Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Optus Mobile Coverage Oz wide  (Read 3685 times)

Offline BlackandBlue

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Optus Mobile Coverage Oz wide
« on: Jun 05, 2021, 04:02:22 PM »
Hi all, first post here...looking for feedback/comments on Optus coverage Australia wide, will i need coverage booster for future trips? Considering Cel Fi Go Optus Repeater/Booster for my 2020 Dmax LS-U(do i need one?)...your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Black and Blue

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
Re: Optus Mobile Coverage Oz wide
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2021, 04:06:07 PM »
I know the Telstra Cel-Fi Go works well for picking up 3G, especially when mounting the aerial nice and high. Optus and Vodafone have spotty 3G coverage at best, so not sure on that network. Saying that, there are just places nothing other than Satellite will work.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

The following users thanked this post: BlackandBlue

Offline JS

• LS-T Member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2021, 04:20:36 PM »
I think most people looking for the best Australian coverage go with Telstra. Optus, Vodafone etc have patchy outback coverage at best.

Cheers
Jim
2015 LST Auto, Drifta Drawers, Isuzu steel Bullbar,
Ironman Pro foam shocks, King springs, 30mm lift, Flexiglass canopy, Nilrust spray underbody and in tray

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2021, 04:51:34 PM »
Agree with Jim, Telstra has by far the largest network.

Just to clarify, the Cel-Fi is for the 3G, 4G and 4GX networks.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline glenm64

« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2021, 06:35:12 PM »
Even those onsellers that "use Telstras network" dont have all the 3G coverage of Telstra network.
That said there are the odd spots with Optus only coverage.
Ive tried signal boosters and chucked them in the bin. I havent tried the Cel-fi. But they cant magically make the signal appear, they just boost what is there.
I use a Thuraya satellite phone on their casual plan when going remote. Gives peace of mind when im travelling remote. Their rates are good and I just cancel it when I'm back home.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2021, 06:45:37 PM »
Exactly, if there is no signal the Cel-Fi will no magically provide one.

I have had the CelS-Fi Pro at home for about 8 years now. I live in a metal framed house with steel roof plus sisalation in the wall, a big Faraday cage. With hour the Cel-Fi I have zero bars but full signal with it.

Cost me $1,600 back in 2013 but worth every cent.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline 257Bob

• XRunner Member
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2021, 07:04:48 PM »
I think most people looking for the best Australian coverage go with Telstra. Optus, Vodafone etc have patchy outback coverage at best.

Cheers
Jim

Agree.  A few years ago I needed to call the NRMA as I locked my keys in the car out bush.  No coverage with Optus but my mates all had coverage with Telstra.  I went back to Telstra after that.
Baldrick, your breath comes straight from Satan's bottom.

Offline jazzeddie1234

« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2021, 11:21:39 PM »
For remote areas I use a 3g/4g dongle with external antenna ports and 1 of 2 antennas - one creatively described as a 35dbi (about $20 and looks like a cross) easy to hang somewhere and can get an extra bar of signal, and one that is a yagi (about $40 and looks like a small tv antenna) that is fussy to aim correctly but can get extra 2 bars.  The yagi has a long cable which is good when camped behind a hill.

My regular phone is optus (through exetel).

Telstra generally wins over optus but I refuse to pay telstra prices so use either their $30/$40 prepaid starter kits often sold in officeworks at 1/2 price, or Boost when they have a sale, and I'm going for aldi next trip.  Resellers get exactly the same telstra network access/coverage but a telstra sold sim gets you access to their free wifi when in a town.
2015 Dmax and 19'caravan. Spend 80% of the year on the road to somewhere

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2021, 06:17:50 AM »
Considering Cel Fi Go Optus Repeater/Booster for my 2020 Dmax LS-U(do i need one?

Been remote places and not so remote too.
Telstra wins hands down and that is thanks to the tax payers money when it was Telecom Australia.

But that is about to end with the deployment of Starlink.
https://www.starlink.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink
Let's wait and see what their roaming solutions will look like.

Not sure how Telstra, Murdoch and their manservants in Canberra will try to circumvent the loss of their monpolies but this is happening... and fast as they are increasing their coverage/deployment

Offline verden

• LS-U Member
« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2021, 09:40:22 AM »
jazzeddie1234 the Telstra reseller network is on the Telstra wholesale network which is different to the full Telstra network which Telstra/Boost use. In some areas you will get Telstra coverage only if your on Telstra/Boost. Belong, Aldi, Woolworths and others get less coverage. I'm on Boost and the wife is on Belong and there are places that i have coverage and she doesn't. We travel regularly between Adelaide and Darwin and Optus has good coverage in some areas and there is no Telstra at all. Optus resellers use the full Optus network.

Offline WAI4WD

• XRunner Member
    • Wife & I 4WD
« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2021, 11:07:54 AM »
I havent tried the Cel-fi. But they cant magically make the signal appear, they just boost what is there.
Yes and No. Yes, a signal must exist, however, when a signal exists, a mobile phone, even the best of them, may not be powerful enough to use the signal, thus the phone reads zero signal available. When you use Cel-Fi with the appropriate powered antenna, that can pickup the smallest of available signal that a phone will not, giving you a signal where a phone would have none by itself.

When the weakest of signal is no more, that is where Cel-Fi stops working. But phones stop prior to that, even though signal exists.
X-Terrain 2021 with a long list of to-do's.

Offline jazzeddie1234

« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2021, 12:14:09 PM »
jazzeddie1234 the Telstra reseller network is on the Telstra wholesale network which is different to the full Telstra network which Telstra/Boost use.

Apologies, you are correct

https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/Guides/Telstra-mobile-network-coverage  shows the differrences
2015 Dmax and 19'caravan. Spend 80% of the year on the road to somewhere

The following users thanked this post: verden, WAI4WD

Offline Mat01

• LS-T Member
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2021, 04:46:42 PM »
Boost. Uses Telstra network other than 5G which is only good in built up areas at this stage

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2021, 06:18:34 AM »
The next Apple 13 is being reported as capable to connect to satellite when 4/5G isn't available... aka remote.
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/08/29/iphone-13-to-feature-leo-to-make-calls-and-text/

I do not like the iThingies line of products and prefer Android but this would be a seller.

Offline irose

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2021, 08:33:42 PM »
The next Apple 13 is being reported as capable to connect to satellite when 4/5G isn't available... aka remote.
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/08/29/iphone-13-to-feature-leo-to-make-calls-and-text/

I do not like the iThingies line of products and prefer Android but this would be a seller.
Not sure about this and maybe some others...https://www.macrumors.com/2021/08/30/iphone-13-satellite-rumor-disputed/?Bibblio_source=true
Our experience with mobile services around Oz is that Telstra has the most coverage, an Aldi sim which uses the wholesale Telstra network is useless in the outback and that Optus works in some bizarre locations where Telstra doesn't e.g. Cape Crawford (NT) and Karijini National Park (WA). We carry a Thuraya sat phone for emergencies but will be looking at installing Cel-Fi as well (or using the neighbors :laughing7:).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal