Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Air compressor  (Read 26740 times)

DmaxDave

Re: Air compressor
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »
The only issue with using a ciggie socket is the ciggie socket is not rated for the job.  Ciggie sockets are normally rated at only 10 amps but that compressor will draw probably around 40 amps (I have a similar looking compressor and it does).  You would be popping fuses and possibly run the risk of a short and resultant fire.  With a compressor like yours, make sure you only use it with the engine running as it will drain a battery pretty quickly.

Maybe wire up a short length of 6B&S from the battery to an Anderson plug under the bonnet, don't forget to add a 40 amp fuse between battery and plug.  Then cut off the aligator clips but leave about 300 mm of cable.  Now on each end of the cut cable add an Anderson plug.  You can still join the cable (using the Anderson plugs) and use the aligator clips on any battery but also be able to take the aligator clips off and plug directly into the Anderson plug under your bonnet.

Dave

Offline Bookleaf

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »
Cigarette lighter - NO
The compressors draw far too much current for these. Some up to 40/50 amps!!
Use an Anderson plug if you want to change the alligator clips.  Mount one permanently (fused to about 60A) connected directly to your battery, and as close to your battery as possible. Plug the compressor in when needed - quick and easy.
Run the motor while you are using the compressor so the battery is not flattened.
White MUX- LSM, Dig-Options GPS and reversing camera, Anderson plug & VSR. Bent front number plate and various scratches and knocks underneath from 4wd-ing.

Offline Billy

• LS-T Member
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:12:13 AM »
Thank you Gentlemen  :notworthy:
Luckily I asked first before giving it a go!  :crybaby2:

I like the idea of installing an Anderson plug, I will be able to do this myself, besides a permament compressor install, the Anderson plug is the next best thing.

Cheers,
Bill.

Offline whitey001

• LS-T Member
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:18:56 AM »
Will probably look at doing the same with an Anderson plug for a non-permanent install.

Al.

Offline Forca

• SX Member
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2016, 12:35:52 PM »
Hi,

I'm running with a Air Max III by Bush ranger. Very good unit, not cheap tho. Think it was around $350 with a tyre pluggit kit. Comes with a 5 year warranty! Very happy with it, never missed a beat.

http://www.bushranger.com.au/maxair_3_compressor.php#.VrAHJNI0Wm4

Offline springer67

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2016, 02:26:27 AM »
I had a repco, lasted about twelve months, I now have a TJM, very happy with it

Offline blackdragon27

• SX Member
« Reply #36 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:17:43 PM »
I have an LST, currently I have a portable compressor that runs off of the battery. I was wondering what on board options others have fitted? I've been thinking long and hard and am considering running an in board,
I was contemplating running something like the ARB CKMA12 and mounting it inside the 3rd row cup holder above the L/H side wheel well. Then having a the cooker accessible from the plastic sidewall just near the 12v outlet. Has anyone else tried this?

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Offline blackdragon27

• SX Member
« Reply #37 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:19:09 PM »
Refer image

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Offline Chancho12

• SX Member
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »
I have an LST, currently I have a portable compressor that runs off of the battery. I was wondering what on board options others have fitted? I've been thinking long and hard and am considering running an in board,
I was contemplating running something like the ARB CKMA12 and mounting it inside the 3rd row cup holder above the L/H side wheel well. Then having a the cooker accessible from the plastic sidewall just near the 12v outlet. Has anyone else tried this? Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Blackdragon, did you end up mounting it under the 3rd row cup holder on the left? I saw that someone on a Fbook page had done it and I took it off yesterday - there is a heap of room in there. Is it the same amount of room on the other side?

Offline Jeffie

• SX Member
« Reply #39 on: Apr 10, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
Anyone considering a Thumper from 4wd Supacentre be warned.
Bought one April 2015, used it about 6 times just to top up car tyres, went to use it last week - no air just a lot of noise.
Rang 4wd Supacentre, submitted a claim, got the runaround.
Unit is as brand new, offered to present it to Lylidale store for inspection but kept getting the runaround.
Unit is guaranteed for 12 months but I believe they should have at least considered replacement.
Wont buy anything from them again.

Jeff

Ziggy

« Reply #40 on: Apr 10, 2017, 08:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up.

Offline monbeg

• LS-T Member
« Reply #41 on: Apr 10, 2017, 11:18:46 PM »

Offline Mike44

« Reply #42 on: Apr 30, 2017, 08:04:45 PM »
Awesome read guys, I was sold on ARB compressors but it looks like you can get better for less... food for thought..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal