General Boards > Off Topic

All-electric utes on the radar for tradies

(1/11) > >>

yvesjv:
Dunno how that's going to workout way out on the Gibb road or the Cape but as solar gets improved all the time, could be something in it.
https://thedriven.io/2020/05/25/morrison-government-finally-admits-there-will-be-electric-utes-and-evs-can-tow-caravans/

But the useless politicos are known to promise to do it better than qualified engineers by doing it "better, faster and cheaper" <sarcasm intended>
Good luck with that!

ajm:
Check out Rivian. They are planning to land in Australia with right hand drive this year, according to US articles.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Bob:
I can't see electric tow vehicles taking over internal combustion for some time yet, well not for me anyway.

Last time I headed east in 2015, I drove three very long days to get from Perth to Port Agusta driving 12hour days.

Maybe if they can come up with a rapid fill system. Having a long range tank, I can tow all day without needing to refill but can't see that happening with electrics.

VALKIE:

--- Quote from: Bob on May 26, 2020, 09:50:40 AM ---I can't see electric tow vehicles taking over internal combustion for some time yet, well not for me anyway.

Last time I headed east in 2015, I drove three very long days to get from Perth to Port Agusta driving 12hour days.

Maybe if they can come up with a rapid fill system. Having a long range tank, I can tow all day without needing to refill but can't see that happening with electrics.

--- End quote ---

Al you need to do is tow a trailer with a diesel generator on the back running at full tilt all the time running the electric motors.

Easy

ajm:
If they can build an electric prime mover capable of towing freight, I think towing s caravan might be doable. It will depend on scale, I guess. How big/heavy will the batteries need to be? And, as you mention, how quickly will they be replenished and from what source.

Towing a generator might just work. Or maybe a wind turbine on a trailer....

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version