Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Tool Kit for MUX  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Bob J

• SX Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Tool Kit for MUX
« on: May 26, 2019, 01:04:38 PM »
Hi All,
My wife and I are planing to drive our MUX accross this great land from west to east for a birthday in Sydney.
We will be servicing the beast before we leave. But I am wondering what tools I would need to take with us in case.

Regards,
Bob J

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
Re: Tool Kit for MUX
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »
Hi Bob, there are plenty of items you could load up with but probably never need.
I Always carry a good quality tyre pressure gauge.
Sometimes a little portable compressor.
A container of various size fuses. A small funnel in a zip lock sandwhich bag( put back in bag after use)
A small screw driver kit. A couple different types of pliers and diagonal cutters. Small utility knife.
A roll of ring/open end spanners. A pair of welders gloves.
Zip ties, electrical tape, 2 litre bottle of watter to wash hands, Rags.
Bottle of rainex cause i find a dirty windscreen fatigues my eyes and makes me tired.
Most of that stuff fits in the back storage tray in my MUX.
Made up a small curtain with elastic across the top from a baby bunny rug and can hang that in the side windows as required to block out the sun.I have kids in the back most trips.
I also have a 30 litre fridge with water and food behind the passenger middle row seat.
And a roll of Dunny Paper(very important)
Cheers Shane

Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

The following users thanked this post: mux339

Offline mux339

• XRunner Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 03:25:02 PM »
The ambulance man is highly organised I see. Wouldn't have expected anything less. Thanks Shane.

But you did forget the 100mph tape! Second only to the dunny paper.

With regard to ring/OE spanners, you could probably narrow down the selection to 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21 mm (I think), in order to save a bit of weight. And then add a small shifter and a 10" shifter to cater for the rest.

Recommend that you carry a spare fuel filter, just in case you get a dose of crap fuel.

Cheers
Russ
2016 MY15 MU-X LST 4x4 Auto | OEM steel bullbar | OEM snorkel | HR tow bar

The following users thanked this post: sdouglas

Offline Bob J

• SX Member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2019, 10:05:34 AM »
Thanks for letting me pick your brains. I will take on board the advice.

Again Many Thanks.

Offline VALKIE

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2019, 02:14:14 PM »
Id never go anywhere without the following.

Some fencing wire (was around before duct tape and is very useful, and don't melt like cable ties, so can be used on exhausts.

Some rubber hose and assorted clamps., couple of obvious sizes. Can be used to repair a cracked pipe or replace a broken hose.

Duct tape and cable ties Big ones.

A few metres of electrical wire heavy gauge, better too big than too little.

A stick of that twistey metal stuff. You know the one, you twist it together and it sticks to metal and goes off hard. Got me out of a few problems in the past.

Some clean rags, sounds obvious, but it saves having to use the beach towels or SWIMBOs spare dress.

Hide a hundred bucks somewhere in the car, You would be suprised how important it can be in an emergency.

Just my two penniths worth.
I have been driving for 45 years and driven lots of cars that have not broken down but helped fix other peoples cars that have broken down.

Oh, and two more things that I always keep in the car.
Water, several bottles of water , changed evry couple of months.
A blanket.

Several years ago there was a bushfire blocking the road to the Central coast from Sydney.

I was stuck on the Hawksbury bridge for 48 hours.
But with water and a blanket, I was reasonably capable of toughing it out.

Cheers

LS-M MUX
September 2018 build
Bull bar, GVM Upgrade, Air bags, tranny cooler, catch can, driving lights, running boards, long range tank, tow equipped, rear seats removed and fridge slide fitted, throttle controller, UHF radio, roof racks, awning, dash mat, floor mats and still going.

Offline Alan P

• LS-M Member
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2019, 06:16:30 PM »
Some good tips there.

I always have at least two of those rubber tent mats that interlock to allow mt get under the car, without getting my clothes covered in dirt and prickles.  Also a jacking block and a 3/4" square drive slide bar with a reduction to 1/2" to ensure I can get the wheel nuts undone.  Although properly torqued to 85 ft/lb, the nuts seem to lock, requiring significant force to get them undone.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a see through socket set from Repco for $30 that weighs less than a a kilo and comes in a small case 270X280x50 mm. This is accompanied with a 1/2" square drive ratchet wrench and adaptor to be able to use the sockets in situations where the supplied ratchet wrench would be too weak.

Oh, a bottle of Loctite too.
2018 MU-X LSM: Pedders 3200kg GVM upgrade, OL bull bar, Safari snorkel with sock, Kaymar rearbar/towbar (no carriers), MCC sidesteps, Pioneer platform rack supported by a backbone, FlashLube primary fuel filter & catch can.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal