Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Companion Fridge or ?  (Read 5313 times)

Offline UrbanJungle1966

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Companion Fridge or ?
« on: Nov 05, 2018, 05:46:49 PM »
Howdie.

Last camping trip the cooling situation just didn't cut it. We normally take the Engle and 2 x 60 litre eskies.  Engle is used to freeze water bottles for the eskies plus the normal frozen stuff.

Anyway the Engle had a horror, mainly my fault as didn't plug the solar panel in, but pretty sure reading stuff on this forum its the smart alternator. Thought I would be right as I have a redarc dc charger but no.

Anyway I need another fridge which will live in the camper trailer and I want it to sit inside a certain spot so dimensions especially height are a factor. The space is 500mm H x 820mm W x 580mm D

https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/companion-mammoth-72l-flexi-zone-fridge-freezer-inc-cover

Seems perfect. I was set on the Waeko or even the Engle as it is a forever fridge of a similar size but ouch the cost. Thats a lift kit.

Has anyone heard anything on the Companion fridges?

Offline Manno MUX

• LS-T Member
Re: Companion Fridge or ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2018, 06:26:35 PM »
I can’t comment on the Companion except to say they’ve been around for years so must be okay.

If you’re ready to buy now, Anaconda have a fridge sale on at the moment.
I picked up a Waeco CFX95 on the weekend for $1,399 ($200 cheaper than best on-line price I’d found)

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »
Could try the “Get a Waeco” site. They have genuine specials direct from  Dometic. I won’t buy another one as I’ve had to replace the Thermister in my 31 litre unit at $250 but my Engel 60 litre is over twenty years old, bashed around and had next to nothing spent on it. Still going strong.And use it all the time for extended periods. Service agents always have repaired ones sometimes at reasonable prices too. 
Can’t comment on Companion as haven’t owned one.
Cheers Shane
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

Offline UrbanJungle1966

• LS-U Member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:04:00 PM »
The 75litre Waeco was my first choice. Its just a bit wide and is cutting into space for more stuff. The 60 is too high. Its a dumb space.

The Engle MT60FP fits pretty good but 60 litres and the price is high but it is completely repairable and we've had ours for 18yrs and still gong strong.

Companion is almost a perfect fit but am I feeling lucky. I know I feel poor a lot :)

Sigh choices.

Offline Harry H.

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:24:10 PM »
As a cheap and cheerful alternative, consider the Aldi 40L fridge/freezer at $500. It measures 714x350x430. It has the 'SECOP' compressor, so it'll operate at a 30 degree tilt like the others.

Mine is fine - no issues, but it's only new.  It's now marketed by Aldi under the name 'Adventuridge'.

Cheers,

H.

Offline shamus

• LS-M Member
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2018, 11:39:36 PM »
Check out the  mishto range on flea bay ,had my my 45 ltr for 3 years and never missed a beat.why pay $1300 for the big name stuff in similar size.mishto cost $370 delivered.freezes very quick and came with insulation cover.

The following users thanked this post: Phred.beagle, UrbanJungle1966

Offline MuxGuys

• LS-T Member
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2018, 03:30:24 PM »
Check out Trailblaza as an option....(sorry I'm pressed for time) we wont own anything else.

:occasion14:

The following users thanked this post: UrbanJungle1966, yvesjv

Offline yvesjv

« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2018, 05:42:51 AM »
Check out Trailblaza as an option....(sorry I'm pressed for time) we wont own anything else.

:occasion14:

Thanks Muxguys
Darn nice options at their site: http://www.norcoast.com.au/

Offline fishfinder

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2018, 06:09:55 AM »
I have 65 litre companion for 4 - 5 years it's on 24 / 7 has been no problems at all, couldn't justify the price on a Waeco or Engel

The following users thanked this post: UrbanJungle1966

Offline Pete57

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2018, 06:09:43 PM »
Noticed Bunnings selling Companion fridges, battery packs and 125watt solar mats.  They advertise they will beat prices by 10% so might be another option

The following users thanked this post: UrbanJungle1966

Offline manchu

« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2018, 12:26:41 PM »
Noticed Bunnings selling Companion fridges, battery packs and 125watt solar mats.  They advertise they will beat prices by 10% so might be another option

Bunnings are notoriously dodgy when it comes to beating prices.    They often have bunnings specific versions of exactly the same product other stores sell so they can avoid price beating.     

I was denied the price beat on a $500 Honda line trimmer last year purely because the product code bunnings uses on their computer system didn't match the competing store webiste.    The trimmers were identical and Honda AU even confirmed it.       They're weasels.     

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »
Companion fridges on sale at BCF at the moment. They price beat very easily last time I tried. Painless.
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

Offline fishfinder

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2018, 08:02:24 PM »

Bunnings are notoriously dodgy when it comes to beating prices.    They often have bunnings specific versions of exactly the same product other stores sell so they can avoid price beating.     

I was denied the price beat on a $500 Honda line trimmer last year purely because the product code bunnings uses on their computer system didn't match the competing store webiste.    The trimmers were identical and Honda AU even confirmed it.       They're weasels.   
spot on. On a lot of their products if you go to the manufacture website and do a search on part number quite often it says exclusive to Bunnings

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal