Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: We are now SSL compliant  (Read 3883 times)

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
We are now SSL compliant
« on: Jul 02, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
Probably useless information but I installed a SSL certificate so our site now uses https protocol instead of http.

To be honest I do not really know what it all means other than it is something that is better  :laughing7:

I have disabled the online shop for a while until I get my head around making it work with some new server settings and the new protocol.
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
Re: We are now SSL compliant
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
Actually Ill rephrase that for now....we are mostly compliant!!

Im having a few issues getting everything with in the forum working on https but ill sort it out eventually.
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline Mike C

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2018, 02:19:29 PM »
Might explain why I just had to log in again. Had to dig around a bit  for the password.

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2018, 02:20:55 PM »
Might explain why I just had to log in again. Had to dig around a bit  for the password.

Hmm ok yeh that might be an issue for some users.

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2018, 03:25:37 PM »
I had to do that on my desktop pc and just now again on my iPad, both time I was asked if I wanted to save my password.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
I had to do that on my desktop pc and just now again on my iPad, both time I was asked if I wanted to save my password.

Ok I know why. It’s because I changed the name of the forums cookie.
It’s not actually because of the ssl certificate.
I’ll change it back tomorrow

Offline wotmate

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • 2017 Dmax LSU Tourpack
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2018, 03:50:11 PM »
HTTP is Hyper Text Transport Protocol whilst HTTPS is Hyper Text Transport Protocol Secure.

Most web pages are made out of HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) with a few add-ons and plug ins, and simply using HTTP means someone, like your ISP, can log the content of the webpages you view, whereas with Secure, they can't.

Banks use HTTPS for internet banking.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2018, 01:20:59 AM »
Probably useless information but I installed a SSL certificate so our site now uses https protocol instead of http.

To be honest I do not really know what it all means other than it is something that is better  :laughing7:

Cool stuff :-)
We use ssl for securing all communications between client devices ans servers for encrypting all communications that has to pass through the public internet and also within our private network for all business stuff.

Using plain http and other non-ssl enabled applications, allows anybody to capture your username/password in clear text.
Perfect example is using your mail application using pop3, imap or just plain ftp to manage your website.
Guess next step would be for all to change their passwords now that it is sent encrypted to your server(s) :-)

Note: nowadays we even have to protect people logins with a third password called two factor authentication as we had many phishing attacks where people are duped into providing their username/password. And I mean many attacks, they just get more and more sophisticated :-(

Wow... apologies, long rant :-)

Offline sveken

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
You could try cloudflare too,

It will get you Free SSL compliance and also DDOS protection and other security benefits,

I use it with lets encrypt on the web server itself

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2018, 10:40:11 AM »
Thanks for all the info gents.

At least our members information is now safer. Not that any of us would share too much info that could put us at risk but a simple thing such as a password being known could put you at risk if there were hackers out there trying to capture the information i suppose.

Just on that I have left our new cookie naming to the new name so this has forced everyone to log in again. I know it is an inconvenience and for some people it may mean searching for an old password but it is something that is better on the back end of the forum...or so I am told!

Just on the SSL, I know there are free options out there but in my instance and the way our forum is set up on our server it was better and easier for me to go with a large reputable company so it has future proofed the forum in that regard.

Thanks for the interest.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2018, 07:28:17 AM »
Just on the SSL, I know there are free options out there but in my instance and the way our forum is set up on our server it was better and easier for me to go with a large reputable company so it has future proofed the forum in that regard.

Hi,
Who is this large reputable company?
Tried to look at your merchandise site and was immediately prompted with a warning message.
Not too sure who created your certificate...
I'd recommend Quovadis to sign/validate your certs as they have been very helpful to us.
See attached image of the warning including the cert info.

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2018, 10:44:48 AM »
I have disabled the online shop for a while until I get my head around making it work with some new server settings and the new protocol.

Hi,
Who is this large reputable company?
Tried to look at your merchandise site and was immediately prompted with a warning message.
Not too sure who created your certificate...
I'd recommend Quovadis to sign/validate your certs as they have been very helpful to us.
See attached image of the warning including the cert info.

We are happy with the company we are using for our certificate on the Forum.

Its a long story but the Online shop is a sub domain which I havent validated, hence I took it offline. Although I have left all the URL's to it in place. I am putting it somewhere else where it will be validated but I just havent had time to get it all sorted yet.

But rest assured the forum is secure and certified by a large reputable company and the online shop will be as well when I get time to fix it  :icon_thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Harry H.

Offline Mike C

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2018, 05:11:33 AM »
I had no real problems logging on to this site a few weeks ago in Australia but now I'm in Greece Edge and Firefox are refusing to log on to this site.

Edge has blocked the site for a few weeks and Firefox started blocking it today.

Fortunately Firefox allows its blocking to be overridden so I can get on, I trust the site but a lot of people may be scared off by the dire warnings proclaimed as part of the overriding process .

Danny I can only bring this problem to your attention, offering any meaningful  suggestions as to a solution is way out of my league.

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2018, 08:24:38 AM »
I had no real problems logging on to this site a few weeks ago in Australia but now I'm in Greece Edge and Firefox are refusing to log on to this site.

Edge has blocked the site for a few weeks and Firefox started blocking it today.

Fortunately Firefox allows its blocking to be overridden so I can get on, I trust the site but a lot of people may be scared off by the dire warnings proclaimed as part of the overriding process .

Danny I can only bring this problem to your attention, offering any meaningful  suggestions as to a solution is way out of my league.

Thanks for that info Ill have to investigate. Its odd that it was getting blocked. Were other forums getting blocked?
Very few of them are SSL compliant yet?

Offline Mike C

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2018, 05:21:50 PM »
Danny,

You were still blocked  by Firefox and Edge  in Greece this morning. Claimed invalid security certificates.

The other Isuzu forum, the TR Register forum and Just Commodores, other sites that I visit regularly, had no problems.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal