Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: You really want a Toyota ?  (Read 2884 times)

Offline xcvator

spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv

Offline yvesjv

Re: You really want a Toyota ?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2022, 02:08:03 PM »
That would hurt.
And they also had another towards their Denso fuel pumps.

Offline OldMucks

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2022, 12:04:18 PM »
I think a lot of other companys will be worried as well. We might all end up with the magic button.

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2022, 08:30:44 AM »
This poorly "engineered?" fix was always going to be an issue.
The moron that came up with it originally was obviously on contract and is long gone.
Other manufacturers SHOULD be worried, very worried.
A vehicle must be made to suit the purpose for which it was sold.
If you cant drive a car, like a car, under normal conditions.
It is not suitable for the purpose for which is was sold.
I foresee a lot more of these class actions and hopefully a functional solution.
Like an easily interchangeable/ replaceable filter sold for a reasonable price that can be swapped out when full.
Just like an oil filter or air filter.

LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline OldMucks

• LS-T Member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2022, 11:55:31 AM »
Some trucks sold in europe already have filters that are removeable and can be cleaned and reused.

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2022, 07:51:44 PM »
Some trucks sold in europe already have filters that are removeable and can be cleaned and reused.

Exactly, there is no reason ( other than lazyness) that the same thing cant be done for any passenger vehicle.
Id willingly retrofit ( or have retrofitted) such a system, if it was available.
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline tom60

• XRunner Member
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2022, 10:34:12 AM »
My understanding of the article is Toyota knew the DPF's were defective and cause unreasonable wear to the vehicles and additional cost to the owners.

All DPF's will eventually clog up and fail.  This will occur more rapidly if the vehicle only does short runs.   

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2022, 12:37:15 PM »
This will occur more rapidly if the vehicle only does short runs.
Why? Noting the new Dmax, it does active burns every 200 - 300kms use, of which only take about 3kms of travel to complete, and doesn't seem to matter the speed.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline tom60

• XRunner Member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2022, 07:03:16 PM »
Do a search on DPF clogging.  Almost every site will state short suburban driving is the principal cause of a blocked DPF

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2022, 08:47:47 PM »
As any who frequent this forum know, im very anal about this poorly engineered patch.
But recently i have been doing less long distance driving and more medium distance with some stop start driving thrown in.

One of my primary concerns was that even though most of my driving was at highway speed for hours at a time, my regen frequencies have been all over tge place.

But i think i have it figured now.
Long distance driving at 110 ( by the speedo) means the poor old engine is barely ticking over. Between 1400 and 1600 rpm.

But the last couple of months i have been doing somewhat shorter runs with tge engine revving comfortably up to 3500 from take off and through the gears.

The irregular regens have settled into a 500k regen cycle.
The revs must be blowing out some of the stuff that regens at 1400 rpm just isnt doing.
It still gets short regens on long runs, but methinks thats because of the low rev clogging things up.
It could, of course, be helped along with that stupid EGR system pumping exhaust gas into the engine when not under load.
But that should be cured once im out of warranty and i fix it.

Ill be doing a bit more "comfortable" revving more frequently from now on to clean it out a bit.

Still dont like the thing
Still think its a poorly engineered patch
But will have to live with it.
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build

Offline Luigi

• LS-U Member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2022, 05:26:09 AM »
So are auto vehicles more prone to DPD/F issues? Most are driven in 'D' which means it will change up to the higher gears at earliest opportunity.
2017 LS-U DMax spacecab. Manual, Ally tray back, Ally canopy, stock wheels, Ironman suspension and B/Bar. Safari snorkel and ProVent 200.

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2022, 08:10:29 AM »
So are auto vehicles more prone to DPD/F issues? Most are driven in 'D' which means it will change up to the higher gears at earliest opportunity.

Possibly, What rev range does a manual have at 110 kph?
I'm a little concerned that when I start towing my van long distances I plan to drive at around 100kph.
This means that the revs will rarely get above 1200 rpm  (idle range)
There is a possible offset though, the gears will change more frequently on hills, the exhaust will be hotter because of the extra effort required and it will probably hold lower gears longer on hills.
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build

Offline Luigi

• LS-U Member
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2022, 04:54:53 PM »
100Ks (speedo) is about 1600ish, so about [edit]1770 at 110.
2017 LS-U DMax spacecab. Manual, Ally tray back, Ally canopy, stock wheels, Ironman suspension and B/Bar. Safari snorkel and ProVent 200.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal