Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Broken D Max  (Read 6014 times)

Offline ian.gonzo

Broken D Max
« on: Aug 13, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »
Not my vehicle and photos came in from Pilbara Towing of broken D Max on the Canning Stock Route, have never seen this happen to a D Max before.

The following users thanked this post: yvesjv

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
Re: Broken D Max
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
Whats he got in the back of it? The rear leaves are almost inverted!

Any story behind it?
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: MUX
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »
Looks like a slight ding in the side step too. Loaded to the hilt and hitting potholes in bull dust at speed can do a lot of damage to any make of vehicle.
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

Offline glenm64

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2018, 07:34:20 PM »

Any story behind it?
Dont panic folks. Thats the important part.
Speed? load? tyre pressure? terrain?

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline AW1

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »
Also looks like a very much strengthened spring pack with 7 leaves and 2 of those are quite thick, my ARB 300kg upgrade only has 6 leaves including only 1 thick one on the bottom.

As has been said speed, loaded mass, corrugations and bull dust potholes and something will give.

Regards
Athol

Offline mux339

• XRunner Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
Yeah, I agree, it looks like a very heavy duty leaf pack. Probably installed to provide for an exceptionally heavy load. Without seeing the damage to the RHS or the diff centre, I reckon it's possible that the LHS rear wheel bearing has seized, probably due to excessive load.
2016 MY15 MU-X LST 4x4 Auto | OEM steel bullbar | OEM snorkel | HR tow bar

Offline ian.gonzo

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »
Very little to add to this apart fromwhat was published on Pilbara Towing's site, that it was picked up from somewhere on the Canning Stock Route in Western Australia, would hate to be paying for the towing, usually about $17,000.00 from anywhere along its length. The owners insurance supposably paying for it. Pilbara's reconing is too high tyre pressure, overloaded, too much speed caused damage. They are saying that this is not uncommon in earlier 14 to 16 model D' Maxes.

The following users thanked this post: sdouglas

Offline 73SJR

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2018, 07:56:57 PM »
Never seen a cyclonc pre-filter on an Isuzu snorkel head either!

Offline Freddie

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2018, 12:26:04 PM »
Just home from completing the Canning, well the part that is not flooded anyway.  2185kms or some serious offroad track.  Yes, it is a track, actually a stock route with a track down the middle of it.  Never been maintained.  Rocks, mud ruts, bull dust, clay pans, salt pans, sand, dirt, gravel, more rocks, 800 sand dunes, sticks and tree roots, and corrugations like I have never experienced.  I personally spoke to 7 vehicles who had replaced a total of 14 shock absorbers whilst on the track.  All due to over heating due to excessive loads and speeds.  Not that they admitted that.  On a 30km section of the worst corrugations, we stopped halfway for 30 minutes to let our shockies cool, something we did often.  We had only been travelling at between 10 and 15 kph due to the height and spacing of the corrugations.  We were running 16PSI COLD in our Toyos.  Were passed by three vehicles doing about 60kph and watching their suspensions working so hard was eye popping.  Some of the carnage on the CSR that we saw, proved beyond any doubt, that the advent of modern four wheel drives allows any inexperienced, uneducated, money is not a concern, fool to tackle some of the harshest country I have expereinced and generally survive to brag to their mates.  We survived because of planning, preparation and experince.  Others got lucky.

The following users thanked this post: monbeg, lizard, ian.gonzo, Traveller, yvesjv

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2018, 12:32:36 PM »
Just home from completing the Canning, well the part that is not flooded anyway.  2185kms or some serious offroad track.  Yes, it is a track, actually a stock route with a track down the middle of it.  Never been maintained.  Rocks, mud ruts, bull dust, clay pans, salt pans, sand, dirt, gravel, more rocks, 800 sand dunes, sticks and tree roots, and corrugations like I have never experienced.  I personally spoke to 7 vehicles who had replaced a total of 14 shock absorbers whilst on the track.  All due to over heating due to excessive loads and speeds.  Not that they admitted that.  On a 30km section of the worst corrugations, we stopped halfway for 30 minutes to let our shockies cool, something we did often.  We had only been travelling at between 10 and 15 kph due to the height and spacing of the corrugations.  We were running 16PSI COLD in our Toyos.  Were passed by three vehicles doing about 60kph and watching their suspensions working so hard was eye popping.  Some of the carnage on the CSR that we saw, proved beyond any doubt, that the advent of modern four wheel drives allows any inexperienced, uneducated, money is not a concern, fool to tackle some of the harshest country I have expereinced and generally survive to brag to their mates.  We survived because of planning, preparation and experince.  Others got lucky.

And that should be made post of the year!  :hello2: Not a truer word spoken.
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

The following users thanked this post: ian.gonzo, Traveller

Offline Harry H.

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2018, 04:21:54 PM »

And that should be made post of the year!  :hello2: Not a truer word spoken.

Hear bloody hear.  And, might I say, to the detriment of 'the bush' that we all cherish.
Cheers,

H.

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2018, 06:31:10 AM »
2185kms or some serious offroad track.  Yes, it is a track, actually a stock route with a track down the middle of it.  Never been maintained.  Rocks, mud ruts, bull dust, clay pans, salt pans, sand, dirt, gravel, more rocks, 800 sand dunes, sticks and tree roots, and corrugations like I have never experienced.

We survived because of planning, preparation and experince.  Others got lucky.

This CSR track will have to be the validation for any outback 4x4 offroad vehicle readiness and driving skills.  :icon_salut:

Wonder if Isuzu Ute engineers are reading, the CSR should become the testing ground for the Dmax and Muxes.

Offline ian.gonzo

« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »
Example of corrigations on CSR

Offline Freddie

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2018, 07:30:14 PM »
They are a bit small  ;D. Drove over lots worse.

Offline Manno MUX

• LS-T Member
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »
Freddie,

To be fair, the CSR is 2600+ klms of unmaintained road mostly (if not all) outside areas of dial-up road service. This is not your local dirt road.

My hat is off to those who’ve successfully completed the CSR under their own steam
(Its on my bucket list.)

Cheers
Bruce

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal