Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: The New Year Can't Come Fast Enough  (Read 2371 times)

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
    • Wife & I 4WD
The New Year Can't Come Fast Enough
« on: Dec 06, 2021, 08:41:41 PM »
On 01 Jan 22, the missus lets the brake off on the build. Technically, I'm not supposed to have done anything to it yet, and she is watching. She pulled me up on it the other day, that all these bits and pieces I've done already should not have been done yet. Cough, $5.5k already of the $60k approx modification cost. I was truly busted.

Me: But sweetheart, I really needed maxtrax and the shovel for safety to get out of the crap when by myself.
Wife: Ah ha... or you could just do tracks that have no risk of being bogged until after Christmas.
Me: Bugger.

She made me wrap my snorkel, just to make sure I don't sneak that on between now and Christmas. Crafty bugger she is.

Usually, I'm whinging and whining how fast the months pass... when I don't want them to. Now, I want that, and its dragging on painfully slow.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline yvesjv

Re: The New Year Can't Come Fast Enough
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2021, 06:15:10 AM »
That old joke makes me think of your situation:
On my wedding day, my mom told my bride, “No refunds, no exchanges on sale items.”
—Glen Zeider

Or maybe this one nowadays:
Marriage Counselor:- So, what brings you here today?
Wife:- He takes everything literally.  I can’t stand it.
Husband:- My truck.

This one will get you into the dog house, guaranteed:
Marriage is a three-ring circus: engagement ring, wedding ring, and suffering.

The following users thanked this post: WAI4WD

Offline 257Bob

• XRunner Member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2021, 08:01:09 AM »
On 01 Jan 22, the missus lets the brake off on the build. Technically, I'm not supposed to have done anything to it yet, and she is watching. She pulled me up on it the other day, that all these bits and pieces I've done already should not have been done yet. Cough, $5.5k already of the $60k approx modification cost. I was truly busted.

Me: But sweetheart, I really needed maxtrax and the shovel for safety to get out of the crap when by myself.
Wife: Ah ha... or you could just do tracks that have no risk of being bogged until after Christmas.
Me: Bugger.

She made me wrap my snorkel, just to make sure I don't sneak that on between now and Christmas. Crafty bugger she is.

Usually, I'm whinging and whining how fast the months pass... when I don't want them to. Now, I want that, and its dragging on painfully slow.

Is that a typo?  $60 000 on mods for your vehicle?
Baldrick, your breath comes straight from Satan's bottom.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2021, 08:13:56 AM »
No typo. $60k is up there, but by no means close to what some are spending. Hell, if I was putting a new canopy on, that would be $20k straight up.

Anything 4WD is not cheap. Looking at my spreadsheet, I have so far snuck in - catch can & preline filter, two pair maxtrax, diff breather kit, tailgate assist, tailgate lock, redarc 25a charger in the drawer for next year, tailgate seal, ultimate9 gps in the draw for next year install, bonnet struts, first aid kit, 400w inverter, auto window / mirror module, garmin gps for ipad, ram mount for ipad, offroad maps, tyre repair kit, deflator / gauge - Total $5.5k

Dobinsons GVM upgrade with remote res (due next year engineering approval) is around $4.5k
Rims and muddies $3.5k
Offroad Animal bullbar, rear bar, sliders - $7k
Longrange tank - $1.2k
Winch - $1k

Drum to disc upgrade $3k

The list goes on and on mate. I try and buy when something is on special, store it until I need it, to continually reduce the cost.

Most of this is installed by me, keeping installation costs down.

Cooling and power alone (trans cooler, intercooler and larger exhaust for egt with uni-x and dyno) $6k

I haven't even listed the tub electrical, fridge, lithium, etc etc etc.

If I can lower my mod cost by $5 - $10k by buying on special, show specials, etc, I will be. Some costs I can't avoid though.

Everything 4WD has a premium attached to it right now. Global parts shortages are affecting prices.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2021, 02:40:52 PM »
I do love that wife of mine. She has business in Traralgon on Friday, so says "hey, we can stay out there Thursdays night, you drop me off Friday and can then go wheeling tracks for the day, pick me up at the end of the day and back to Melbourne." Giddie Up, hell YES.

Now I get to try out the new campboss deflators that arrived in the mail today, that I technically should not have ordered until next year.  :dontknow: They're small enough for me to hide.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2021, 02:46:46 PM »
I do love that wife of mine.

Looking at the costs of what she's letting you get away with...
Flowers, good bottle of liquor (if she drinks) and something else she likes, priceless.

Offline ajm

« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2021, 09:48:17 PM »
Sorry  but $60k of mods is an extravagance most people can't afford. Personally, I struggle to comprehend how you can justify the national average wage (approx) on toys. We camp with blokes who drive 200 series half cuts. One of these fellas had last year ordered his new one and was trying to hide the balance that exceeded $200k from his wife. Reality check folks. These are cars. They get you from a to b. Sure, with a 4wd, we can go via every other letter of the alphabet en route, but still only a car. 

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2021, 06:04:07 AM »
Hi ajm,

I get that and I guess I'm probably not the only one that does.
But also if a guy/gal has been working hard against all odds from an early (or old) age and finally gets to enjoy the fruits, why not.

Getting old myself and faster than I like and still not seeing the $$$ coming in as much as I'd like.
If I'd win the lotto I'd spend on the loved ones first and then splurge on an awesome toy for myself, like a brand new DMax all beefed up for the trips to WA and the Cape ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline animalpest

• LS-M Member
  • Car Type: MUX
  • Bush-walking is for people who don't own a MU-X
    • Animal Pest Management Services
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2021, 02:04:32 PM »
We often see 4wd vehicles with every conceivable modifications and extras on them when we are way out yonder in the bush.

Other than decent roo bar, spotties and snorkel, all my work vehicles that go bush are standard. Half have winches.

First aid kit, fire extinguisher, max traks, snatch strap ( with soft shackles), shovel and you are good to go.

My Mux has all the above plus winch extension and a suspension lift.

I once was having a day off at Karijini NP. I was in my old 2.8 Rodeo that I called Elvis as it had more hits than him. Guy in a Cruiser from Sydney pulled up next to me. He must have walked into a 4wd shot and said give me everything that's fits.

So he looks at my beaten up vehicle and says "My vehicle can go further than yours". My reply was that mine has been more places. He then asked "What tracks have you been on" and my comeback was a laugh and I said "None of the tracks I take have names".

You can spend a lot of money on a vehicle and not go anywhere that any of it is actually needed.
2017 Mux, 6 x D-Max's 2007/2013/2014, 1957 Willys Jeep

The following users thanked this post: sdouglas

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2021, 07:18:59 PM »
I get that not everyone spends a lot on their vehicle... but some do. Each to their own IMHO.

You can spend a lot of money on a vehicle and not go anywhere that any of it is actually needed.
Mine goes from the garage, to the bush. Its sole purpose is our offroader / tourer. It is not a daily driver. It does need to pull a 1.8t patriot X3 or similar around the vic high country and other offroad locations around Oz, so it needs very specific things in order to accomplish that task.

Other than decent roo bar, spotties and snorkel, all my work vehicles that go bush are standard. Half have winches. First aid kit, fire extinguisher, max traks, snatch strap ( with soft shackles), shovel and you are good to go.

There's $20k and you haven't even added a towbar yet. Stuff is not cheap these days.

Offline ajm

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2021, 07:24:30 PM »
Hi ajm,

I get that and I guess I'm probably not the only one that does.
But also if a guy/gal has been working hard against all odds from an early (or old) age and finally gets to enjoy the fruits, why not.

Getting old myself and faster than I like and still not seeing the $$$ coming in as much as I'd like.
If I'd win the lotto I'd spend on the loved ones first and then splurge on an awesome toy for myself, like a brand new DMax all beefed up for the trips to WA and the Cape ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yvesjv, I don't think, even with a decent lotto win, that I could spend that much money on a vehicle without being physically ill. That said, I'm not judging anyone. You earn it  you spend it. While, I don't think waived was rubbing our noses in it, it seems excessive when others are doing it tough. I get the same feeling when I see the this one particular  200 series landcruiser with all the fruit up our way with the number plate "POVLIVN".

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv, jack-fc

Offline ajm

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2021, 07:28:20 PM »
I get that not everyone spends a lot on their vehicle... but some do. Each to their own IMHO.

Mine goes from the garage, to the bush. Its sole purpose is our offroader / tourer. It is not a daily driver. It does need to pull a 1.8t patriot X3 or similar around the vic high country and other offroad locations around Oz, so it needs very specific things in order to accomplish that task.

Other than decent roo bar, spotties and snorkel, all my work vehicles that go bush are standard. Half have winches. First aid kit, fire extinguisher, max traks, snatch strap ( with soft shackles), shovel and you are good to go.

There's $20k and you haven't even added a towbar yet. Stuff is not cheap these days.
Have to agree on the costings in your last sentence. We've just had the front end rebuilt on our mux after a car accident. They were at 10k before adding the bullbar and spotties. Now, with the new engine also  its going to be way higher. If we ever get it back, that is. Been almost 4 months now....

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2021, 07:53:18 PM »
Yvesjv, I don't think, even with a decent lotto win, that I could spend that much money on a vehicle without being physically ill. That said, I'm not judging anyone. You earn it  you spend it.

Ajm,
I like your reply.
You come through Darwin one day and I'll buy you a drink or two.
If your Fun Minister allows  ;)

Same goes for WAI4WD.
Life is short, if you can do it while you can... why not  :toothy9:

Offline ajm

« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2021, 11:11:51 PM »
A cold beer in Darwin sounds like just the ticket. There is such up there to see so a visit one day is on our wish list. One day...

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal