever and it was great until it rained heavy. Then it leaked through the side walls.

That was just ours though, I am not sure if they were ever improved. Im sure they have been.

There are so many on the market these days. But it served its purpose at the time. My wife used to use our hiking self inflating mattress under the RTT mattress to give some extra comfort. It didn't worry me.

They are a pin if you want to pop down the road after you have set up of course.

We then sold it and bought a 30 second style tent. So much easier to use and of course you can leave camp. We still have that tent, our boys use it all the time and we still like to use it on the odd occasion that we are going bush for a quick overnight no fuss type trip.

The only issue with the 30 second tent is that the mattress is not incorporated into the tent. We use one of those thick so called '4wd' mattresses that is very comfy but very hot.
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline als4b

• SX Member
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2016, 06:47:47 PM »
Yeah beau its a darche andhas been a good unit . Yes it was a bit pricey but it came with full annex and a large awning for the side of the car. I can see myself in a good camper trailer with full length mattress in about 5 years. I still like the idea of putting it on the roof of my canopy when doing the cape etc

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal