Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Gazebos - is there a perfect one out there?  (Read 7487 times)

Offline BrisVegas

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Gazebos - is there a perfect one out there?
« on: May 07, 2017, 08:52:17 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good gazebo?  I'm reading reviews at the moment and the Oztrail Mega Deluxe looks pretty good.  I think the 4.5m x 3.m size would be handy. 

A little history...

We recently downsized our camping setup from owning a camper trailer AND a big 24' square ultrarig tarp with alloy poles, spreaders, quality ropes etc.  We just found that for the sort of touring we do, neither setup worked for us.  We would rarely spend more than a night in one spot and just couldn't be bothered setting up either the tarp or the camper annexe etc..  Case in point, this coming June-July we're heading to Birdsville for the Big Red Bash where we will stay put for 5 nights, but the other 10 nights of the trip will be overnighters.

We have a pretty good canvas touring tent (Oztrail tourer twin) and an awning on the Mu-X.  These work ok in good weather, but it doesn't give us much shelter if it's really hot or raining.   I'm looking at adding a couple of awning extensions to make it a bit more useful.  Trouble with the awning is that it has to be rolled up when we use the vehicle to go somewhere. 

I need something to leave setup at base camp for the camp table, chairs, etc. but I don't want to have to stuff about for half an hour putting it up.  If we have an overnight stop and it's raining, it would be good to put up the gazebo first then erect the tent under it.

2015 MU-X LS-U | TJM Bullbar & steps | TJM Torq winch | XGS 4000 | MickeyT ATZ P3 | ECUSHOP UltraBoost | Redarc SBI | TJM dual batt | XRay 220 HID | HR Towbar | Redarc TowPro | Airtec snorkel | 8" GPS | ARB 112  tank | MSA seatcovers | Sandgrabbas | Rhino Pioneer | 42" LED bar | Supapeg awnin

Offline Chancho12

• SX Member
Re: Gazebos - is there a perfect one out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:24:18 PM »
had my eye on one of the coleman event 14's, seems like there's one at most camp sites, they get good reviews and they look good but i have not taken the plunge yet.

https://www.snowys.com.au/event-14-sun-shelter-sunwall?gclid=Cj0KEQjwi7vIBRDpo9W8y7Ct6ZcBEiQA1CwV2FKml4FaYhvWJQ-n6-jk_H3MBgz7HGTsbJksANFNPswaAhUP8P8HAQ#reviews

Offline konazz

• LS-U Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:44:27 PM »
We've got the Oztrail Deluxe 3x3. We've had it for years and super handy and overall compact and okish for 2 people to put up and down (easier with 4). All our friends have the same one, and we all have 1 x gutter and 2 x walls, so we can easily connect them to give 36m2 of dry space if needed, the gutters keeping the rain mostly out (the centre sometimes has rain running down the centre of the 4 gazebos.

we've used it on the beach, camping, and even when I've been working on the car on the driveway. The canopy has finally died (the weather recently + i didn't peg it out enough so water pooled and damaged the canopy. Great thing is, there's heaps of replacements out there.
White LS-U: OEM Nudge Bar, 23" Lightbar, GME TX3350, Tradesman Rack, 16" DMAX Rims A/T tyres, 1" TJM lift kit, OEM towbar, Canvas seat covers, Drifta drawers and fridge slide, Engel Eclipse, Redarc BC-DC 1220, Optima D34, Baintech monitor

Offline knoath

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 06:53:10 AM »
We have a Boab brand 3x3m Gazebo, 'ultra heavy duty'. The frame is quite solid and I also bought a double wall for it.
Gives good shelter from sun and rain, easy to set up by two people.
We leave the 'roof' on when we pack it up, no damage and all still goes back in its bag.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline knoath

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:56:15 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline lurkr

• LS-U Member
  • MY2015 MUX LS-T
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
We've got the event 14.
By myself, it takes roughly 20-25 minutes to assemble the poles and click the frame together - it'd be much faster with 2, but while I'm doing that, wifey is getting beds etc setup in the tent.
Throwing the cover over is a 2-person job really, to make it easy. . . . just because of the way any breeze will blow it about before it's clipped down. .... and I'd say it's another 5 minute to get that on and velcro'd down... so roughly a 30 minute setup... could do it in 15-20 minutes max with 2 people, start to finish without breaking a sweat.

Compared to when I messed with a tarp, it's less than half the time, and a lot easier, for a very sturdy and relatively large covered area.

Offline BrisVegas

• LS-T Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 09:00:26 PM »
Thanks guys.  I didn't realize the cover was meant to be removed on these things!  That would make them a bit more time consuming to erect.

My mate has that Boab one in a 6x3 and he rates it.  We all sat under it the other week when we went camping together and it looked really well made.  It's what convinced me that I need one actually.
2015 MU-X LS-U | TJM Bullbar & steps | TJM Torq winch | XGS 4000 | MickeyT ATZ P3 | ECUSHOP UltraBoost | Redarc SBI | TJM dual batt | XRay 220 HID | HR Towbar | Redarc TowPro | Airtec snorkel | 8" GPS | ARB 112  tank | MSA seatcovers | Sandgrabbas | Rhino Pioneer | 42" LED bar | Supapeg awnin

Offline oddsmux

• LS-M Member
Gazebos - is there a perfect one out there?
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 10:55:46 PM »
We went for the oztrail corporate deluxe. Stronger than the standard deluxe. Happy with it and much quicker to setup than the event 14. Downside is that it is quite a big package at 164L x 32W x 27H cm when packed.

https://www.snowys.com.au/deluxe-corporate-gazebo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JackRussel

« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:30:23 PM »
We went for the oztrail corporate deluxe. Stronger than the standard deluxe. Happy with it and much quicker to setup than the event 14. Downside is that it is quite a big package at 164L x 32W x 27H cm when packed.

https://www.snowys.com.au/deluxe-corporate-gazebo-bp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, good stuff! I bought one for me too, I like it all!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal