General Boards > Off Topic

Electric Cars !

<< < (3/4) > >>

257Bob:
My biggest issue with EVs is travelling for extended trips away from urban areas.  I can throw five 20L drums of diesel on the back and top up when I need to. 

Will I now need to take a generator and drums of petrol?  How fast will a generator charge the battery?  Do I need to get up in the middle of the night and refuel the generator?  Will the bloody generator have to run all night keeping me awake? 

I think a small EV would be good living in the city if you lived the city life style, but what about those of us who want to travel to remote places?  Can you imagine reaching some remote town on a near empty battery and seeing 50 grey nomads lined up waiting to charge. 

I can see someone calling an ambulance and it doesn't turn up because it's run flat.  Or watching your house burn down because the fire truck is charging.  Imagine trying to fight bush fires and the vehicles are all charging for an hour or more.  Imagine trying to flee from a bushfire and your vehicle needs charging and there are 50 people trying to charge at four stations.  I don't think those in charge have thought through some of these issues fully. 

Bob:
Obviously EV is not for everybody but i think it fits my future use quiet well.

Valkie, I don't know where you got those figure from but I doubt they they are correct otherwise you could not charge it at home. :dontknow:

dilbert:

--- Quote from: Bob on Mar 27, 2024, 05:09:30 PM ---My D-Max has just ticked over 10 years and 100,000km and I have ticked over 71 years.

I feel I only have another year or 2 of caravaning in me, it is just so much work to pack and unpack and we have been just about everywhere we want to go a couple of times.

My thoughts are to sell the rig and trade my wifes car in on a new EV. I don't see us doing many more country trips and only venture out of home to go shopping or visit the kids so charging an EV at home will be about all we need and using our 5kw of solar and charging during the day (setting a time switch for daylight hours means that we are not paying for power to charge the EV.

This will likely be our last car so want to make the correct choice a and EV seems a good option to me.

--- End quote ---

Hey Bob, in the words of Clint Eastwood, Toby Keith and Willie Nelson..."Don't let the old man in" mate. I'm only a couple of years behind you, and have no plans to let go of the MU-X.

guyfromaus:
The  battery reduces in capacity as it ages   so if you get 400k on a charge when new  it will be lesser as it ages!
On talk back radio in Adelaide today a motor trader said a 2 yo Tesla with  say 50k on the clock would not be popular with dealers- unlikely would trade in.

257Bob:

--- Quote from: Bob on Mar 27, 2024, 05:09:30 PM ---My D-Max has just ticked over 10 years and 100,000km and I have ticked over 71 years.

I feel I only have another year or 2 of caravaning in me, it is just so much work to pack and unpack and we have been just about everywhere we want to go a couple of times.

My thoughts are to sell the rig and trade my wifes car in on a new EV. I don't see us doing many more country trips and only venture out of home to go shopping or visit the kids so charging an EV at home will be about all we need and using our 5kw of solar and charging during the day (setting a time switch for daylight hours means that we are not paying for power to charge the EV.

This will likely be our last car so want to make the correct choice a and EV seems a good option to me.

--- End quote ---

Maybe sell the caravan and concentrate on day trips.  Don't stop doing what you love.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version