Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Panel beaters redland bay, qld  (Read 2898 times)

Offline ajm

Panel beaters redland bay, qld
« on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:49:30 PM »
Folks, packing up camp this morning after three great weeks by the beach, my youngest son sent a tent pole down the side of our neighbours BT50. It's left a scratch down to the metal about 15 cm long on the driver's door. No dent, just a glaring scar on the metallic dark grey paint.

The guy lives at redland bay so imagine he'll get quotes when he gets home.

Anyone know a panel beater down that way who can advise me what to expect? He's talking whole door respray whereas I'm thinking colour matching buff job.

I'll have a pic of it tomorrow to post.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Offline Pete57

Re: Panel beaters redland bay, qld
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2019, 09:04:57 AM »
I did the same thing to my own car a few years ago but managed to get a very small dent as well.  Took it to someone I knew that does dent removals & touch up.  They told me to fix the scratch properly the whole side of the car would need to be painted as it was pearl white.  Something they don’t do.  They removed the dent & did a touch up so at least it did not stand out as much (cost me a carton of premium beer - happy with that)

Sorry but painting the door whole is very likely.  But you never know, the touch up process may have improved in the last few years.  Maybe contact one of the touch up companies & ask.

Offline ajm

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »
Cheers. Found RACQ actually advertises a mobile scratch and dent repair service. Have sent pics to them for a quote. Fingers crossed.

Offline tracks

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »
Don't think you will get much change out of $1000 if any, being metallic a large area of the door if not all usually needs to be cut back, biggest problem will be colour matching and that takes expertise, especially on dark paint, hope the scratch repairer can get you out of trouble but they are limited with what they can do.

Offline ajm

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:21:18 PM »
Bloke is refusing to let Racq scratch and dent people near his "pride and joy". Fair enough I guess. He actually suggested going through insurance by saying I opened my door onto his. Starting to think that might actually be the best way to go.

Offline Richard Puller

• LS-U Member
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:26:03 PM »
When an insurance assessor looks at it he'll most likely recognise that it wasn't caused by a door opening and question it.
If he wants to go the insurance path I'd  offer to pay his excess provided it's not an exhorbitant amount and let him sort it out.
Personally for something like that I'd try not to have insurance companies involved. If a claim is made againt you it will affect your rating which will  probably end up costing you more.

An example. A few years ago my wifes car was damaged in a car park and we couldn't identify the culprit.
The quote was $1300.   It was an "at fault" claim so  I had to pay the excess. Then when the premium was due for renewal it had gone up, as well as the premium for my other vehicle.
At the end of the day I would have been better off just paying for the repair, and the panel beater may be open to negotiation if there is no insurance involved.

Offline ajm

« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:59:00 PM »
Any ideas how much of the quote the insurance company will pay to a repairer? IE if it's a $1300 job through insurance, does the repairer actually receive that much? How long does it take for the repairer to be paid by the insurer? Any other points that could be negotiated upon?

Offline Richard Puller

• LS-U Member
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2020, 06:35:57 PM »
I don't know what negotiations take place between a repairer and insurer but I'd imagine the insurer would be trying to screw them within reason.
The last time I had a repair done I was not at fault, the Insurance Company gave me a list of their preferred repairers and asked me to select the one I preferred.  I took the vehicle there and they negotiated with the assessor. I had to pay the excess to the repairer and it was later refunded by the Insurance Company when they'd determined that I wasn't at fault.
I have no idea what the repair cost.

In your case I'd ask a repairer to give you a quote not involving insurance and see what they say.

Offline tracks

• SX Member
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:38:13 PM »
Ajm just go through insurance company in that case, the panel beater will quote the cost of repair with photos to the insurance company, no assessor would come in to look at a minor job like that,  racq will guarantee the repair,  if you go the other way and do a cash job you wont have any come back if the repair is below standard, my son in law owns a large panel shop and 98% of his work comes from insurance companies (bread and butter) they are priority first and cash jobs for custom work like hotrods.

Offline Pete57

« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:21:04 PM »
As an idea of price, someone reversed out of a driveway and hit our run around car - Nissan Micra.  It is a deep purple almost black metallic colour.  The was a large dent behind the rear door & small mark on rear door.  We went through insurance as the person that hit the car came knocking on the door (very nice).  They had to remove dent, remove bumper, paint rear panel and at least part of the rear door.  Cost was just under $1000.  Admit it is a small car but still cheaper than I expected.

Offline ajm

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2020, 11:31:50 PM »
Ended up paying the other blokes excess after he talked with his insurer and was assured that he wouldn't lose his rating 1.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2020, 06:53:43 AM »
Get Junior to pay it all back by doing chores in and around the house for 10 years with a minimum of 5 years for good behavior?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal