General Boards > Off Topic

how to improve mobile phone signal strength

<< < (3/4) > >>

jack-fc:

Some feedback for anyone interested.... I purchased a Telstra Tough Max 3 phone, an RFI CDQ7195 antenna and patch lead to link phone to antenna. Ph cost $499, antenna $200, patch lead $15.
We recently went camping on the Murray again (can't get out of Danistan). On a previous trip camped at a spot we call "Big Tree", my old phone (an old Sony Xperia Z something) had no reception at all. The LotO's phone (a much newer $650 Oppo) could sometimes get texts in and out; but almost never was a call possible.
Exact same camping spot, 2 months later, her phone performed as per last time. My new phone, connected to antenna, could make/receive calls reliably AND could be reliably used as a hotspot for tablet/laptop to download daily papers and general internet use (admittedly it was sometimes a bit slow, but always worked). 'Well worth the cost of the antenna/patch lead' was the judgement by the LotO! Now she will have to nag me about something else while we are on the road (like 'why wont my phone charge quicker in the ute?' - I'm now on to that too!)
Interesting to note that a mate who used a similar antenna connected to a cradle for his phone (no direct wire link) found very little improvement. The trick seems to be having a phone with an external antenna port, combined with a very good antenna...
Hope this info may help some of you
Cheers, Jack

yvesjv:

--- Quote from: jack-fc on Nov 10, 2021, 11:59:40 AM ---'why wont my phone charge quicker in the ute?' - I'm now on to that too!

--- End quote ---

Thanks Jack, good news :occasion14:
I put the phones in aeroplane mode and disable wireless when remote (or flying), if not it keeps seeking for a tower and empties the battery quicker.

jack-fc:

That's a good idea. We are a bit more brutal when there is no signal - just turn it off!
Problem with her phone not charging quick enough is that currently the only USB port left available to her inside the ute and while moving is a miserable 1.1 Amp jobbie. Seems 'someone else' has taken over all the 2 and 3 Amp outlets for their unimportant things like tablet (mapping), HUD speedo, etc...

Cheers, Jack

tom60:
My tablet battery (converted to outback gps) went flat despite being connected to the dash usb port.  I've since discovered that many vehicle usb ports have a very low power output (500mA) which is too low to recharge (or maintain the charge) whilst the tablet whilst it is in use.

I plan to fit a 12V to usb converter rated at 3A in an effort to rectify the issue.

WAI4WD:

--- Quote from: tom60 on Nov 11, 2021, 11:03:39 AM ---I plan to fit a 12V to usb converter rated at 3A in an effort to rectify the issue.

--- End quote ---
Just get a dual USB socket: https://jaydeeautocables.com.au/collections/usb-accessories/products/modular-accessory-sockets?variant=32130833842229

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version