Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: GoPro Thread  (Read 5265 times)

Offline knoath

GoPro Thread
« on: Jul 08, 2015, 04:28:54 PM »
Thinking about grabbing a second hand GoPro to film some 4x4ing and holiday vids… looking at somewhere around $300
What model and why?
I'd like to get a suction cup to mount to the door etc, what other ways do you mount your GoPro? Can you post some footage?

After a great HiDef picture and sound, but not overly concerned about slo-mo quality.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

dlncooke

Re: GoPro Thread
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »
I'm thinking of buying one of these. $399 US, spose around $500 here

https://360fly.com/

The Good Guys !
http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/gopro-hero3-plus-silver-edition-gpchdhn-302

Cheers
Dave

Offline bannaLST

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »
battery life on the go-pro's are dismal , might be better off with a dash cam , then it serves 2 purposes, but you wont be able to mount it on the outside  :) 

Offline wintrmute

• LS-T Member
  • MU-X LS-U
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2015, 05:44:31 PM »
If you haven't heard of them already, RAM Mounts are great for attaching CENSORED to other CENSORED. Phones, GPS, cameras, whatever -- and it's all modular.
ie. You can buy a suction base, and a rollbar mount base, and a phone holder and a gopro holder, and then rotate the holders between the bases.

for the actual action cameras, might be worth looking at the Sony ActionCam too -- they're nice in having a built-in GPS and IMHO a nicer physical design.
Downside -- accessories are limited and more expensive, and of course, everyone has a GoPro. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending.
Upsides -- if you take it out of the waterproof case, then it's still considered "splashproof" AND has a USB port you can use to run the thing, so if it's inside the car you can power it indefinitely.
2015 Mu-x LS-U Fjord blue; Geolander A/T-S; GME CB; Roof tray

dlncooke

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »
x2 for the RAM mounts,

Offline knoath

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2015, 06:21:56 PM »
Thanks fellas… I've got a RAM mount for my tablet (Maps) but I don't know if I'd trust the suction outside the car… it's almost fallen off the windscreen already!

Offline knoath

« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2015, 06:26:30 PM »

DmaxDave

« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
The new GoPro Session looks intersting.  No need for a waterproof case and very small

http://shop.gopro.com/APAC/cameras/hero4-session/CHDHS-101-EU.html

Dave

Offline wintrmute

• LS-T Member
  • MU-X LS-U
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »
Just found this… it's out of stock atm, but I'll see if my local store can get one!
(link to jaycar cam)
If that's from Jaycar, you can probably pick one up on ebay or dx et al for a quarter of the price. Suspect none of these are that awesome though.
See http://www.banggood.com/buy/Action-camera.html for a whole bunch of cheapies.

Offline wintrmute

• LS-T Member
  • MU-X LS-U
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »
The new GoPro Session looks intersting.  No need for a waterproof case and very small

That looks great! I retract my statement about considering the Sony :) That gopro looks way better.
$$$ though. I think I paid half that much for my Sony.

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2015, 11:18:31 AM »
GoPro's are nice, but I'm not sure I want to pay the GoPro tax (much like Toyota tax).

For those of you interested, I was having a look at getting a dashcam installed, and from the quotes I have received, for the price of a GoPro, you can go a 1080P dual channel (front and rear) BlackVue dashcam fully installed.

Some models have their own power management so it won't drain your car battery, and it can record movement if someone bumps your vehicle in the car park for example. They are quite handy for insurance claims, or reporting idiot drivers on Facebook  :laughing7:

Something like this for example: http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=25
MU-X LS-T MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Snorkel | Isuzu Tow Bar | ARB Deluxe Combo Bar | Geolander A/T G015 255/65R17 | "Be the change you want to see."

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2015, 11:39:38 AM »
I won't get into go pro vs other brands because I never really considered other brands but I use a go pro and these are my findings when researching.

We went with a hero4 mainly because it has a screen on the back so I can easily see what I am videoing. It has a good wifi set up built in so I can easily connect it to my phone or iPad etc to see/control what I am videoing when the go pro is mounted away from me.

I love its time-lapse features and its night time features, especially in low light.

"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal