Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Bit late on the news towards starlink but it is now deploying  (Read 8840 times)

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
    • Wife & I 4WD
Re: Bit late on the news towards starlink but it is now deploying
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2022, 12:04:10 PM »
Giddie Up. Thanks for the update.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 01:57:23 PM »
Thanks for the news.
For a remote business out in the Kimberleys, it would be gold.
Do we know who is giving them a pipe for the ground stations probably doing the local routing?

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 02:46:41 PM »
For a remote business out in the Kimberleys, it would be gold.
Kimberley is not covered yet. I believe Nth Qld will be done before Nth WA. Population and all.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 11:40:40 AM »
Hmm, nice and informative but I do not trust this map...
It shows a fictitious country known as Tasmania!

See attached for future reference.

Offline Bookleaf

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 02:08:40 PM »
I read that Birdsville is right on the northern edge of the current coverage map.  There are people there at the moment who have enabled the mobile option and are trying it out for others with the Big Red Bash attendance in mind.
Apparently, the map is quite accurate.  Just north of town coverage drops off quickly but south of town, and near the Bash area, it seems to be OK.

Also, Starlink has just announced that by the end Q3 2022, coverage will be expanded in a triangle area from the current northern border up to Mackay and back to the north of Lake Eyre.
There is no expansion announced for the West Coast as of yet.  Just north of Geraldton is the current limit.
White MUX- LSM, Dig-Options GPS and reversing camera, Anderson plug & VSR. Bent front number plate and various scratches and knocks underneath from 4wd-ing.

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv, WAI4WD

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 02:51:06 PM »
Also, Starlink has just announced that by the end Q3 2022, coverage will be expanded in a triangle area from the current northern border up to Mackay and back to the north of Lake Eyre.
There is no expansion announced for the West Coast as of yet.  Just north of Geraldton is the current limit.
Bookleaf, you're a legend. Keep it coming and thanks for the updates.

Offline Bookleaf

• LS-U Member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 08:30:45 PM »
Starlink has just announced in the last 24hrs that, not only do they now sanction roaming, they actually have a system available to enable users to use just the "portability" function.
No different to what some have been doing off their own bat with a bit of fiddling, but now a purchasable, endorsed, with true roaming (new name - Portability) functionality.

Here is one of the links to the details.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/spacex-announces-starlink-for-rvs/?fbclid=IwAR1LwQu3tTnjV5ZwOIUodjL2j5V7MkuXN2Rv2C4ORrTcrF8DuSCtT69j-j8

Dollars are in $US I assume.
This is available in Australia - now
White MUX- LSM, Dig-Options GPS and reversing camera, Anderson plug & VSR. Bent front number plate and various scratches and knocks underneath from 4wd-ing.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2022, 01:18:45 PM »
STARLINK FOR RVS.
Best Effort Service for RV Users. Network resources are always deprioritized for Starlink RVs users compared to other Starlink Services, resulting in degraded service and slower speeds in congested areas and during peak hours. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of the Service are not guaranteed. Service degradation will occur most often in "Waitlist" areas designated on the Starlink Availability Map during peak usage hours. See the Starlink Specifications for expected performance of the Starlink for RV Services.

Limitation and Requirements or RV Users. Starlink for RV can only be used within the same continent as the registered shipping address. If you use Starlink for RV Services for more than two months in a country that is different than your shipping address, you will be required to move your registered address to your new location or purchase an additional Starlink to maintain Service.
Interesting... you can actually use starlink outside your country for less than 2 months.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #23 on: Jul 02, 2022, 05:11:39 AM »
The yanks now have Starlink for RVs
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/fcc-authorizes-spacex-to-use-starlink-internet-service-on-vehicles-in-motion

Hopefully not long for approval over here.

The following users thanked this post: lizard

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #24 on: Jul 02, 2022, 08:48:09 AM »
Hopefully not long for approval over here.
We already have it. You can buy it now. You have to buy the equipment, pay the first month, then you can place your account on hold after that, no billing, until you need to use it again. It costs an extra fee too.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #25 on: Jul 02, 2022, 02:08:57 PM »
Updated: you reminded me I had to buy this, just purchased the RV system.

Even better, if you get the kit within 7 days of it shipping, no delays, then you can pause the service if not using immediately, so you don't pay the first months $170 charge.

My wife cannot have crap internet, or none, when we travel, business necessity.

Starlink for RV allows you to access Services at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage. After placing a Starlink for RV Order, you will be charged a one-time hardware fee and a monthly subscription fee at the beginning of your billing cycle (14 days after shipping). The monthly subscription fee will be ongoing unless you pause your Service. When the Starlink for RV is enabled, you will be charged the fee on your next monthly invoice, in full monthly increments, which cannot be pro-rated. The Service can be paused and reactivated at any time. If you choose to pause Service in the first month, you must do so within 7 days of the Kit’s shipping date, or you will be charged for the entire first month of Service. Starlink for RV and billing charges will be ongoing until you disable the Service via your Starlink account. Supply of RV Services is subject to network and equipment availability.
https://www.starlink.com/account/legal/documents/DOC-1029-53044-64?regionCode=AU

Offline mewgaf

• LS-T Member
  • If I wake up, it’s a good day.
    • Prostate Trek Inc.
« Reply #26 on: Jul 04, 2022, 12:03:50 AM »
What is the down link and link speed like?

Thanks
Mark
Have you had a PSA blood test lately.
This could save your life.
Prostate Cancer is no joke.
https://prostatetrek.org.au

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #27 on: Jul 04, 2022, 02:04:56 PM »
Starlink has pretty decent speeds. Youtube has heaps of reviews. In crappy conditions 20-30Mbps up/down is normal, which is better than most get on NBN, and normal speeds are typically around 100+Mbps down and 50+Mbps up. Really good days, not many on a ground connection, people have surpassed 200+Mbps down and 150+Mbps up. Lot of factors involved.

The typical ping though is 100-200ms, being satellite and all.

Whilst you connect to a satellite, your signal may bounce via several sats to hit a ground relay. Depends on where you are in relation to ground stations, how many satellites you have to traverse, weather, visibility from the dish to satellite, etc etc.

People generally only have a good experience with it compared to trying to get mobile data. Sometimes mobile data may be better available than whipping out the starlink dish. If you were in a caravan park near 5G, and you have 5G, then starlink is useless.

If you're in the lower half of Australia, at time of writing, you have starlink coverage. If you travel places that has none or poor internet with any regularity, then starlink RV can probably save you a lot of headaches, but it will still cost you $170 per month you activate it, and they do not pro-rata or any such thing, so if you turn it on at the end of the month and are away into the next month, you're going to pay two months access. That is my understanding of the TOS.

Offline mewgaf

• LS-T Member
  • If I wake up, it’s a good day.
    • Prostate Trek Inc.
« Reply #28 on: Jul 05, 2022, 02:01:15 AM »
Thanks for that
A friend is looking at getting it for there caravan, I understand all the satellite stuff as she asked me to have a quick look. But knowing what people are getting in real life is better than guessing than I can explain limiting of factors, like rain and why line of sight of satellite is important.

Cheers
Mark
Have you had a PSA blood test lately.
This could save your life.
Prostate Cancer is no joke.
https://prostatetrek.org.au

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #29 on: Jul 05, 2022, 04:47:08 AM »
The typical ping though is 100-200ms, being satellite and all.

Can you do the usual IP connectivity tests?
I'm really interested in knowing what IP range they are using in Australia and who is providing the backhaul,
A traceroute or tracetcp could show something.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal