Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Off road trailer hitch  (Read 6292 times)

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Off road trailer hitch
« on: Oct 26, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »
Thinking of replacing my poly block style hitch with a McHitch - cant see how the receiver attaches to tongue, I am thinking just like a tow ball, wanting to use the standard wider Isuzu tongue, making sure it will fit.

Main question anyone got one and how do you rate it.

This one
http://www.mchitch.com.au/#!product/prd1/3762440091/2-tonne-bolt-on-weld-on-automatic-coupler

DmaxDave

Re: Off road trailer hitch
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2015, 10:49:59 PM »
Hey grant, I have the 3.5t McHitch and rate it very highly.  It is quite because the only moving part is the universal joint.  It articulates more than most offroad hitches.  And it is easy to hook up and unhook, particularly important when on uneven surfaces or at a bit of an angle.  The trailer hitch has two little lugs which lock onto either side of the vehicle's tow tongue.  I can measure the width tomorrow night but it is a standard Hayman Reece tow tongue that I use.

Dave

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »
Thanks Dave, yeah I do like the look of them, I want to try and get the Isuzu tongue back on for the camper, I also have the Standard Hayman Reece tongue I use for the camper now, but I need to modify it, it is a bit long for MUX tow bar, hangs out the receiver by about 50mm to the tongue, it all seems to work ok but extra leverage by extended tongue is a bit of a worry, measurements would be good, thanks

DmaxDave

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2015, 11:01:27 PM »
I have the ARB rear step and tow bar.  It uses a standard HR tongue but a fairly low one.  Even with my suspension lift, I wasn't happy with it for the CT.  OK for the box trailer.  Bought a higher HR hitch with the correct length to hitch pin but the shaft was 40mm too long so I just cut it off.  Now I've got the perfect height for the CT with the McHitch and a second tongue with a ball for the garden trailer.

Dave

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2015, 11:11:41 PM »
Think I will do similar Dave, cut off extra length and re-drill hole for the pin, height wise mine sits ok, once lift done on mux will be close to perfect, dont think there will be any height difference between poly block and mchitch.

DmaxDave

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2015, 11:25:56 PM »
dont think there will be any height difference between poly block and mchitch.

Not sure.  Let me give that some thought when I can look at mine tomorrow arvo

Dave

Offline rocky and bullwinkle

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2015, 04:34:02 AM »
I also have a Oz Hitch on my camper it fit on a standard receiver, I use my reversing camera on the Terrain to line it up easy to use. I have a MCC4X4 rear bar.

Sorry I had to add a correction in what type of hitch I have.

Offline MarkDaSpark

• LS-U Member
  • MY15 LS-U D-Max CrewCab
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2015, 06:49:17 AM »
I use o hitch master do35 hitch on my camp trailer.

I love it and highly recommend them:

http://www.vehiclecomponents.com.au/hitches-couplings/hitchmaster-do35-v21-trailer-coupling-1
2015 LS-U D-Max | Auto | White | TowBar | Alloy Sports Bars | Loopless Tonneau Cover | Rhino Lining | Bonnet & Headlight Protectors

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2015, 08:11:17 PM »
Thanks for the links and info, ideally I would like to use the Isuzu tongue, but I also have a Hayman. I liked the McHitch basically because of the way it hitches - straight in no lifting on or lowering onto

Isuzu standard tongue is 95mm wide, the hayman reece is 75mm wide, so ideally would like a hitch that fits onto the Isuzu tongue

Offline als4b

• SX Member
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »
Are you talking about the auto coupler , I have the 3.5 ton drop on hitch and that's good. I don't know anything about the auto one

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Offline MarkDaSpark

• LS-U Member
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »
Thanks for the links and info, ideally I would like to use the Isuzu tongue, but I also have a Hayman. I liked the McHitch basically because of the way it hitches - straight in no lifting on or lowering onto

Isuzu standard tongue is 95mm wide, the hayman reece is 75mm wide, so ideally would like a hitch that fits onto the Isuzu tongue

I'm using the Isuzu tongue mate  :icon_thumleft:
2015 LS-U D-Max | Auto | White | TowBar | Alloy Sports Bars | Loopless Tonneau Cover | Rhino Lining | Bonnet & Headlight Protectors

Offline grantm

• LS-T Member
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2015, 09:26:24 PM »

Just looking at that one, I am liking the way the receiver works, bolts on like tow ball

DmaxDave

« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2015, 09:31:13 PM »
Just looking at that one, I am liking the way the receiver works, bolts on like tow ball

Same as the McHitch  ;)

Dave

Offline MarkDaSpark

• LS-U Member
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »

Yeah I'm happy with it.

I've got the 1st model......this new one has a few extra features .....the dust cover should be good.

There's grease nipples all over it and you just pump grease through to flush out any crap.....wipe off excess and job done.

And at 3.5T capacity......is more than capable of handling anything you throw at it

dlncooke

« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2015, 09:59:24 PM »
We used a 3.5T Ozhitch on our camper trailer, fantastic unit,
Quick, strong and well made.

Cheers
Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal