Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Bit late on the news towards starlink but it is now deploying  (Read 9112 times)

Offline wj957

Re: Bit late on the news towards starlink but it is now deploying
« Reply #45 on: Aug 31, 2022, 03:14:53 PM »
So Anthony, for a grey haired Neanderthal with a slab of rock, hammer and chisel, what is the minimum entry requirement for me to come forth from the 18th century?

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #46 on: Aug 31, 2022, 03:34:09 PM »
So Anthony, for a grey haired Neanderthal with a slab of rock, hammer and chisel, what is the minimum entry requirement for me to come forth from the 18th century?

Not Anthony but I'll answer until he's back online:- The uncanny ability to make the Finance Minister believe you bought the new round shiny toy for her!  :cup:
The missus ate a little humble pie on why I purchased that for her

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #47 on: Aug 31, 2022, 04:44:56 PM »
The RV system (which is the same as the home system) costs about $1000 to buy the gear. Add another $350 if you buy the Starlink carry case for it. More if you buy third party cases.

The RV monthly access cost is about $175 for the months you activate it within.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #48 on: Nov 09, 2022, 08:21:05 AM »
There is a fair use policy that geeks are just having a whinge on:-
https://www.starlink.com/legal/documents/DOC-1134-82708-70?regionCode=AU

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #49 on: Nov 09, 2022, 10:01:17 AM »
IMHO, Starlink is too new for what it offers, and it could only run into issues as demand intensified.

I believe Starlink will need to move to a speed-based system. Unlimited use is acceptable and most internet is now unlimited, but speed based allows Starlink to plan their infrastructure and connections better.

A 25/10 plan for most people/couples is more than they will use. 50/25 your average household will never use (parents and kids), which is a good selling point and still abundant for households.

It would not surprise me if Starlink moves to a speed-based system soon.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #50 on: Nov 10, 2022, 05:24:19 AM »
IMHO, Starlink is too new for what it offers, and it could only run into issues as demand intensified.

I believe Starlink will need to move to a speed-based system. Unlimited use is acceptable and most internet is now unlimited, but speed based allows Starlink to plan their infrastructure and connections better.

A 25/10 plan for most people/couples is more than they will use. 50/25 your average household will never use (parents and kids), which is a good selling point and still abundant for households.

It would not surprise me if Starlink moves to a speed-based system soon.

Yeah but in real life a 25/10 is really bad, seen staff WFH that couldn't effectively participate in virtual meeting when kiddo decided to game or the routing went all the way to the cloud in Sydney
50/25 isn't too bad for just a couple of users.
But for a small remote site in the far north beginning with at least 5 staff and NFS, CIFS/SMB shares over the wan... buy a whole box of panadols.
Becoming too popular has drawbacks but I think they can get away with a tier model because the alternative would be that optus satellite with huge latency issues.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal