Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: 4WD Courses  (Read 2908 times)

Offline ajm

4WD Courses
« on: Apr 16, 2019, 03:31:09 PM »
I managed to half bury the Dmax up the back of our property last weekend in some mud. The walk home was pretty ordinary. Thankfully, easily retrieved the vehicle with help from my neighbour. It made me realise, I could do with a bit of training up when it comes to mud and loose sand. Any  suggestions for 4wd courses or similar south east Queensland? Preferably north of Brisbane.

Ajm

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Offline AW1

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Re: 4WD Courses
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2019, 05:21:30 PM »
AJM
Any of the 4wd clubs do training courses, or 4WD Queensland (previously the Queensland Association of 4wd Clubs inc)

Athol

Offline ajm

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »
Cheers at-home, will look them up. Any thoughts on the I-Venture stuff through Isuzu?

Offline ajm

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »
That's meant to have read "cheers Athol"

Offline AW1

• XRunner Member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2019, 08:52:33 PM »
AJM

It appears that the IVenture courses training is location specific (ie Moreton Island for sand driving, Vic high country for bush or snow), but I could be corrected as I have not participated in any of their courses.

I was a driver trainer with my club and also 4wd Qld some years back, and the training delivered there did cover most aspects of off road driving and vehicle recovery.

Regards
Athol

Offline ajm

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:35:50 PM »
My parents were in a 4wd club in Brisbane many years ago. They used to meet at the mayne football club each month.

Offline rconnelly

• SX Member
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »
We did an I-Venture Club day down here in Adelaide, and the guy who runs them also runs a 4WD training company locally down here.  It was clear across the day that he knows his stuff, and he is very good an imparting that knowledge to others.  I would definitely recommend doing one of their 1 day events if they have one near you.

Even though they are Isuzu events, he doesn't blow smoke up your arse either, he acknowledges some of the limitations they have, but then goes through how you can work within them to get the most out of your vehicle.  I had done some basic 4WDing years ago, but my partner never had, and she felt a lot more comfortable giving it a go by the end of the session we did as well.

Offline Alan P

• LS-M Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2019, 06:34:06 PM »
Certainly recommend a course with Dave Wilson from Adventure 4WD in Adelaide or any other 4WD training with someone familiar with the latest Isuzu.
We negotiated a one day's 4WD training with Chris Low of Offroad Training Australia at Jakem Farm, St Ives SA as part of the purchase package with the local Murray Bridge Isuzu and found it extremely useful in experiencing and understanding how to use and rely on the vehicle smarts such as hill descent and traction control, options not available in my earlier cars.  We're relying on these features, to get us through most situations without having to install expensive diff. locks.
But of course also join a 4WD Club for free ongoing training, especially in the safe use of snatch straps and winching and safely negotiating mud, side slopes and sand.
Alan.
2018 MU-X LSM: Pedders 3200kg GVM upgrade, OL bull bar, Safari snorkel with sock, Kaymar rearbar/towbar (no carriers), MCC sidesteps, Pioneer platform rack supported by a backbone, FlashLube primary fuel filter & catch can.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal