Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Electricity Demand Pricing  (Read 4048 times)

Offline ajm

Re: Electricity Demand Pricing
« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2022, 01:24:37 PM »
In simple terms: the industry is pushing every home owner to have a roof full of solar and battery storage.
Apparently, this is part of the problem. As I see it, it sure is part of the problem. The more people that do that  the less money that goes to the utility companies. That's a huge problem. FOR THEM.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #16 on: Jul 23, 2022, 02:11:44 PM »
Revision Two: the Government is pushing every home owner to have a roof full of solar and battery storage.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #17 on: Jul 23, 2022, 02:20:50 PM »
They don't build power stations any more, well not in WA anyway.

It is all about solar, wind, wave etc which is good for the environment.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline ajm

« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2022, 12:19:55 PM »
Great for the environment. Swap coal mines for rare earth mineral mining for use in the batteries. We're screwed everywhich way.

Offline ajm

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2022, 12:29:21 PM »
Revision Two: the Government is pushing every home owner to have a roof full of solar and battery storage.
Have been quoted $8500 for a 6.6kwh system including one 5.8kwh battery. Battery set up is modular so can add another battery when we have more cash.  What are people's thoughts on this price?

Looks like we will just have to such it and see with the new charges. Still waiting on our current retailer to provide our historic power usage so I can see what may happen.

Offline tom60

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #20 on: Jul 24, 2022, 08:34:11 PM »
Have been quoted $8500 for a 6.6kwh system including one 5.8kwh battery. Battery set up is modular so can add another battery when we have more cash.  What are people's thoughts on this price?

Looks like we will just have to such it and see with the new charges. Still waiting on our current retailer to provide our historic power usage so I can see what may happen.

We have 6.6kW of solar on our roof.  The money we receive as a rebate for power sent back to the grid covers the cost of what we take from the grid.  However it would take far more than 6.6kW of solar to recoup the cost of the supply charge.  Unless your State provides a battery rebate or subsidy, installing a battery currently isn't financially viable.

Offline tom60

• XRunner Member
« Reply #21 on: Jul 25, 2022, 10:29:38 AM »
ajm it appears that if you want to achieve the lwest possible monthly bill on the existing tarriff you need to ensure the electricity consumption during the demand period doesn't exceed that of the non demand period.  You need to consider what load can be moved from the peak period to the low period.  Appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, oven, kettle, etc.  Reserve the peak period for TV, computer, lights, etc.

I have an energy consumption and production monitor fitted to our house and can see the consumption spike when SHMBO puts on the kettle for a cuppa in the morning and evening.  The kettle uses 2000W!
From the calculation provided by energy Australia, ANY consumption in the 4pm to 9pm slot, M - F, is used in the calculation of the new demand charge. They use the half hour with the highest amount of electricity used as the base line for your monthly demand charge.

The only way to avoid it is to turn everything off and sit in the dark. That tells me it's as much about revenue as it is about shifting the actual demand profile. If it was just the excess demand that would be charged, there would be a threshold allowing for normal/average consumption. The demand price would then catch out those switching on the air con and all the lights.

Where did your energy monitor device come from?

You can't avoid the peak price, but you can reduce it to the same level as the non peak price by moving the load.   We have a Efergy Hub and two devices.  I have one measuring device for the solar panels and the second is for the consumer circuits.  That way I can measure and record solar production and power consumption.  This has enabled us to see when peak consumption occurs and move the timing of the device (applicance) to a period where we have good solar production.  The system is from Engage  https://engage.efergy.com/content/about-engage

Offline oldpiscator

• LS-T Member
« Reply #22 on: Jul 25, 2022, 10:31:10 AM »
Great for the environment. Swap coal mines for rare earth mineral mining for use in the batteries. We're screwed everywhich way.

Plus put the old panels into landfill after 25 years as it is uneconomical to recycle them and what about the batterys?

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #23 on: Jul 25, 2022, 11:25:04 AM »
and what about the batterys?
Shhhh... the public are not supposed to question how must energy and toxicity to the atmosphere making a battery causes; just that we get energy from the sun and store it in them and everything is all good.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline ajm

« Reply #24 on: Jul 25, 2022, 02:56:55 PM »
I liked the sand battery they made in Finland

Offline mewgaf

• LS-T Member
  • If I wake up, it’s a good day.
    • Prostate Trek Inc.
« Reply #25 on: Jul 27, 2022, 02:37:06 AM »
But you don't have to go for on demand rate you can go for a fixed rate
Have you had a PSA blood test lately.
This could save your life.
Prostate Cancer is no joke.
https://prostatetrek.org.au

Offline ajm

« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2022, 09:58:25 AM »
In qld, smart meters should be on a new Demand tariff. The old way of a flat rate is being phased out apparently.

Energex won't allow retail customers to remain on the old flat rate tariffs. I actually asked them to take us off the demand tariff and they split replied " No".

Offline tom60

• XRunner Member
« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2022, 10:14:20 AM »
I suspect everyone connected to the grid will eventually be forced onto a demand priced tarriff.  The generating companies need to even out the demand curve and the takeup of rooftop solar is compounding their problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal