Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Optus Mobile Coverage Oz wide  (Read 3609 times)

Offline wj957

Re: Optus Mobile Coverage Oz wide
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2021, 08:55:15 PM »
Back in 2018 I did a trip through the desert regions in the northern part of South Australia.
(Lyndhurst up the Odnadatta track and then later back down to Mt Dare etc)
In that part of Australia (2018) Optus was the only service provider with any decent coverage.

Many tourists bought an Optus package when they discovered this on location. The kicker was, even Optus signal was so weak you couldn't log on and complete the set up without dropping out.

So you needed to set it all up before you left civilisation, but sketchy calls/texts were better than zero Telstra coverage. (unless you were trying to escape) :evil6:

Offline Seshman

• LS-M Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2021, 09:08:56 AM »
It might actually have something to do with the Optus communication contracts with the ADF. A lot of those out in the middle of no-where places are kind of close to DoD Range Exercise Areas.
Optus have been dealing with both the ADF and Defenses primary contracting companies for their satellite and telemetry equipment for quite a few years.

Personally I buy once and cry monthly for the more dominant Telstra coverage. I've been meaning to upgrade from an Iphone 6, if that satellite connection with the 13 is a thing then pre-orders will likely go through the roof and they can have my money! Means I won't need to buy/hire a sat phone later down the track.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »
Was in Tennant Creek a couple days ago for work purposes and stayed there for the night. I use  an optus 4G dongle for data.
The phone is with Telstra and I turn it into a hotspot when needed.

I carry both for just in case but in between the towns, there is nothing...
A satellite connection would be handy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal