Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: All-electric utes on the radar for tradies  (Read 9218 times)

Offline yvesjv

All-electric utes on the radar for tradies
« on: May 26, 2020, 07:43:34 AM »
Dunno how that's going to workout way out on the Gibb road or the Cape but as solar gets improved all the time, could be something in it.
https://thedriven.io/2020/05/25/morrison-government-finally-admits-there-will-be-electric-utes-and-evs-can-tow-caravans/

But the useless politicos are known to promise to do it better than qualified engineers by doing it "better, faster and cheaper" <sarcasm intended>
Good luck with that!

Offline ajm

Re: All-electric utes on the radar for tradies
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:34:55 AM »
Check out Rivian. They are planning to land in Australia with right hand drive this year, according to US articles.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:50:40 AM »
I can't see electric tow vehicles taking over internal combustion for some time yet, well not for me anyway.

Last time I headed east in 2015, I drove three very long days to get from Perth to Port Agusta driving 12hour days.

Maybe if they can come up with a rapid fill system. Having a long range tank, I can tow all day without needing to refill but can't see that happening with electrics.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 12:31:27 PM »
I can't see electric tow vehicles taking over internal combustion for some time yet, well not for me anyway.

Last time I headed east in 2015, I drove three very long days to get from Perth to Port Agusta driving 12hour days.

Maybe if they can come up with a rapid fill system. Having a long range tank, I can tow all day without needing to refill but can't see that happening with electrics.

Al you need to do is tow a trailer with a diesel generator on the back running at full tilt all the time running the electric motors.

Easy
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline ajm

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 12:39:44 PM »
If they can build an electric prime mover capable of towing freight, I think towing s caravan might be doable. It will depend on scale, I guess. How big/heavy will the batteries need to be? And, as you mention, how quickly will they be replenished and from what source.

Towing a generator might just work. Or maybe a wind turbine on a trailer....

Offline watsea

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »
[quote

Al you need to do is tow a trailer with a diesel generator on the back running at full tilt all the time running the electric motors.

[/quote]

Sounds just like a diesel electric train locomotive, except they are normally put those in front of their tow loads :laughing7:

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 04:30:33 PM »
So lets see, I will tow the van and my wife can be in her car towing a trailer with the genny on the back. All I need now is a long extension lead or maybe I should work on the idea of transmitting the charging power via UHF.:dontknow: :laughing4:
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline maxs ss

• LS-U Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 04:48:14 PM »
Check out Rivian. They are planning to land in Australia with right hand drive this year, according to US articles.

For what I have read the Rivian will have a starting price of $100,000. Not in many people's budget.
In one story a few responders said they would buy. Reality says when the time come they won't.
Talk is cheap.
2016 Dmax LSU, Obsidian grey, Flexiglass canopy, Cargo slide, Thumper elite 110a dual battery, Catch can, Ironman 50mm lift, Ironman bullbar and rear bar, Uniden UHF, Stedi 22" lightbar, 16x8 black rims, 265x75x16 Toyo AT2, Hema HX1, Brown Davis LRT, EDS, Redarc tow pro.

Offline ajm

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 04:50:30 PM »

For what I have read the Rivian will have a starting price of $100,000. Not in many people's budget.
In one story a few responders said they would buy. Reality says when the time come they won't.
Talk is cheap.
At that price, I'll get two.

Not.

Offline Ray68

• LS-U Member

Offline irose

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 06:56:50 PM »
The Tesla Supercharger takes about an hour to fully charge a Tesla Model X. Wouldn't want to be in a queue!

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 12:30:59 PM »
Im all for saving the planet.

But there are far greater problems on this planet that diesel fumes.

Our population is growing logarithmically, and with more people comes more deforestation, more food crops, more pollution and more environmental destruction.

The least advanced cultures are the worst offenders, breeding out of control and far beyond their capability to support the massive increase in numbers.

Sooner or later we will have to come to the point of no return.
Mass migration by way of invasion will happen, but this will not solve the problem, only exacerbate it.

There is so much wasted effort in trying to stop a symptom when they should be working out how to reduce the worlds population.
Not by genocide or other unsavory means, but by compulsory contraception.
if you cannot support your population, reduce the numbers and keep them low.

Instead, we waste our time thinking up bigger and better ways to make life hard for everyone.

battery powered cars are a gimmick, nothing more, nothing less.
They are not practical, efficient, safe or cheap.
We do not have the technology to make them efficient, practical, safe or cheap, so its a no brainer.
People want to simply get into their vehicle and drive.
they want no restrictions, like sitting around at some charging station for hours to top up before they drive.
We have huge distances to travel in Australia, I just cannot imagine driving from Melbourne to Perth in a toy car. 
Then there is the batteries, seriously?
The make up of batteries is a rather nasty, toxic and flamable material.
They catch fire and its a case of "LET IT BURN" because they cannot put it out.
All the toxic fumes billow everywhere, great in a city I imagine.

And after a few years when the batteries can no longer hold a charge, they will have to be replaced.
You think replacing an engine is expensive, wait until you have to fork out for a battery in those things.
Then they have to dispose of the toxic things...wow.

finally there is the myth that they are environmentally friendly.
They have to be charged, where does that power come from?    Power stations, nuclear or coal fired, because there is no viable alterative yet.
The batteries have to be manufactured, out of...... you guessed it, toxic materials.

Unless we have a massive technological brainwave and find some way to generate power better, make batteries more efficient and faster charging and can produce them at a reasonable cost.
We need to keep good old diesel.

I certanly will never be able to afford an electric car, nor do I want one.
LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

The following users thanked this post: rajahhindi

Offline ajm

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 02:25:11 PM »

battery powered cars are a gimmick, nothing more, nothing less.
They are not practical, efficient, safe or cheap.

What's the name of your horse Valkie

The following users thanked this post: Achis

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 05:22:36 AM »
What's the name of your horse Valkie

Come on ajm... Valkie has a strong and valid opinion.

In an interesting post, he described part of a very complex problem.
IMHO, this battery solution is going to be a nightmare and that's because of the way our very capitalistic market works.

It has worked great for us that have steady employment in a stable environment and we couldn't care as long as we put food on the table, have a roof and can afford a big bash couple times per year.
But in these crazy times, it appears to have utterly failed the very many.

Yes, big business and their errand boys in the Govs are borrowing huge credit and trying to keep this global ecosystem system alive.
And I'll probably go along with it as I selfishly like myself and my close ones to retain the comforts this destructive system provides.

The battery systems that will under power the vehicles of the future will be I think part of our "consume and throw away" market.
It is too big a market of the future for big business not to disregard it and I think we are already looking at mining rare metals from the moon?!?

Ok rant over... it's Friday

Offline ajm

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 10:37:19 AM »
Yes, he does make some good points. But why let that get in the way of a good poke? I'm sure some of our fellow members will understand that.

My point, apart from being a bit of a payout, was one about the fact that he was repeating arguments used by the majority of horse owners when the automobile made its way into our history.

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal