Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Member type  (Read 7871 times)

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
    • Wife & I 4WD
Re: Member type
« Reply #15 on: Jul 18, 2021, 01:39:00 PM »
If my memory serves me correctly the Monaro was a GTS, the Torana was the GTR. :occasion14:
That is most likely what it is then. Thanks Bob and corrected. I just remember GTR from owning Torona's in my young days. I know its an original and has the fins in the guards and GT something badges on it. Cost him a fair amount completely rusted out, which he had to strip to nothing for all the rust fixes to be done, then dipped, painted and basically start from a bare shell. From memory he was nearly buying the plate... the car was pretty bad. Looking at it now... just WOW. I haven't seen it in near two years due to all this covid crap and not being able to get to QLD and spend some decent time. Will have to ask if he's done more to it. I know he was waiting on the engine to be built in the states then shipped over here.

From what I remember of some of his builds, it takes him a long while to get some parts for them.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #16 on: Jul 18, 2021, 01:47:02 PM »
As a child, my dad worked at the local Holden dealership and I would race over there each time a new model came out and dream, especially the yellow Monaro GTS  :cup:
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #17 on: Jul 18, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »
the local Holden dealership
Those where the days.

Offline jack-fc

• LS-U Member
« Reply #18 on: Jul 18, 2021, 01:56:48 PM »
Nothing wrong with your memory, Bob! And even though I'm Holden-inclined, I'd find room in my shed for an XW in a heartbeat.

mudguard, I've owned over 30 old Holdens, but my standout favourite is the FB wagon. Your neighbours car sounds extremely interesting. Any more info on it?

WAI4WD, thanks for the compliment. Reality is that it's just a monument to an old farts stupidity and a (delicious) way to waste time and money. Built for one purpose only - to keep me (oh, and the Leader of the Opposition) happy; neither of us really give a rodent's rectum if others like it or loathe it...
I was looking for another FB wagon when the L of the O stumbled across this FC and insisted that I could 'make something nice out of it' and that I should buy it 'NOW'.
Given that for decades she would roll her eyes in disgust and say "Not ANOTHER shitheap old Holden" every time I dragged one home, I had little option but to agree with her (but only in the interests of marital harmony, of course...)

Cheers, Jack
Old Fart still pushing the envelope... but it remains stationery

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #19 on: Jul 18, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
the L of the O stumbled across this FC and insisted that I could 'make something nice out of it' and that I should buy it 'NOW'.
No sane man could argue with that logic.

Offline guyfromaus

« Reply #20 on: Jul 18, 2021, 04:45:18 PM »
It is good to see other Isuzu owners with old Holdens.
I still have my FB ute -owned since 1970- on blocks in a shed  and an EH SEDAN since 1978.
Apparently they are becoming valuable (and rare particularly the ute).
Any thoughts on their value in other states.

Offline jack-fc

• LS-U Member
« Reply #21 on: Jul 19, 2021, 11:35:22 AM »

guyfromaus,

any older ute (or panel van) is worth much more than a similar-condition sedan, mainly because commercial vehicles got worked hard, were possibly not as 'loved' as sedans and therefore had a shorter life - so not many left.
With these old cars, condition of the body (rust) is the main consideration. Mechanicals the least important.
But paint is also very expensive. Impossible to put a value on your ute and EH without close inspection. The ute in reasonable original condition could fetch $30k or even more.
If the EH sedan is in similar condition to the ute, it would probably be worth a bit less.
Biggest problem is that a total rebuild (body, paint, trim, mechanicals) will, unless you do A LOT of it yourself, cost more than the value of the finished car... So you could put 1000's of hours into the build for no return on your labour.

Cheers, Jack
Old Fart still pushing the envelope... but it remains stationery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal