Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: GPS & Navigation apps/ units  (Read 12688 times)

Offline TCMTB

• LS-M Member
  • Car Type: MUX
GPS & Navigation apps/ units
« on: Nov 28, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »
Only having the LS-U I don't have the inbuilt gps/sat Nav system. Looking at several alternatives and having an existing iPad (non-sim model so no inbuilt gps), I chose to go purchase the Hema maps (4x4 version) app and a Garmin GLO gps for connecting via Bluetooth. I chose the 4x4 version as I only need the maps for touring and not general navigation around a city.

Having used the system several times now the overall system works very well. The Hema app comes with the majority of hema maps available and the connection to the Garmin unit has worked with no issues and picks up a signal relatively quickly (can even store it in the top passenger glovebox and keeps a signal.)

There are other apps available if you don't want to be bound to Hema, but ive been happy enough with Hema and the number of base maps included. Also the trick to get the app/apps cheaper is to by an apple voucher when stores have 20% off, so I was able to pick up the $100 app for $80.

The Garmin GLO unit is also a pretty cheap Bluetooth gps connection option, other comparable product for similar price is the bad elf gps that connects to the iPad, but I was after Bluetooth connection so I could store the GPS seperately.

Just thought I would share my experience as I found very little info on people using the iPad/Garmin GLO combo, and for $200 (with existing iPad) all up I'm pretty happy.

Offline MuxGuys

• LS-T Member
Re: GPS & Navigation apps/ units
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2015, 10:51:11 PM »
iPad for us too, although we have the 3G with AGPS.....using MudMaps with the added 1:25,000 Topo's most of our regular destinations......haven't decided if we will upgrade to the new version 3  :nono: The incentive from MudMaps for there existing customers to upgrade is lacking in my opinion.

We use the Tom Tom app Turn by Turn if the LST GPS doesn't cover us......the Mud Maps, Tom Tom and GPS utilities app is shared on the iPad and both our iPhones.....for navigation on the bike the iPhone is in a Lifeproof water/shock proof case mounted via a modified Lifeproof belt holder to a RAM mount on the bikes dash.

Offline terryzarmzoff

• LS-M Member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2015, 06:46:20 AM »
check out the metroview app for apple stuff. cheap and really good, auto upgrades

Offline MellieJ

• LS-M Member
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »
Hmm. I fear maps uploaded on our tablet would crash it big time.
I did find on good old ebay dash pieces with the gps (I'm LS U too) so am tempted to go that way... If I do will post.

Offline johnhu

• LS-M Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »
Nice write-up.  As you say there are other apps available if you want to use maps other than Hema's.

I normally use an app called "Memory-Map". Its available on Apple, Android and Windows PC's. The app itself is free, but you need to buy the maps.  The Hema maps are available, as well as many other sets such as EOTopo, Westprint and other Topographic maps. http://memory-map.com.au/digital-maps/topographic-maps-australia.html

If you have maps in OziExplorer format, it is also possible to convert SOME of them (OZFX2 format and some OZFX3 before encryption was introduced) to Memory Map format. It's not a straightforward process and you do need to upgrade the PC version of memory-map to include the "Import 3rd Party Maps" function.  Using this I've converted my Rooftop, VicMaps and WA-CALM maps.

Anyhow, just another option to consider for those looking into this topic.

John

Offline Akil

• SX Member
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2015, 01:29:26 PM »
I'm also running Memory-Map to access Hema maps on an Android Tablet with an external GPS receiver. Works well for me.

- Ian

dlncooke

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2016, 10:13:23 PM »
I bought a Garmin Glo today & new triple ram mount to set up with my Ipad2. had a quick play and it seems to work real well.
Want get a chance to really test it for another week or so.
They pair very quickly and I was walking around my front yard and Hema was showing my
location moving.

Pretty happy so far.

Cheers
Dave

Offline glenm64

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:15:27 AM »
I've got a poverty pack space cab and have fitted a fleabay unit from Dig options about 6 months ago.
all in all reasonably happy with unit.
Runs an on road navigation and also Oziexplorer for off road, which takes a bit to get use to.
It also has 3 way split screen for GPS rear van camera etc. the only problem with it is sun glare makes viewing it a PITA.I got a Nushield dayvue anti glare stick on film for it and it worked a treat.
Reverse camera has quick start up, stereo pretty good and stereo menu easy to use.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bob D

• LS-M Member
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:35:06 PM »
I did the same as glenm64 and had fitted 4 or 5 months ago a Dig Options stereo with nav/dvd/bluetooth and reversing camera.  Very happy with the unit.  Also purchased it from eBay.  Had it fitted by a fellow nominated by my local Supercheap store (they don't sell stereo/nav units) but were happy to pass on their installers name.  The installer told me he has fitted several Dig Options units and has had no negative feed back to date.  Like I said I'm very happy with mine.

Bob D   

Offline Bookleaf

• LS-U Member
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:40:37 PM »
Another Dig Options installer (self installed)
Got mine direct from Dig Options (Australia - Melbourne) the week I picked up the new car.
White MUX- LSM, Dig-Options GPS and reversing camera, Anderson plug & VSR. Bent front number plate and various scratches and knocks underneath from 4wd-ing.

Offline ith47

• SX Member
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:15:48 AM »
Where did you get your Nushield Dayvue film? Local or imported? I have the same problem with my unit.

Offline glenm64

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2016, 01:35:59 PM »
Where did you get your Nushield Dayvue film? Local or imported? I have the same problem with my unit.
Bought it direct from their site.
Emailed them screen size and they sent one to fit. Had to trim about 2mm of one edge.
It works brilliant as per photo of screen in the part sun.
Cheers Glen

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bob D

• LS-M Member
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »
You're obviously more adventurous than me Bookleaf taking on the installation of the unit.  I must get one of those Nushield Dayvue anti-glare stick on films though.

Bob D

Offline Bookleaf

• LS-U Member
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:16:58 PM »
Bob B
It was not all that difficult really. The unit comes with all wiring and wiring adapter plug to match the unit to the car wiring harness that comes with the car, so it is very much plug and play.  The hardest part, that hurt was taking the Dremil tool to the plastic of the dash to enable the unit to sit in flat.  For a brand new car, that hurt.

The other challenging part was feeding the camera cable into the boot lid (camera in approx the same place the factory camera is placed - under the silver number plate trim) .  Had the boot liner, rubber flex tube at top right, wheel arch internal liner and floor/door trim off for this. Also tricky picking up the reversing camera power from the light on the rear bumper. Would have been much easier if the light was up with the tail light.
The camera mounted here is in the ideal place.  Can see the tow ball at the bottom of the screen and the horizon at the top.  Camera comes with those colored distance lines built in - very handy.
White MUX- LSM, Dig-Options GPS and reversing camera, Anderson plug & VSR. Bent front number plate and various scratches and knocks underneath from 4wd-ing.

Offline Bob D

• LS-M Member
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:30:56 PM »
After that post Bookleaf I now know why I got an installer in to do the work.  I hate pulling and tugging at those internal panels that conceal the wiring, the installer really knew his work in getting them off without any fuss.
Even the reversing camera wiring wasn't a problem for him.  I must agree though the reversing camera display is great with the coloured distance lines.

Bob D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal