Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: COVID 19  (Read 5525 times)

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
COVID 19
« on: Mar 25, 2020, 04:03:01 PM »
I know most of you are probably sick of hearing about or discussing the current situation the world is facing with the Covid 19 virus and it probably doesn't have any place on a vehicle forum, but I feel it is nescasary to give our members an outlet to discuss it if they wish too.

First of all I sincerely hope none of our members are effected by the virus, either in the capacity of the illness itself or caught up with the lock downs and the associated financial strain that may follow.
I know this is nearly impossible to be true given what has happened and what is about to unfold over the next few weeks/months.

I was initially wondering if I was a bit too relaxed about the whole thing or if the rest of the world had gone mad.
But a few short weeks later would suggest this is a very serious matter and it will have long term ramifications for most, if not all of us.

As a family we are so far lucky that both myself and my wife are classified as essential workers and from what we are being told will continue to be so even in a total lock down.
Our children are not so lucky. They have all been put off indefinitely until their professions are given the go ahead to start trading again.
Our youngest son is a commercial builder, so at the moment he is still employed but we dont really know what the future will hold for him.

My super fund has taken a massive hit, but that is hardly worth mentioning when people are losing their jobs and lives due to the virus.

I cant be sure of course but Id say we will go into some sort of total lock down in the very near future. And where it goes from there or for how long is anyones guess.

I can only assume we will be in whatever position the government puts us in until at least they see that curve falling consistently and even then they will be very cautious bringing us back to 'normal'.

In Tassie we are lucky in the sense that we are an Island and our government went hard and reasonably fast in reacting to it. I feel we are in the best position in the country.

What are everyones thoughts?
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline Luigi

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Re: COVID 19
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2020, 07:40:03 PM »
If anybody is considering travelling Cape York this season you might not be able to. Roads North of Cairns are closed at Mt Carbine and Wujal Wujal unless you are willing to do the 14day quarantine stint. Not sure how long for but expect 6 months.
The tourist season as come to a grinding halt in Cairns and thats a huge problem with so many people not able to work, I dont envy the state and federal leaders in trying to manage this .... and dont get me started on the dunny paper calamity.

Stay healthy everyone!
2017 LS-U DMax spacecab. Manual, Ally tray back, Ally canopy, stock wheels, Ironman suspension and B/Bar. Safari snorkel and ProVent 200.

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2020, 08:22:47 PM »
haha yeh the dunny paper thing still makes my mind boggle. So does all the panic buying.

Again I may be a bit relaxed about all this but from how I see it we will always have access to supermarkets.

The tourism industry world wide would be taking a major hit and they are not Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

I really feel for the families or individuals that have lost their jobs. I know the government is handing out money...arguably to the wrong people.......but there will be people lose a lot when push really comes to shove.

I guess if there is a positive, everyone will be itching to get out when its all over. Our sporting events will be sold out, our restaurants will be packed etc. Hopefully we bounce back with avengence.
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline mewgaf

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
  • If I wake up, it’s a good day.
    • Prostate Trek Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2020, 04:45:40 AM »
Not to try and take the the lime light. I was admitted to hospital yesterday with at this point in time an unknown condition related to very low blood pressure.
The threat of covid-19 being life threatening to me is a real risk for the next three or four months.
Please take this pandemic seriously and protect yourselves.
In nine months time I hope to catch up with you all touring around.
Cheers
Mark
Have you had a PSA blood test lately.
This could save your life.
Prostate Cancer is no joke.
https://prostatetrek.org.au

The following users thanked this post: sdouglas, yvesjv

Offline mux339

• XRunner Member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »
Best wishes Mark, I trust it's a quick recovery. My wife went through a period of low blood pressure associated with the chemo if I recall correctly.

I'm now confined to barracks having come down with a flu/cold which is unseasonal for me. I'll quarantine myself for two weeks ending Sunday week. I'm feeling ok, normal ups and downs, initially a very bad sore throat with lots of yellow gunk being spat up. No bad fever yet, maybe a very light one for a few hours then disappears. Symptoms vary from hour to hour. Activity is a panacea; relieves the symptoms. Lungs are good.

I haven't been tested for the virus because I don't meet the qualifying criteria for a test. It's a bit stupid when you clearly have so many of the symptoms. So when you read the statistics on the news, add one.

Three adult kids in the household, one disabled (Daniel) who we are trying to protect. The other two "kids" have been stood down from their respective employments sadly. Both work in the leisure/fitness/sporting industry. Both are disheartened, but I'm keeping them busy with shopping tasks, household tasks, and filling in for support workers with activities for Daniel.

Financially I'm an immune pensioner, as my benefits are not affected by financial markets. But I'll take a hit anyway by providing the kids with free board until they re-establish some kind of income level.

I'm glad I contracted this bug early. Hopefully it will provide some level of immunity once I recover so that I can then concentrate on looking after the family.

Protecting family and friends should be the primary effort for all of us during these lean times. If we all do that well then I think we will be a better community for it when we reach "the other side".

Best wishes guys, and gals. Back to the bunker! :occasion14:
2016 MY15 MU-X LST 4x4 Auto | OEM steel bullbar | OEM snorkel | HR tow bar

The following users thanked this post: sdouglas

Offline mewgaf

• LS-T Member
    • Prostate Trek Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:30:23 PM »
I believe that most of us if not all of us will be affected by this in one way or another. Some greatly and some as a year of great inconvenience.
I truly hope that all here come through this.
I can't offer financial majic bullets though I wish I could.

Here are some covid-19 resources that may help. These are by the World health organization WHO
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd

Mark

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2020, 08:23:36 AM »
Geez guys I hope you get better soon, nothing worse than being laid up with an illness.

Offline Mike C

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2020, 07:55:21 AM »
And you can bet, when this is all over, a lot of Australians, especially older Australians, will chose to travel & holiday within Australia.
There will be a boom in spending on internal travel that could last 5-10 years that , hopefully, will see many of our 4WD and camping facilities upgraded nationally.

Offline mux339

• XRunner Member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2020, 05:41:57 PM »
Yes, well said Mike. I think you're dead right. Let's hope so.

Who is going to put their hand up for a Pacific cruise after all this is over? I've never been on a cruise. Until a month ago it was on my bucket list, but not very high up. But now it's definitely off my bucket list. The only cruise I would ever go on now will be a solo one...accompanied hopefully by a hot blonde granny of course!!
2016 MY15 MU-X LST 4x4 Auto | OEM steel bullbar | OEM snorkel | HR tow bar

The following users thanked this post: Mike C, Freddie

Offline mewgaf

• LS-T Member
    • Prostate Trek Inc.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »
Like wise no cruises unless you count going to Tassy on the Ferry.
I was wanting to do an Antarctica cruise when I was given the Cancer news and was thinking of fitting it in between the chemo treatments.
Boy did the chemo treatments change my mind quickly on that plan, yes I was told chemo took a lot out of you, hay it's a plane flight and cruise really not that much hard work. But CENSORED sleeping 18 hrs a day and having trouble walking from a bedroom to the lounge room is not what I expected.
So am I glad I did not go on that as it would have been around feb, at that time my body was not up to it.
Still not able to walk 1km or stay awake more than 12 hrs.

But I am writing down trips that I want to do around Aus.

Cheers All
Hope all are well
Mark

Offline geoffs

• LS-U Member
  • 2016 DMAX LS-M
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2020, 08:09:55 PM »
I note that all of the replies so far have been from people who are not so young any more.
You all give your age away because you care about other people.
Having read a fair bit of info on this Pandemic and the virus it is clear to me that anyone, unlike someone we could all name, realise that this is not a flash in the pan thing. It will not be over by easter. Japan and Singapore tried relaxing their lock down and found out the hard way.
This is not a 2 or 3 month thing and probably not even a 6 month thing. We might get lucky and get to spend Xmas with our families.
As a retiree my only real problems are the rate at which my Pension fund is disappearing and where to find more books to read. One of my children is okay so far as she and her husband are still working. My son on the other hand is on a round Oz trip with his wife and son in a Landrover and Cub camper. They are now stuck near Busselton, not sure whether to risk trying to go north as planned or try to last through the cold down south.
I have seen huge ques at Centrelink offices and going anywhere near a shopping centre is like going through a wild west ghost town.
So far there have been lots of negatives with very few positives. It will be a test for us all which hopefully will see us out the other side before I die so I can go on another trip anywhere bar the backyard. :headbang:

The following users thanked this post: mux339

Offline sharkcaver

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2020, 10:41:55 PM »
My son on the other hand is on a round Oz trip with his wife and son in a Landrover and Cub camper. They are now stuck near Busselton, not sure whether to risk trying to go north as planned or try to last through the cold down south.

WA is in a regional lockdown. Unless they can either:

1. meet the exemption criteria
2. go north without meeting a roadblock

They are stuck in the South West until the regional lock down is removed. Unlike the WA Govt's recommended "stay at home" mantra, the regional lock down has now been legislated and this is law. Break the law at your own peril. AFAIK, there is no exemption for interstate travelers. The Gov't gave plenty of warning for inter-stater's to leave before both the regions and the borders were closed.

Mind you, I could think of worse places to be stuck in than the south west region.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2020, 05:42:36 AM »
Having read a fair bit of info on this Pandemic and the virus it is clear to me that anyone, unlike someone we could all name, realise that this is not a flash in the pan thing. It will not be over by easter. Japan and Singapore tried relaxing their lock down and found out the hard way.

And it is not over by a long shot.
I grew up with going with and watching the old chook buying meat at the local wet market. That's pretty much standard in many places around the globe, difference being no strange/wild animals coming in from all over the world.

Many reports of wet markets already back in business in China (not counting Indonesia, Vietnam, Africa, etc) because that has been the norm for millenia.
And until the individual local Governments decide to do something about regulating/banning the strange/wild imports, expect more craziness.

Funny thing is that the 'preppers' I've been laughing at on TV appears to be having the last laugh at the moment.  :dontknow:

Offline JackDriver

• LS-U Member
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2020, 09:41:16 AM »
Funny thing is that the 'preppers' I've been laughing at on TV appears to be having the last laugh at the moment.  :dontknow:

Hmmm. I wonder how many preppers would have enough supplies hoarded to last for the entire duration of this pandemic.
2015 Isuzu Dmax SX Spacecab auto trayback
2000 Hoden Jackaroo SE T/D

Offline RobbittyBob

• LS-M Member
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2020, 02:41:21 PM »
One sad thing will happen is that there will be a large number of 4WDs up for sale due to people not being able to afford repayments and even selling vehicles to get some cash for those who may be now unemployed even with stimulus packages, on the other hand those still able may pick up some bargains over the next 6 months, bottom line is 3 words "Comply or Die",so my fellow buddies may you and your families  stay safe

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal