Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Chainsaws.  (Read 4492 times)

Offline VALKIE

Chainsaws.
« on: Aug 29, 2021, 05:06:53 PM »
This may be off topic and even in the wrong area.

Im looking at a chainsaw for home and for when i go camping/ 4 wheel driving.

Further information
I dont do any serious 4x4 driving and probably never will.
My camping is reasonably basic, so any firewood will be smallish stuff
My property is also small with only a few light trees.
Never used a chainsaw in my life, but as a competent tradesman with virtually every type and size power tool, i am reasonably comfortable with using one.

Up until recently my reciprocating saw has sufficed, but a larger tree the other day (10 inches across) put tge reciprocating saw through hell and flattened the batteries twice.

Im not keen on petrol chainsaws, as i will be rarely using it and when i carry it it will be in the back of tge MUX.

Been looking at makita, ryobi, ozito and dewalt battery chainsaws.
My son lives on a farm and is no help
He want me to buy a $3000.00 chainsaw because " i might need it".

Anyone have a battery powered chainsaw?
Are they any good?
Suggestions please
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline JackDriver

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Re: Chainsaws.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2021, 05:22:11 PM »
Mate, I  got a cheapie Yard Force 40V battery 12" chainsaw from Mitre 10 when they were on special for a measly $250.

My chainsaw history is very similar to yours but I just love this little toy. It's obviously not for the big timber but for campfires I reckon it'd hard to beat. Easily cuts dry hardwood upto 6 inches or so diameter which is all I want for a campfire. The battery lasts long enough to cut a least 4 days worth of campfire wood and the battery charges up in 2 to 3 hours via its 240VAC charger which is plugged into my inverter as I drive to the next camp. :toothy9:

Gets my vote. :cup:
2015 Isuzu Dmax SX Spacecab auto trayback
2000 Hoden Jackaroo SE T/D

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2021, 07:04:22 PM »
The yardforce are about $350 at the moment.

Ive just looked at some reviews of the dewalt.
Might be what im looking at
And bonus is that i already have a few dewalt tools, same battery.

$300.00  for battery, charger and chainsaw.
A possible.

But ill see what reviews yardforce get.
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline boages

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2021, 03:59:40 AM »
I have a hikoki (hitachi) chainsaw as I have all the batteries in the world for it being a chippie.

It works fine for small items / 2 trees of decent size that were dead and it doesn't vibrate like a recipro saw.

It also feels like it's pretty safe with the kick back not being overly strong being a small battery chainsaw. If you have battery kits for the dewalt I'd go with that.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2021, 04:51:23 AM »
Also lookup stihl chainsaws.

Offline OldMucks

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2021, 06:28:25 AM »
I've got a Stihl mas120c and it's a great piece of gear. When you buy one go for something with about 40v anything with lower volts will only cut for about 5 min.

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2021, 08:43:50 AM »
My mum has a little Ryobi chainsaw and to be honest its quite a good little thing.

But for $250 my little Stihl MS180 is a great little chainsaw. I know its not battery powered but it flies. I upgraded the bar and chain to a larger size once the OEM gear was worn out and now it does everything I ever need to do.
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2021, 08:54:32 AM »
Thanks guys, I have been doing a fair bit of research and the Dewalt is looking good.

Danny G.
I have heard that the chain is an important factor, getting a good chain can improve even a basic chainsaw.
The difference is chalk and cheese.

Oldmucks
I have been looking at total cuts and time.
Its always going to be a bit of a compromise as petrol can just be refilled, but batteries run down.
But one review showed a guy chopping up an entire 30ft tree and branches into firewood, with a small Dewalt 12 inch chainsaw.
The thickest sections were only 10-12 inches, but he stated that it only took two recharges to do the whole thing.

That is impressive to me.

Yvesjv
My son warns me off Stihl, he has a few chainsaws and he hates them.
He said the two Stihl both died and were rubbish.
He is a husqvarna fan.
And he pushes his chainsaws really, really hard
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build

Offline jack-fc

• LS-U Member
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2021, 09:05:32 AM »

I have a 36v Makita, very happy with it, excellent for camping, 2 x 18v 5ah batteries good for 4 to 5 days camp-fire wood.Handles up to 200mm diameter.
Biggest factor in my choice was already having batts and charger for other tools...
Cheers, Jack
Old Fart still pushing the envelope... but it remains stationery

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2021, 10:21:13 AM »
Exact same position as you, and my decision was: I'm staying with my recip saw with a 12" blade which does 99% of everything I need to cut. I bought an AX for anything larger. Simple, cheap, effective, easy to sharpen vs a chainsaw for those 1% moments. An AX additionally will go through any thickness, so then I don't come across a time where a tiny chainsaw is no longer good enough for those 0.001% of times.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2021, 12:04:01 PM »
Exact same position as you, and my decision was: I'm staying with my recip saw with a 12" blade which does 99% of everything I need to cut. I bought an AX for anything larger. Simple, cheap, effective, easy to sharpen vs a chainsaw for those 1% moments. An AX additionally will go through any thickness, so then I don't come across a time where a tiny chainsaw is no longer good enough for those 0.001% of times.

I had a good axe, but the bloody thing broke chopping down the tree i had.
Mind, the axe was over 20 years old.
I was into the second cut when the handle just cracked and the head nearly came off.

It was hard work too.
My bursitis in my shoulder was sore for days after just those few cuts.
The reciprocating saw was doing the job, but tge vibrations sent my hand numb.

I figure a small chainsaw might better fit this old body better than axes and hand saws, definitely better than the reciprocating saw, thats for sure.
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build

Offline xcvator

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »
I've got an Ego with 2 batteries (54volt)  Not cheap,but bloody good saw.With a sharp blade and a fully charged battery I have cut up half a dozen very old red gum fence posts with ease . For camping I can fill the back of the mux very quickly generally on 1 battery, battery recharges from the inverter in about a 20 minute drive. I call it my national park saw since you can't hear it from 20 or 30 meters away. Just remember to carry bar oil and a sharpening file .
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2021, 12:58:00 PM »
Over the past 2-3 years I have been collecting a variety of cordless tools. I started with -
Ozito PXC 18V Drill Driver Kit at $99.00
Ozito PXC 18V Blower Kit at $99.00
Ozito PXC 18V Reciprocating Saw - Skin Only at $49.98
Ozito PXC 18V Hedge Trimmer - Skin Only at $89.00
I find the 2 batteries is ample for everything I need to do.

I was so impressed with the drill so did not hesitate going with the Ozito.

I haven't got a chainsaw and doubt i will get one but it is the Ozito PXC 250mm 18V Chainsaw Kit at $199.00 which Includes 18V 4.0Ah Battery and the 18V Fast Charger so this would give me three batteries
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline jazzeddie1234

« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2021, 09:42:17 PM »
I agree the ozito 250mm chainsaw is awesome - especially with a huge warranty.  It is compact enough to fit behind the driver seat so I can pick up firewood on the way to a camp site.  It could cut a  10" limb but it will take a while as it trips the battery with moderate cutting pressure so you have to take it easy.  I keep the chain very sharp with a stihl file guide
2015 Dmax and 19'caravan. Spend 80% of the year on the road to somewhere

Offline Gav62

• LS-M Member
  • MY18 LSM Crew Cab
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2021, 03:53:39 AM »
I just bought a MS170 stihl goes great. $250. no battery to go flat..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal