Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: 12 Volt Compressors  (Read 2199 times)

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: MUX
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
12 Volt Compressors
« on: May 16, 2020, 11:54:34 AM »
Has anyone bought, used, loved, hated or got an opinion on the following two compressors?
I know there are a heap of other brands out there and i’ve Owned and used a couple good and bad. I’ve read reviews on some that I’m now not interested in due to warranty issues being hard to resolve. I know there is a big price difference and I’m Leaning towards the Thunder brand. It will be used regularly but only on one vehicle.

Sherpa 4x4 Compressor
Thunder Compressor with Tank
Thanks in advance Shane

Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

Offline yvesjv

Re: 12 Volt Compressors
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 11:53:44 AM »
Looked for the reviews on these two units but not much love found.
I'm guessing not many members knows much towards these units... apart from pumping up the tyres, what do you intend to use them for?

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »
Yeh, same result for me. Now living where Inskip Point, Fraser Island is just down the road. I work at Rainbow Beach and can drive on the beach everyday if I wanted to. I have an old little Bushranger unit that is good for kids toys and footballs but not really quick for several tyres. I also tow a Caravan so a slightly larger size compressor in storage isn’t really an issue. Not much room under the passenger front seat to permanently mount an ARB one like my last vehicle and worry about the heat they generate under there as well. I’ve spoken to some who have had great life out of their well known cheaper units and others who’ve had issues and trying to get warranty resolved has been a nightmare. I don’t want to be sending things back and forth through the post.
I’ll probably go for the Thunder brand compressor and take my chances. It appears there is a stockist in Gympie.
Cheers Shane
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 03:46:45 PM »
During the holidays I was binging on one of these 4x4 shows on TV.
There was a row of the TV shows starting with the Pat Callinan show, then the two worst bush drivers in Australia: all4adventure... and finally "The OffroadAdventure" show

One of the vehicles in the offroadaventure show had an airpump system put in which pretty much did the hard work on all wheels without struggling. I think he called it a spider or something like that. I'm still googling for it.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uogeiwQ-D0g

Offline mudguard

• LS-U Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:54:04 AM »
We use a Dr Air model AC490 which we bought in 2005 , it has had minimal use but has never given us any problems.
It has pumped up 4 car and 4 van tyres one after the other after coming off dirt and back onto bitumen without ever tripping out . cu
2017 MU-X LSU Tour Mate . Tow bar, alloy bull bar, bonnet protector, side steps, carpet mats ,slimline window weather shields, redarc brake controller, redarc battery isolator ,RM6000 brake safe monitor,HDP Catch Can

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal