Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: So Called Experts - Repco  (Read 2923 times)

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
    • Wife & I 4WD
So Called Experts - Repco
« on: Apr 12, 2022, 01:17:45 PM »
Got an air chuck for my ARB compressor from bunnings, and its not sealed, meaning that when you connect it air flows. So I went to Sydney Tools, all they had were unsealed ones. I thought, "I'm not dreaming here, am I? I go to a servo and use the pressure control systems that use these chucks, and air doesn't flow until you engage it onto the valve." Sydney Tools said to try supercheap, repco, etc. So went to Repco yesterday as it was on the way home. The guy found one in their distributors book, got in it last night and went to get it this morning. Unsealed. He said they only come that way, trying to make excuses for me to buy that one. He wasn't happy he ordered it special for me not buy it.

Got online this morning, 5 minutes later, found exactly what I thought existed, a sealed chuck for pressure control systems: https://www.automegastore.com.au/clip-on-chuck-brass-1-4-sealing

Repco wanted to charge me $20 for the one they ordered. I paid about $3 for the one I got from bunnings to discover this entire issue. Online, $8 each. So I got two, just in case.

WTF is wrong with these people? Telling me that a sealed one doesn't exist and that I should buy what they ordered. I lost faith in Repco today.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline Achis

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Re: So Called Experts - Repco
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2022, 07:00:25 PM »
Repco were a good store------about 40 years ago.
Happiest when taking 4 hours to travel 20 klm.

Offline xcvator

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2022, 10:49:57 AM »
You do know what the initials REPCO stands for ?

RipEveryPoorC###tOf
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

The following users thanked this post: WAI4WD

Offline Stepho_62

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
  • Never go back the same way you came
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2022, 08:35:03 PM »
Got an air chuck for my ARB compressor from bunnings, and its not sealed, meaning that when you connect it air flows. So I went to Sydney Tools, all they had were unsealed ones. I thought, "I'm not dreaming here, am I? I go to a servo and use the pressure control systems that use these chucks, and air doesn't flow until you engage it onto the valve." Sydney Tools said to try supercheap, repco, etc. So went to Repco yesterday as it was on the way home. The guy found one in their distributors book, got in it last night and went to get it this morning. Unsealed. He said they only come that way, trying to make excuses for me to buy that one. He wasn't happy he ordered it special for me not buy it.

Got online this morning, 5 minutes later, found exactly what I thought existed, a sealed chuck for pressure control systems: https://www.automegastore.com.au/clip-on-chuck-brass-1-4-sealing

Repco wanted to charge me $20 for the one they ordered. I paid about $3 for the one I got from bunnings to discover this entire issue. Online, $8 each. So I got two, just in case.

WTF is wrong with these people? Telling me that a sealed one doesn't exist and that I should buy what they ordered. I lost faith in Repco today.

I feel your pain AND in my daytime role I’m the bloke from Repco.  I’m not sure what Repco buys in but my mob (anyone other than me) would probably have tried to tell you the same thing. 

I think some of the reasons might be as follows

• Generally speaking they have very little technical detail
  • Most of the cheap Chinese crap that we sell is sealed up in theft proof packages making it impossible to open test.
  • There is no technical information even from competitors parts books or website
  • Broadly speaking they get paid 23-24 $ an hour.  That doesn’t buy you much and there is no reward for going the xtra mile for a customer.
  • A lot of these people are semi skilled and mechanically semi literate ( for anyone in my business that is interested I run engine/mechanical theory info sessions based on stuff I used to teach trainee pilots).
  • Most of these people haven’t realised that an air chuck should seal until it put onto a valve stem and the air flows.
They quality of the crap we sell as opposed to some of the stuff I used to work with 45 years ago when I started my trade are poles apart. Providing it will work through 50 iterations and last a month then the s in charge are happy.

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv, WAI4WD

Offline mewgaf

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
  • If I wake up, it’s a good day.
    • Prostate Trek Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2022, 06:36:24 PM »
Yes it is sad when the buyer knows more than the people selling the stuff, then they get angry with you when you point out it is not what you what or will not do the job because of this fault when you look at it.
I did have one young guy thank me for explaining how something worked and send he would train his staff. Next time in after about six months he remembered me and thanked me and gave me a good discount.
It gave me some small hope for the future.
Mark
Have you had a PSA blood test lately.
This could save your life.
Prostate Cancer is no joke.
https://prostatetrek.org.au

The following users thanked this post: WAI4WD

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal