Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Cash grab  (Read 3158 times)

Offline VALKIE

Cash grab
« on: Aug 24, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »
Just recieved my rego renewal today.

My wife got hers a couple of weeks ago.

The MUX is more than twice the rego cost of her little car, what a ripoff.

Do I get twice the road to use?
Do I get twice the rights on the road?
Do I get twice the parking available?
Do they maintain the bush tracks I drive on?

Noooooo, its just our wonderful grubberment grabbing as much cash as they can for doing what they do so well.....nothing.
What do I get for paying twice the rego of a small car?

I live on the Central Coast.
Our roads are some of the worst maintained roads in the state.
I need a 4x4 to even navigate the goat tracks they laughingly call roads.

The "highway" from Wyong to Newcastle
Has more patches than a patchwork quilt convention.
Is bumpier than a honeymoon hotel bed.
Has more holes than a politicians electoral campaign.

And yet I pay double what a small car pays.

But I guess I shouldn't feel too bad.
I know what a truck has to pay in registration........Now that's the biggest ripoff there is.
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline wj957

Re: Cash grab
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2021, 12:14:11 PM »
I hear you Valkie, loud & clear.
Up here in the Banana Republic, a six cylinder with CTP Ins is $950.
But if it just happens to be a ute (for commercial use) you can add $100 to that.
Now my specific use for the ute puts it in a category that is heavily regulated by our Banana Transport Dept.
Add another $400.
But said heavily regulated industry, is normally affiliated with heavy transport type vehicles.
So now, to legally drive my little 6cyl ute I need an "Industry Authority" (blue driver's license) that costs me another $100 p.a. (But I can't drive a truck).
And then my business has to be registered annually with the BTD (not ASIC) ................... for $ (?)
BTD required a one-off business premises registration for $400.
BTD now requires an annual inspection of my ute for $86.
BTD requires I get an annual independent inspection of a single piece of equipment, test & certification costs $100. Replacement & certification only costs $50. Go figure.

Offline Aaron S

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2021, 01:29:54 PM »
Even though we can’t go for a drive down here in Sictoria, our rego (in country Vic) is $670 a year.
That’s registration fee and TAC insurance.
Both our ‘09 Hyundai and ‘21 D Max. Always been the same cost regardless of vehicle type.

We have a jump in costs for boat rego, our 3.9 mtr is about $40 a year, the 4.2 is $85. I think the 4 mtr mark is the increase in costs.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2021, 01:56:08 PM »
What do I get for paying twice the rego of a small car?

Here in the never never, I think it ramps up in $$$ because of the cc size.
The bigger the engine, the more they clob us.

But during and after the wet season, the NtRoads crews must travel thousands of kilometers identifying/marking road hazards followed up by fixing them.
I like what they do for us and hope they get paid well for this huge task.

The following users thanked this post: Kenny

Offline ranmar850

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2021, 05:45:22 PM »
Heavier the vehicle, the more damage they do to the roads per kilometre travelled, well known civil engineering fact. Which is why heavy transport pays such high fees. That, and the fact that they are using a state resource to generate income. Same holds for the banana-bending complainant above, you are using a state resource to generate income if your vehicle is classed as commercial. The extra wear is  by a magnitude in multiples of tens, IIRC. Have seen the numbers, can't accurately recall now, easy enough to look it up. And your Mux will wear it more than your wife's little Hyundai. Particularly as your GVM/GCM is around double the little car.
I'm sure I've made myself unpopular here in stating that, but i've always enjoyed playing devils' advocate. :-)

The following users thanked this post: sdouglas, rconnelly

Offline wj957

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2021, 07:19:37 PM »
Understood ranmar, but my Falcon ute at 2840 GVM does no more damage to the road than any other family sized sedan/4WD etc.

Yes I do 50,000km p.a. but that just means I pay more fuel excise than the average Joe as well.

Banks are the same as gummint, if you make money, your fees go up.

And don't start me on Merchant fees for my mobile eftpos device!   :BangHead:

Offline Waynedeane

• SX Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2021, 10:35:11 PM »
I don't know about that.
Although 4wds are bigger and heavier than small cars they also have bigger, wider tyres which will have a bigger footprint.   I'd be curious to know what the actual measured weight is per square cm or inch for different vehicles.    Wouldn't surprise me if most 4wds have less weight per square cm or inch as the weight is spread over a larger area.

Understood ranmar, but my Falcon ute at 2840 GVM does no more damage to the road than any other family sized sedan/4WD etc.

Yes I do 50,000km p.a. but that just means I pay more fuel excise than the average Joe as well.

Banks are the same as gummint, if you make money, your fees go up.

And don't start me on Merchant fees for my mobile eftpos device!   :BangHead:

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2021, 09:34:17 AM »
I can understand the logic of bigger vehicles doing more damage.

But......if the roads were made properly (for purpose) then this damage would be minimal.
I have been all over the world and driven on roads in many countries.
Roads that are subjected to far harsher conditions than those in Australia.

Ice freezing the roads heat so hot it melts the roads.
Overloaded trucks one after another are commonplace.

But the roads aremade better and stand up to the conditions better than the goat tracks we have here.

In most countries the blacktop is several inches thick and the concrete thick too
But in Australia, we paint out roads with pathetically thin blacktop which breaks down at the first rain.

There is a stretch of road from Wyong to Gosford which was recently remade  (nearly 10 years of roadworks and the horrors involved)
Before it was opened the blacktop was breaking up.
Almost a week after it was opened it fell apart damaging several cars in the process.
All the roads in the suburbs around the coast are dirt with a microscopically thin layer of black paint, which , at the first rain opens up into bigger and bigger potholes that damage suspensions, tyres and wheels.
These are patched with sugar as within an hour the hole is back.

We rarely see any new roads, and they take many many years to build.

China has built millions of kilometres of roads in the last few years, but this is beyond our abilities.

Yet we pay big for registration, petrol tax, and every other vehicular related tax (cash grab) little of which finds its way back to the system generating it.

Too many crooks, too many greedy public serve us.
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline ranmar850

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2021, 10:38:07 AM »

Yes I do 50,000km p.a. but that just means I pay more fuel excise than the average Joe as well

I accept your point there, and the light vehicle caught up in the commercial vehicle registration costs is probably the best example of "unfairness" . And the extra costs associated with using a Falcon ute for work  in your example are certainly onerous.

Registration fees have historically been based on engine capacity. This goes way back--it used to be expressed as Horsepower, which was actually capacity, and not power generated. And there were often sharp grades as you rose through the categories..

I know--we all know  :laughing7:--that Valkie likes to rant about the "grubberment" , it's just his thing, likes to be the cranky old bugger with time on his hands, if his posts are anything to go on. Amiright?  :dontknow:  he also should have known that he was up for a higher rego fee when he bough the Mux, but did anyway, and now has to grumble. And he also chooses to live in the Central Coast, which, once upon a time, was a quiet, relaxed place to live, and is just now  "Sydney over the Hawkesbury" . This is probably why he is grumpy?  :sad10: And , guess what, government has lot s and lots of services to provide, people want more all the time, and the money has to come from somewhere. And I do find it a little ironic that someone would hold up China as some kind of shining example on road building when they would likely be slagging them off for everything else in the next breath.

But much of your increased costs for "rego" over the last few decades is actually the increased cost of the compulsory third party insurance. Over east, this skyrocketed when your governments privatised the process. This is the biggest contributor to your total cost, by far. The government  over here kept control of the process, and our rego fees appear to be far lower than yours.

We also have no mandatory annual inspections for private vehicles. if you maintain your rego without lapse, the only time it will see the pits is if you get " yellow stickered".  Passenger-carrying vehicles, even Ubers, have a six-monthly inspection. There is no special licencing required if you are using a light vehicle for work, it goes purely on the GVM. Over 4.5 tonne, you need a truck licence. Commercial or not. Rego fees do vary between commercial and private use, not massively. It's up to you to tick the appropriate box when renewing.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2021, 11:27:58 AM »
I like the Victorian fee structure. Doesn't matter what size engine or other nonsense, just whether you're metro, outer metro or rural.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/registration-fees/vehicle-registration-fees
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline Andz

• SX Member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2021, 04:01:57 PM »
Heavier the vehicle, the more damage they do to the roads per kilometre travelled, well known civil engineering fact. Which is why heavy transport pays such high fees. That, and the fact that they are using a state resource to generate income. Same holds for the banana-bending complainant above, you are using a state resource to generate income if your vehicle is classed as commercial. The extra wear is  by a magnitude in multiples of tens, IIRC. Have seen the numbers, can't accurately recall now, easy enough to look it up. And your Mux will wear it more than your wife's little Hyundai. Particularly as your GVM/GCM is around double the little car.
I'm sure I've made myself unpopular here in stating that, but i've always enjoyed playing devils' advocate. :-)

I thought road maintenance is included in the fuel not rego. States get money back from Commonwealth via their yearly grant that covers everything. The bigger the car the more fuel you use.

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2021, 07:34:19 PM »
I might be wrong but didn’t Valkie state a little while ago that he also bought another small vehicle to drive daily to keep the KM’s down on the MUX he loves to drive so much. So then paying more rego fees.
That’s an interesting concept in itself
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2021, 08:41:22 AM »
I might be wrong but didn’t Valkie state a little while ago that he also bought another small vehicle to drive daily to keep the KM’s down on the MUX he loves to drive so much. So then paying more rego fees.
That’s an interesting concept in itself

I actually have 3 cars in my household.
a small Toyota for daily runaround
My wife's small Ignis
and My MUX

I pay more than my share of rego and road taxes.
But I fail to see what this has to do with the fact that one of my cars costs twice as much to register one car than the others.

This thread isnt about how many vehicles I have.
Its about the blatant cash grab by the grubberment for no real reason.

Ill bet most truckies have a small car to get around with rather than their trucks as well.

Not long ago I was paying registration on 4 vehicles.
When my bike was added
And if a MUX damages the road more than a small car and therefore justifies higher rego.
Why does a motorcycle that weighs less than any car do enough damage to warrant even higher rego fees than a small car, simply because it has a 1500cc engine?

I'm looking forward to seeing what the rego costs will be for the battery powered vehicles, once the greenie grubberment gets enough of them onto the road.
Most of these battery cars will weigh more than the MUX, so they should be paying commensurate registration fees.

Finally, one can only drive one vehicle at a time.
So why do we pay registration on all the vehicles.
Why not pay a single registration fee/ licence fee where you can drive any vehicle on that licence/rego.
It would ensure that insurance, registration and licence were always covering any vehicle driven, do away with a number of other isses as well.

As with everything vehicle related.
The grubberment sees cars, trucks and bikes as cash cows.
sadly only a tiny percentage of the fees, charges and taxes associated with vehicles actually makes its way into providing better roads and infrastructure.

The lions share simply makes its way into the greedy grubberments pocket to pay overpaid politicians and public servants.

LS-M MUX
September 2018 build

Offline Aaron S

• LS-U Member
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2021, 12:38:20 PM »

Finally, one can only drive one vehicle at a time.
So why do we pay registration on all the vehicles.
Why not pay a single registration fee/ licence fee where you can drive any vehicle on that licence/rego.
It would ensure that insurance, registration and licence were always covering any vehicle driven, do away with a number of other isses as well.

This would be brilliant, but will not bring in enough $$$$ for the authorities, so will never happen.

Offline tom60

• XRunner Member
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »
Politicians are addicted to money.  There will never be sufficient money to satisfy voter demands.  Therefore they have to think of cunning ways to collect more money.  The day will come when solar subsidies are discarded and fossil fuelled vehicles will pay an addition (and annually increasing) emissions tax.  With some luck and careful planning I'll be dead by then  :laughing7:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal