Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Bit late on the news towards starlink but it is now deploying  (Read 8839 times)

Offline yvesjv

Read on a geek forum that some guy had enough of his sh#t service with Vodavone/NBN and cancelled it when his starlink order arrived.
His reported download speed is now just over 130 mbps download.
I'd be very interested on the upload but nothing on that yet.

Others are reporting 80 to 100 when it is raining... goodbye NBN?
I think not yet if you are close to a city and have a fibre connection to the home combined with a reliable ISP.

But if you are remote, looking at you Arnhem land and similar.
This becomes a viable option.
Also saw this on their website "Our network is limited in the number of users we can accommodate in any one area, based on the design of our low Earth orbit satellite constellation".
First in, bess dressed!

Meanwhile, looks like I'll have to wait for awhile before I decide to relocate to Berry Springs or further out.
Unofficial coverage map: https://starlink.sx/

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
    • Wife & I 4WD
Re: Bit late on the news towards starlink but it is now deploying
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2022, 06:58:28 PM »
A better map for you: https://satellitemap.space/

Vic, Tas, ACT all full coverage. NSW nearly, the rest is mainly just the key city and population areas at present. Remote Australia (North SA, NT, North WA, West Qld) is still zero coverage.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2022, 07:45:45 AM »
Dont know what you lot are complaining about.
On a good day I can get a massive 20mbps
but most days I struggle with 10mbps

And on a bad day, if its running, I can get 3 to 5 mbps

Good old telstra
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline guyfromaus

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2022, 09:21:26 AM »
Telstra  in Adelaide  speeed test

26.9 megb/sec download  and 4.5meg  upload

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2022, 03:55:21 PM »
I always miss my internet speed when away from home.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2022, 07:37:33 AM »
I always miss my internet speed when away from home.

Yeah but nope you don't need starlink  :cup:

OTOH, have you tested with tracetcp?
I used it awhile back to prove to Netcomm their routers were sh#t and a bottleneck.
At your speed, you are either gaming or running a few servers at home... you do not want bottlenecks.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2022, 04:01:29 PM »
At your speed, you are either gaming or running a few servers at home... you do not want bottlenecks.
Me? Servers and lots of upload required for the wifes work which is all online MYOB nowadays. The last time I looked at bandwidth, I think we're using about 2.5TB a day.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2022, 01:12:28 PM »
I see Starlink have now enabled roaming for limited beta testing with US clients. Good to see that soon it will meet a good majorities needs by allowing portability without having to change address. The moment that's available here in Australia, is the same moment I buy one for all our travelling.

Offline Bookleaf

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2022, 03:18:27 PM »
There are a couple of people experimenting/being guinea pigs for/with roaming here in Australia I believe, but because of the limited coverage, it really is not a viable system yet for full-scale, free for all, roaming.  In fact, Starlink is being silent on roaming and does not yet acknowledge it is a possibility.  Even in the USA, it is not fully endorsed yet.  I do not think it will be sold into Australia until there is a much greater coverage Australia-wide.  The hopeful (but unrealistic) expectations of users would not be worth the help-desk hassle it would create if released now.  There are still too many technical difficulties to be ironed out.

The Starlink system is designed to deliver high-speed internet to those in remote locations, with fixed locations and where poor internet access -or even no access- was/is possible.
I certainly beats the pants off Skymuster who is losing customers at a great rate.  It is not intended for areas where there is already reasonable FTN, FNN, etc.  It is more $$ than Skymuster and land-based Internet.  The upside is the high speeds (up to 200Mb) and low latency that the Starlink system provides.

It really is still in "Betta" mode, despite some announcements to the contrary.  Reliable coverage 24/7 is not guaranteed.  In fact. over the last few weeks. there have been many disgruntled customers complaining of poor speeds/ drop-outs, and poor response from support (which has been very responsive beforehand).

The system relies on a large number (apparently some 40,000 eventually - yes 40,000) of low-orbit satellites (about 300-500km above the earth) moving across the sky worldwide and a network of ground stations connected (for us) to the Australian fiber back-bone.  The customers' dish finds a passing satellite and latches on to it, passing signals from the customer to the satellite which in turn then passes the signal to the closest ground station it can see, and hence then to the WWW.  As the satellite goes out of range of either the customer or a ground station, the customer dish searches/latches onto a different satellite and the customers' service continues uninterrupted (sort of, though most customers normally do not see any loss of service). 
Limitations to date are the number of satellites and the number of ground stations. It is a lack of ground stations currently impacting coverage here in Australia. 
Due to the capacity of each satellite to handle only a limited number of customer dishes, the total number of customers in any one area is restricted by Starlink for any given area until more satellites are in the sky. 
If no ground station exists, then there is no Starlink available at all, even though there may be satellites overhead.
Satellites with interconnecting laser beams to help spread the load are starting to be sent up and will help the coverage.

Roaming will come, but it is tantalizingly just out of reach at the moment.
White MUX- LSM, Dig-Options GPS and reversing camera, Anderson plug & VSR. Bent front number plate and various scratches and knocks underneath from 4wd-ing.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2022, 04:12:12 PM »
For me and the wife, travelling in Victoria, its perfect. $140 a month is well worth it to us when we start travelling more, and the entire of Victoria is already covered with base stations, so no issues in Victoria and near half of NSW is covered already, all of Tasmania is also covered.

Offline Bookleaf

• LS-U Member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2022, 12:06:45 AM »
For me and the wife, travelling in Victoria, its perfect. $140 a month is well worth it to us when we start travelling more, and the entire of Victoria is already covered with base stations, so no issues in Victoria and near half of NSW is covered already, all of Tasmania is also covered.

Just be aware that at the moment, roaming is not supported.
The problem is that Starlink, as sold, is intended for a single address, permanently fixed, solution, and sold on that express condition.  The purchaser has to specify the address it will be installed at and Starlink then consults their distribution/spread/load and approve the install/purchase or not.  Anyone can not just go and purchase one.  Starlink is the only supplier and they control tightly everything.

Starlink has divided the world up into approx 200km across hexagons - called cells.  They seem to allocate a certain number of users to each cell and when that cell is full then there are no more sales.  They do not advise the what and why-for for approval or "just hang there and wait on the waitlist till some variable time in the future". So if your 1km away neighbor has a Starlink service and has had it for 10 months but when you go to purchase, you could be rejected (no advice given that you have been denied and put on hold) because the cell is full.  Conversely, you could be in an adjoining cell that is not full and get approved almost immediately.  There is no way of knowing if approval will be granted until you put down a reasonable (Starlink defined), deposit.  The hardware is not shipped to you until they approve your connection and you pay the full amount for the hardware.

There are a number of conditions Starlink put on relocating your dish
The only way of moving around is to apply for a new connection in a new location (that you are going to), described by street address or geo-location.  You may or may not be granted a connection in the new location.  You could just move any rate as some have without advising Starlink.  Some have found they have got to their new address (in an adjacent cell) and have been OK.  Others have found it just does not work and Starlink is not helpful in enabling them at the new address.  It seems some dishes are geo-locked to the sold address. Once you leave/transfer/move to a new address, there is no guarantee you can get back to your old address as your "spot" has most likely been now allocated to a new customer and you are out in the cold.  A number of people have found themselves in this situation.

Then again, there seems to be different software loaded into some later supplied dishes that enable roaming (all the electronics are contained within the dish.  There is only a special power supply/combination router on the end of the single cable to the dish).  Some seem to have this roaming
function but still get no service if they move unannounced into a full cell.

The selling second-hand of your dish is also not allowed by Starlink.  It must be returned to them, so there is not a second-hand market, though some people seem to be finding workarounds for this.

Keep hanging in there.  By the time you are ready to roam, so may Starlink.

White MUX- LSM, Dig-Options GPS and reversing camera, Anderson plug & VSR. Bent front number plate and various scratches and knocks underneath from 4wd-ing.

The following users thanked this post: Jonno, yvesjv

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2022, 01:01:28 PM »
Awesome info Bookleaf, thank you  :cup:

Not sure if you have a finger on that pulse but I'd like to know what the plans are for remote locations?
We have staff visiting Yirrkala, Galiwinku, etc
Having a 50/50 would be enough for a couple of researchers visiting.

Offline Bookleaf

• LS-U Member
« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2022, 07:32:15 PM »
Nobody knows what Startlinks' plans are.
At the moment if you draw a rough line from north of Perth to about Marla to north of Brisbane and they currently provide service south of this line (except for the Nullarbor).  It has not reached Alice springs.  They seem to be concentrating on moving up the east coast.

If you google "Starlink coverage" you will find links to a map that shows the current coverage worldwide.  Zoom in to Australia.  Identify the ground station locations and which of those are live.  This will give you an indication of the current coverage or planned coverage in the future. 

Further to roaming capabilities - I read that in the USA there are more and more users finding the supplied dish has roaming capabilities.  Don't hold your breath for roaming to be available in Australia any time soon as it requires more than just the dish software, but seeing it is becoming more prevalent in the USA, then it may be here sooner than earlier anticipated.

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2022, 12:00:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.
Just had a look at the first link google came up with: https://starlink.sx/
The satellites are above the HT... but no ground gateways.

NZ is laughing at us again... first they have their NBN done right and now with Starlink:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1H1x8jZs8vfjy60TvKgpbYs_grargieVw&ll=-25.89955160266103%2C135.09510049719665&z=4

Offline Bookleaf

• LS-U Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 11:35:05 AM »
Just thought I would update this thread with the latest info I have come across.

Starlink is now approved for roaming.
Some conditions
- It costs an additional $35Au/month to enable roaming, over and above the normal monthly fee.
- You can turn on and off roaming at your leisure
- you will be charged for a full month  (billing cycle) for any part of any month (billing cycle) that roaming was enabled
- Service is on a "best-effort" basis.  If you move into an area where there is a waitlist for new users, then your service will/may be degraded, disabled for short periods, or maybe throttled.
- If you remain stationary (remain in the same cell - even though you may move around?) for more than 2 months (billing cycles), you may be asked/forced to change your home address to your current location. This will disconnect you from your true home location which may cause problems if/when you return to your true home location.
- Use while on the move is not allowed.
- Is only available in the country of original registration (no international roaming)
- Is only available in enabled areas ( see Starlink coverage map)

The following users thanked this post: Jonno, yvesjv, WAI4WD

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal