Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Tent carrying  (Read 4725 times)

dlncooke

Tent carrying
« on: Dec 07, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »

Anyone have an OZtent. was wondering how you carry it.
straight on your racks or do you have a better method,

Cheers
Dave

Offline Parko96

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Re: Tent carrying
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2015, 05:42:12 PM »
Hi Dave,

Prior to my MUX and full length tradesman rack I owned an X-trail with traditional cross bars.

The X-trails cross bars were not spread very far apart and I worried about the stress on the OZtents aluminium frame with the overhang at each end. I ended up welding up a quick frame out of gal rolled hollow section a bit bigger than the OZtent, I then welded some mesh onto this frame. I then got a Rhino Rack set of U clamps to clamp the rack to the cross bars. Essentially it was  like a steel farm gate perfectly sized for the Oztent that bolted to the roof racks. I would simply just strap the tent onto the rack with ratchet straps. There was no longer any worry about the tents inner frame bending due to the overhang.

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
Dave we have a 30 second tent and used to carry it on the roof rack on our Patrol and sometimes even in the back with all the seats folded flat. It was a tight fit but it just went in there diagonally.

Our son uses it from time to time and he puts it in the back of his Dmax diagonally. He wants to get some racks of some sort though.
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline MuxGuys

• LS-T Member
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2015, 08:38:17 PM »
I mounted my Rhino racks 1000mm apart so I only have 400mm over hang on the RV4.....seams all good for "normal" reasonable road touring.......but I have a plan for a light weight alloy basket to take the Oztent when a rougher long distance road trip is expected to cover the concerns you mention. Rack will take the MaxTraxs too.

Cheers

dlncooke

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2015, 07:10:12 AM »
I came across this rack setup. $1080 installed. if you have the H/D internal bracket,

http://www.tradesmanroofracks.com.au/canopy-max-roof-rack/

Cheers
Dave

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »
My initial thoughts are that it is a bit expensive but having gone to the site and looked at the racks I think they are probably on the money.

You could do it a bit cheaper of course but perhaps the quality won't be there. I think most canopies these days have the internal frame dont they?

It would be nicer if they utilised the rail in the cars roof as well for that extra load sharing support and not just on a fibreglass or plastic canopy.
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline DMaximus

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:33:12 AM »
It would be nicer if they utilised the rail in the cars roof as well for that extra load sharing support and not just on a fibreglass or plastic canopy.

Not sure about that.

My understanding is that there's movement between the cabin and tub. Securing to both might break or bend something.

I could be wrong... it does happen  ;)

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:34:12 AM »

Not sure about that.

My understanding is that there's movement between the cabin and tub. Securing to both might break or bend something.

Yes I would say you are correct.

Offline Parko96

• XRunner Member
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »

Not sure about that.

You are correct DMaximus.

Offline Parko96

• XRunner Member
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »

My initial thoughts are that it is a bit expensive but having gone to the site and looked at the racks I think they are probably on the money.

You could do it a bit cheaper of course but perhaps the quality won't be there. I think most canopies these days have the internal frame dont they?

I have one of their flat steel racks on my MUX.
I can't fault it. Well worth the coin.

dlncooke

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2015, 02:14:24 PM »

Not sure about that.

Yes I would say you are correct.

I checked with the supplier, they only bolt to the canopy brackets, but you must have the heavy duty brackets (which i have). to do it properly. $1068 supplied and fitted.

Looks like I'll be able to take more junk with me on the next trip !

Dave

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:10:25 AM »

Looks like I'll be able to take more junk with me on the next trip !

Dave

That would suit my wife perfectly.....we go away for a couple of days and bring back enough food to last a week at home ;) Not that Im suggesting you keep food on the roof rack!

Offline DMaximus

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
That would suit my wife perfectly.....we go away for a couple of days and bring back enough food to last a week at home ;) Not that Im suggesting you keep food on the roof rack!

Or your wife for that matter....

Sorry mate but you left yourself open to that one.  :laughing7:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal