Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Diesel Containers  (Read 7419 times)

dlncooke

Diesel Containers
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
Q1    When traveling/touring when you carry extra diesel do you go for metal or the plastic fuel containers.I'm looking @ adding 3 x 20 litre Jerry cans for our trip not sure weather to get metal or the plastic ones.Anyone done remote trips with the plastic ones or just stick to the metal ones.They'll be strapped on a canopy tray.Q2   Can you travel with them laying down or do they need to be nozzle up !CheersDave

Offline Bob D

• LS-M Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Re: Diesel Containers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »
Hi dincooke.  We did around Australia in 2014, I carried two 20litre metal containers with diesel on the roof rack of our raised Troopy and my brother in law carried two 20litre plastic containers with diesel in holders on the A frame of his camper trailer.  We had no problems with either and we travelled some pretty ordinary roads, both dirt and bitumen.  Having said that when we finished our trip I had to give the metal containers back to my brother-in-law, after all they were his.  So for chrissy just gone and at my request my son bought be two 10litre plastic diesel containers from Supercheap.  I wanted the smaller containers because getting the full 20litre containers off the top of the Troopy was an effort and an effort (weight wise) for the initial pour too.  If your young and fit, not a problem.  The 10litre containers will be far easier for me to handle, especially now I don't have to get them off the top of a Troopy.
Bob D

Offline Bob D

• LS-M Member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2016, 05:50:26 PM »
Didn't answer all your question dincooke.  My brother in law carried his containers standing upright in their holders and I carried mine in a roof top container holder on their side (designed to carry that way) with the outlet/nozzle position elevated if you know what I mean.  I had no leaks or spillage problems.
Bob D

DmaxDave

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
Carried a plastic jerry, lying down, in the roof basket, for 8,000 kms on some of the worst roads I have ever travelled.  No leaks, no issues.  Another three standing up on the CT's drawbar.  No issues or leaks either.

Dave

Offline wintrmute

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
  • MU-X LS-U
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »
Check the O-ring seals!

I have a couple of plastic jerry cans and they're fine, upright or lying down, but I borrowed one from a friend last year, and the o-ring was totally degraded.. it leaked all over the place. Ugh.
2015 Mu-x LS-U Fjord blue; Geolander A/T-S; GME CB; Roof tray

Offline ryjoe

• LS-U Member
  • Owner of www.onlinecameraed.com
    • Online Camera Ed
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:46:11 PM »
Hi,

We have used plastic ones for years now in both upright and laying down configurations and they have been fine.  Depending on how they are being carried I usually put some non chafing material like a bit of carpet or similar around them so the risk of them wearing through is reduced. Wearing through can happen with all types of containers if they vibrate around enough.  Been around Aus a couple of times and no dramas to date.  Agree with earlier post to just check the seals before you head off. Pity I didn't do the same some years back when I had a heap of cans of beer in the door of our caravan fridge and a couple wore through the sides of the cans on rough tracks.  What a waste and a mess.
Cheers
Brian

Offline towtug

• SX Member
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2016, 06:36:52 PM »
I always use the plastic ones and they don't rust while they're not being used.

Offline Big Damo

• LS-U Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
my opinion is that metal cans are more durable although in saying that I have a couple of plastic ones that seem to be air tight.
have 1 plastic on that I will not use due to leak around the cap so needs to be kept  upright
All 4 steel cans even with dry seals are still not leaking

Offline glenm64

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 09:27:45 PM »
You've done everything else Dave, put the LR tank in and be done with it!
Ive got steel and plastic, my steel ones havent left the shed in years.

Cheers Glen
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline jeffr

• SX Member
  • 2011 DMax Dual Cab
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »
I spent 20 years in the Army where we used metal jerry cans. Had several erode with vibrations and leak, and needed to use a filter to guard against debris (rust, welding slag, internal paint flaking?) when unloading the fuel into the vehicle tank.

As a civvy, I was an early adopter of plastic fuel cans, never looked back although I must confess I recently had to exchange some Proquuip container caps (used by Track Trailers as OEM) which were recalled as described here: http://www.proquip.com.au/ProductPages/JerryCans/CapRecallMay2015.html
2011 DMax Dual Cab | A Future Classic

Offline macka17

• LS-T Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 11:47:03 PM »
Hi.
I carry several Plastic when we go away.
2 x water 2 x diesel
What I've done is get a length of light carpet runner (staircase width.)
one cut length on floor of ute. with other zig zagged between the containers
and them standing on bottom piece.

A strap round them keeps 'em contained and no rubbing going on.
Worked for 50 yrs so far. metal and plastic.
(and I think it's the original piece of carpet too... Chuckle.)

dlncooke

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 11:35:12 AM »
You've done everything else Dave, put the LR tank in and be done with it!
Ive got steel and plastic, my steel ones havent left the shed in years.

Ha Glen. I did install a 130 litre long range tank. ARB Poly tank.

Cheers
Dave

Cheers Glen

Offline muxman

• SX Member
  • M-UX & Landcruiser
« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2016, 08:52:50 PM »
I just bought my LST delivered in May 16 ordered with a 124 L long range tank but on future long trip outback and around OZ will still be carrying 2 x 20L plastic just to provide that extra distance and a better feeling of security. Will have a 20' Caravan in tow so extra fuel will ease the mind.
Cheers 
M-UX LST Auto & Landcruiser manual

Offline mickeymac

• SX Member
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2016, 11:50:02 AM »
As a new mux owner and my 1st diesel, could anyone advise on whether these jerry cans have any condensation, and if so how do you avoid it.
I seem to see a lot of articles on water in diesel engines and so would like to be alert to any such problems.
thanks mickeymac

Offline ginting

• SX Member
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »
As a new mux owner and my 1st diesel, could anyone advise on whether these jerry cans have any condensation, and if so how do you avoid it.
I seem to see a lot of articles on water in diesel engines and so would like to be alert to any such problems.
thanks mickeymac
Water must come from air in jerry cans..so the basic way is to fill the jerry can until full. Put the cap, so there is very minor qty air trapped inside the jerry can.
To certain degree, the separator is able to catch water cobtain in diesel fuel. No worries.
Diesel engine is not as fragile as that.

Sent from my K012 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal