Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: All-electric utes on the radar for tradies  (Read 9202 times)

Offline VALKIE

Re: All-electric utes on the radar for tradies
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »
Yes, he does make some good points. But why let that get in the way of a good poke? I'm sure some of our fellow members will understand that.

My point, apart from being a bit of a payout, was one about the fact that he was repeating arguments used by the majority of horse owners when the automobile made its way into our history.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Yes, and at the time the automotive industry was a gimmick as well.

It took the likes of true genius to develop a vehicle that could meet the consumers need, be functional and reliable enough to replace the horses.
Do you know just how close we came to steam powered vehicles instead of the current petrol/ diesel vehicles we now drive?

Dont get me wrong.
I dont think we will NEVER have battery powered vehicles, or at least a less polluting system than we have now.

But not with the current technology.

I feel we are missing an important step here.

The mining industry (for which I have been working for over 30 years) uses hybrid vehicles for heavy hauling.
There huge vehicles have a diesel generator running electric motors in all the wheels.
They are much more reliable and economical than could ever be achieved with other systems.

And electric vehicles are being tested and developed as we speak for transportation and some work.

In fact, I am involved in this at the moment.
The battery problem was quite an issue, then the motors, suspension and the structural requirements for all these issues.
Its kept several engineers very busy for the last 4 years with still a few to go.
And the cost?
Well, lets just say I wish i had 2 months worth, I could retire very comfortably thank you.

But for the general public, electric vehicles are in the distant future.
One of our engineers explained to me a single problem that will make electric vehicles impossible for the short term.

It revolves around supply.
A house uses a certain amount of power (not sure exactly what he said)
But to charge an electric vehicle, twice that power would be required at least.
If there are two, or three vehicles in a house, you could draw up to 4x the current power load.

Now, while that may be OK for one house, what if everyone in the street has 2 or more electric vehicles, all coming home and charging up for the next day.
Then there are the delivery vehicles, taxies etc etc.
Now multiply that by suburbs, and cities.

We can barely get enough power now, what if suddenly we needed 4 times what we currently use?
Infrastructure could not handle the load, the power cables would be glowing red (no need for street lights)

Before electric vehicles could be the norm, infrastructure would have to be seriously upgraded, power stations increased several fold.

What's that I hear?   
Solar panels?
again, you will need up to 4x your current use, most solar panel installations produce much less than that.

And at the same time the greenies oppose new power stations, dams and basically everything else.
I wish they would stop smoking the grass and do something constructive.

We may all have to revert to horses just to get to work, because our old dilapidated and obsolete power stations have reached their use by date, the solar panels have stopped being efficient and our electric cars have no means by which to be charged.

Again, with feeling.
In the short term, battery powered cars are a gimmick.
One that the wealthy and virtue signallers will spend a great deal of money on, good on them.

One day, perhaps they will be viable.
But it will take a great leap of science to do so.
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline ajm

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 01:24:50 PM »
Still, it's always fun to have a poke.

Offline MuX444

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 04:31:53 PM »
So we should be raising the curve not flattening it?

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 06:16:14 AM »
If there are two, or three vehicles in a house, you could draw up to 4x the current power load.

That is part of this complex equation.
Over here 'Power and Water' have a monopoly and the aged infrastructure they support CANNOT take in electrical power generated by solar roofs.
We did the study at work due to the amount of sunlight available and it was a CENSORED show.
They can only dish it out, raise the rates and it is dirty power at times.

To re-invest into modernising the infrastructure country wide is going to be on a par with the fiasco the NBN has become.

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #19 on: Jun 01, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »

That is part of this complex equation.
Over here 'Power and Water' have a monopoly and the aged infrastructure they support CANNOT take in electrical power generated by solar roofs.
We did the study at work due to the amount of sunlight available and it was a CENSORED show.
They can only dish it out, raise the rates and it is dirty power at times.

To re-invest into modernising the infrastructure country wide is going to be on a par with the fiasco the NBN has become.

I think the grubberment will say.
"we will invest in the infrastructure as the need evolves"

In other words, we will wait until everyone complains and then do a half assed job implementing something that does half the job for half the time at twice the cost and twice the trouble.

But pushing electric cars, knowing that there is insufficient infrastructure or capacity to supply.
Is lies and misdirection.

There must be a better way to clean up diesel, without compromising its well demonstrated longevity?
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #20 on: Jun 01, 2020, 03:32:37 PM »
But pushing electric cars, knowing that there is insufficient infrastructure or capacity to supply.

Interestingly I spoke to a contractor who was previously engaged by NTGov to evaluate how much power would be generated if areas within the NT were to have solar panels installed.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Barkly,+NT/@-19.4859358,130.3256549,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x2b4cdae7e897d243:0xb308889fb2c4dd76!8m2!3d-20.3331817!4d136.2091547

If that isn't a sun baked country, I'll eat my hat.  :toothy9:

But don't think that's going to happen in my lifetime...

Offline ajm

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2020, 04:03:55 PM »
No doubt about it, it is on the way but how are you going to refill the batteries when you are towing the van and half pull into Balladonia or Caiguna and you are just about empty? :dontknow:
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #23 on: Sep 12, 2020, 06:23:55 AM »
No doubt about it, it is on the way but how are you going to refill the batteries when you are towing the van and half pull into Balladonia or Caiguna and you are just about empty? :dontknow:

With the current pollies at the helm... what could possibly go wrong!! :evil6:
That reminded me of an old satirical cartoon that made me laugh at the time of its posting...

Offline ajm

« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2020, 07:00:21 AM »
There was a mob a while ago that was rolling out power stations (electric service stations) all over the country. Wonder what happened to them.

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
« Reply #25 on: Sep 12, 2020, 12:36:07 PM »
None of the political parties are serious about renewables. The big solar and wind farm near Hughenden western Qld has been finished in the construction phase and ready to go for a year and a half but they won’t let them put more than about 15% of generated capacity into the grid because the Qld government hasn’t upgraded the grid hardware in the area. Other big projects have fallen over due to the same issue.
It’s all talk, smoke and mirrors.
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

Offline ajm

« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »
And yet, the Queensland Government has opened the registrations of interest period for its three planned Renewable Energy Zones.

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #27 on: Sep 12, 2020, 04:28:21 PM »
I am not familiar with this particular situation but I would imagine that Hughenden was getting toward the end of the supple line from the main grid closer to the coast so now they are going to feed the supply in the opposite direction resulting in the need to beef up the line back the other way so not that simple as just plugging it in.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
« Reply #28 on: Sep 12, 2020, 05:01:54 PM »
Sure, but these projects have been years in the planning, then construction. Not just done overnight. They are all happy to talk about the benefits but don’t actually do much to upgrade the infrastructure that we have been paying for anyway.
Hughenden is in the middle between massive mining ventures that are very power hungry. Like I said, they are all talk.
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

Offline ajm

« Reply #29 on: Sep 12, 2020, 06:00:07 PM »
Years in the planning....rubbish. isn't there an election soon? Anastasia organised this herself just this week. after dealing with the bully PM, she was just all go go go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal