Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Prado "upgrades"  (Read 10380 times)

Offline TCMTB

• LS-M Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Re: Prado "upgrades"
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »
I was seriously considering waiting for the Fortuner to see specs and price point before getting the MUX. Glad I didn't as overpriced the way I see it. Could pick up a run out Prado gxl for under 62k not long ago. Seems to make the Prado the 'premium' car and push prices up. Definitely expecting people to pay a premium for the badge.

Offline jeeves01

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:31:22 PM »
You have to give it to Toyota. There is only one other company that rivals them, if fact smashes them, in the "YOU WILL PAY US MORE" stakes for a product that is no better,sometimes not as good, sometimes a bit better and that's Apple.
Forget the Hilux and Prado the biggest brainwashing exercise in the pay more get less stakes, and Toyota is THE only company that could do it, is the 70 series thing. I'm not sure what they call them now. It's the biggest joke ever pulled on the motoring public. A motoring death trap with 2 airbags and a V8 motor and NOTHING else. My mate has one. He likes it because he reckons power windows can break 'and then what do you do?'. I bag him every chance I get. Cool..it's strong..so what...most people never need strong. Power windows might break but generally never do. The thing is a s..t box on wheels. Rough, noisy, uncomfortable but boy is it strong!!! What do they start at....about $60k
I can remember many years back Toyota threatened to pull the thing off the market if it had to re-engineer it to have 2 airbags.
What about the 200 series...the cheapest starts at about $83k. That's the CHEAPEST. The Sahara is $122k. When I think about it...that leaves the 70 series for dead I guess except it does include a few things for the price...including power windows and it's probably even got air conditioning :laughing7:
MY15 SX Spacecab,white,auto,alloys,ARB deluxe steel bar,Ironman 9500lb winch,O'Brien 2200mm alloy tray,1800mm trundle draw,Tinted,Mortels Genuine sheepskin seat covers,ARB Side Steps, Rails,Rear Diff Lock & Full Underbody Protection,AVM HP hubs,Safari Snorkel

Offline dogsbreakfast

• LS-T Member
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:58:42 PM »
Yep good old toyota tax. I have a VX 200 series for work and dont get me wrong its a great car but nearly 100k!

The 76 series is a 1980s japanese prado with a v8 for nearly 70k and the wheel tracks dont even match. The front diff is 100mm wider than the rear.

Crazy.
2014 MU-X Fjord blue, TJM T13 bullbar, Runva Winch, 20" lightbar, Custom Bilstein shocks with Dobinson Springs, Hankook 265/70 r17.

Offline Billy

• LS-T Member
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2015, 06:11:35 AM »
If Toyota has become the Apple of the car world then I will do what I did years ago, move to Windows! Or, Isuzu in this case. There is no justifiable reason to spend 10k and more on a car that will do exactly the same thing as the more competitively priced car. The MU-X even has better styling, the Fortuner styling definitely takes some getting used to.
Can't wait to get the Isuzu...

Offline Billy

• LS-T Member
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:43:07 AM »
Checked out the Fortuner on the weekend, didn't bother going for a test drive because of the sticker price. The car is nice but isn't perfect and is definitely overpriced, whether prices will drop in the future is another thing but the Fortuner is still priced better than the Ford Everest. Having said all that, I had another play with the MU-X and its a whole lotta car for not much money in comparison. Fit & finish inside is better on the Toyota but not $15,000 better by any stretch of the imagination, the boot is very cramped with the upward & side folding 3rd row seats, the styling is OK but MU-X is still more contemporary in its styling. The 2800kg towing of the auto is also a slight let down when the Isuzu can do 3000kg. Probably a lot more I could harp on about but I am sure we all have better things to do!
Cheers,
Bill.

Offline archviper

• LS-M Member
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2015, 08:10:04 AM »
....Fit & finish inside is better on the Toyota but not $15,000 better by any stretch of the imagination...

I guess as long as you can bear the difference in the 'interior design' of both vehicles than $15K can be used to build the MUX to a better tourer and/or a rock hopper...  for me, it is the engine that counts and ISUZU has the proven history (reliability)...

Offline Billy

• LS-T Member
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2015, 08:53:16 AM »
....Fit & finish inside is better on the Toyota but not $15,000 better by any stretch of the imagination...

I guess as long as you can bear the difference in the 'interior design' of both vehicles than $15K can be used to build the MUX to a better tourer and/or a rock hopper...  for me, it is the engine that counts and ISUZU has the proven history (reliability)...

I can definitely bare the difference in fact to me it makes no difference. The interior of either car will look like crap after 10 years of ownership with two kids!

Offline Billy

• LS-T Member
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »
More trivia - Looks like Toyota have put the Fortuner in front of Prado in the line-up, wonder what the thinking is there?

Offline Big Damo

• LS-U Member
« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2015, 02:47:11 PM »
I was looking at the very sexy Everest but the prices stopped me from getting serious.
Was also going to wait and see the Fortuner as the prices seemed better and appearance in the email photos also looked good
However the Isuzu dealer was prepared to meet a very reasonable drive away price. probably due to the soon to be released fortuner and I couldn't walk away.
Now that I have seen the Toyota in the flesh I can definitely say that we got the better looking car
Also think that over time the mux mechanically will outlast with it's low stress running gear
 :occasion14:
Damo

Offline ryjoe

• LS-U Member
  • Owner of www.onlinecameraed.com
    • Online Camera Ed
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2015, 02:54:12 PM »
I see so many Prado's everyday I can't keep up with counting them, same goes for Hilux. Will be interesting to see how the Everest and MU-X sales go when the Fortuner is available.
Billy we are much the same.  Have had Toyotas for many years and now have our MUX.  We are caravanners and the tow capacity of the Isuzu was a major factor for us when buying.  Prado is rated at 2.5T and is very expensive.  In addition I always feel like Toyotas are a bit light on for extras given what you are paying.  The Fortuner has a bit better tow capacity and is marginally cheaper but like all Toyotas is still expensive.  All that I can say is that the Toyota lineup is getting very congested.  I would love to know if they have plans to drop something out of their range in the near future.  Time will tell hey?
For the money we are happy with MUX.
Cheers
Brian

Offline Billy

• LS-T Member
« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »
When I first saw the current generation of MU-X and D-MAX, back in 2013 at the Royal Australian Easter Show I was skeptical. New consumer based models from a commercial based manufacturer. I thought, no way, can't match Toyota but I was totally wrong. The thing that surprised me the most is how Isuzu got it right the very first time with these models and they are standing the test of time. People that 'know' want them for the right reason, they aren't perfect or the most up to date but they are very well priced and dependable.

DmaxDave

« Reply #26 on: Nov 05, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »
When I first saw the current generation of MU-X and D-MAX, back in 2013 at the Royal Australian Easter Show I was skeptical. New consumer based models from a commercial based manufacturer. I thought, no way, can't match Toyota but I was totally wrong. The thing that surprised me the most is how Isuzu got it right the very first time with these models and they are standing the test of time. People that 'know' want them for the right reason, they aren't perfect or the most up to date but they are very well priced and dependable.

Umm, the Isuzu MU has a long history, even badged as a Honda at one stage.  Plus the Gemini, Colorado and Jackaroo, until mid 2012, were all Isuzus.  Isuzu have a long history making "consumer based models".

Dave

Offline Billy

• LS-T Member
« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2015, 03:53:15 PM »

Umm, the Isuzu MU has a long history, even badged as a Honda at one stage.  Plus the Gemini, Colorado and Jackaroo, until mid 2012, were all Isuzus.  Isuzu have a long history making "consumer based models".

Dave

Just shows you how bright my Toyota blinkers were Dave  :laughing7:

Offline Billy

• LS-T Member
« Reply #28 on: Nov 05, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
I see so many Prado's everyday I can't keep up with counting them, same goes for Hilux. Will be interesting to see how the Everest and MU-X sales go when the Fortuner is available.
Billy we are much the same.  Have had Toyotas for many years and now have our MUX.  We are caravanners and the tow capacity of the Isuzu was a major factor for us when buying.  Prado is rated at 2.5T and is very expensive.  In addition I always feel like Toyotas are a bit light on for extras given what you are paying.  The Fortuner has a bit better tow capacity and is marginally cheaper but like all Toyotas is still expensive.  All that I can say is that the Toyota lineup is getting very congested.  I would love to know if they have plans to drop something out of their range in the near future.  Time will tell hey?
For the money we are happy with MUX.
Cheers
Brian

I do wonder how the Prado has managed to sell so well considering the lower towing capacity but I guess Prado buyers are possibly buying Prado's for the 'wrong' reasons. Each to their own, it's still a nice car and excellent 4WD but price is crazy - Glad you are happy with the MU-X Brian.

dlncooke

« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2015, 02:15:46 PM »
Upgrade... buy a Dmax

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal