Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Generators - Types  (Read 9983 times)

Offline Carlin1983

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Re: Generators - Types
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »
Any generator produces sine waves, it is just not necessarily in synch with the thing you want to Power or the correct voltage. A generator won’t create modified sqaurewaves, they are a product of electronic switching.

I might be way off - if I took my UPS to the tool shop and got them to start the Demo ones, and then plug UPS in and see if it would accept the power from generator or just keep going to the battery.   Would that give a idea on power quality.

Or is my thinking off.
2010 D-max LS Hi-Ride - HPD Catch can - EGR Bypass - Donaldson Prefilter - Dobinson Shocks - OME Leaf Springs - Engine Data Scan - Greasable Shackles and Pins.

Offline Decca

« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »
Yes.  UPS's will rectify incoming voltage and recreate the sinusoidal 230V.
UPS's are used to clean up dirty/varying voltages as well as provide power when the incoming mains goes out. Length of supply when power is out is dependant on the UPS's battery capacity.

If using a UPS for your 'delicate/sensitive' electronic goods then you could get away with a 'poorer' quality generator although I think it is false economy if powering items regularly via the UPS.....although  UPS will provide power from its battery/s when there is no incoming voltage.

Offline Carlin1983

• LS-T Member
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:07:34 PM »
I’ll prob go with a inverter one, was just interested.

When it comes time price Honda / Yamaha also saw this on on Westinghouse site. Just been reading heaps.

https://glencoairpower-4f77.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/westinghouse_digital_inverter_generator_brochure.pdf
2010 D-max LS Hi-Ride - HPD Catch can - EGR Bypass - Donaldson Prefilter - Dobinson Shocks - OME Leaf Springs - Engine Data Scan - Greasable Shackles and Pins.

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »
Carlin
If using at home or camping, the Decibel reading stated on Honda's and Yamaha's I believe is reasonably true. Others claim better stats, but you run one and your ears may notice the DB reading isn't as stated on the label.
So make sure when buying you have tried a few and even test them with your phone recording the sounds. Maybe you can analyse the waveform on a sound program to see the results.

Offline Carlin1983

• LS-T Member
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:31:12 PM »
Carlin
If using at home or camping, the Decibel reading stated on Honda's and Yamaha's I believe is reasonably true. Others claim better stats, but you run one and your ears may notice the DB reading isn't as stated on the label.
So make sure when buying you have tried a few and even test them with your phone recording the sounds. Maybe you can analyse the waveform on a sound program to see the results.

My old man has in last few mths brought the 2kw Honda inverter one, when I visit next going to fire up and listen etc,  then compare when I go have look at others. 

Offline Freddie

« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:39:10 AM »
The 2kw Honda is in runout at the moment. Some great deals going if anybody still has stock.  New model is 2.2kw

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:24:11 PM »
Freddie,
Do you know if that makes them 1800w continuous?

Offline wintrmute

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
  • MU-X LS-U
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:48:59 AM »
I've owned three generators now; four if you count the fact that one of them had to be replaced just one month in.
The cheaper generators were all awful -- they worked sometimes, but when you really wanted them to, they didn't -- and I did know to look after them, not leave old fuel in the carby, etc.

Ended up buying a Honda eu20i maybe three years ago, and it has been great.
2015 Mu-x LS-U Fjord blue; Geolander A/T-S; GME CB; Roof tray

Offline My Names Earl

• LS-M Member
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:25:53 PM »
I'm in the same boat, my ebay Fuji generator has died after 8 years of abuse use. Can't get spare parts, was big enough to run small box A/C or fridge, batter chargers for the boat etc, but couldn't power a 2400W kettle. Was great value $450 and did the job.

This time round dollars aren't the issue, so will be getting the Yamaha 2800 inverter generator from MyGenerators because of warranty, availability of spare parts,smart throttle for fridge and A/C and big fuel tank.

MU-X LS-U MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Canvas Seat Covers | Rubber Floor Mats | Tow Bar | Head Light Protectors | MMC Black Single Hoop Deluxe Bull Bar | Runva 11XP Winch | Clark Rubber Rear Cargo Mat | what next

Offline UrbanJungle1966

• LS-U Member
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »
Have a look at this. Never had issues with there gear.

It's pure sine wave which is what you want for computers etc. Even will run a hair drier on low.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/products/generators-24/2kva-generator-combo-deals/adventure-kings-2kva-generator-cover-for-2kva-generator.html

Offline Carlin1983

• LS-T Member
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
I’d thought about a cheaper one - but I will be going a Honda / Yamaha / Westinghouse.

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »
Carlin.
Honda and Yamaha are renown engine makers who also attach an alternator to their product, integral with the inverter unit.
Westinghouse don’t make engines but must contract the production or procurement of something which is also called a generator. Unless to be used as toy sometimes perhaps the proven ones are best value in the long term.

Offline boorabee parker

• SX Member
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
I’d thought about a cheaper one - but I will be going a Honda / Yamaha / Westinghouse.

Hi Carlin. I bought a Honda 2.0I in 2007 for work purposes. Still have it today and it has been used on many job sites and as back up power for our house.

A mate has a Yamaha for about six years. 2.4 kva. He uses it for back up power to his house and his caravan.

To date nil problems with either.

Offline Wal

• XRunner Member
  • 2015 DMAX LS-U
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »
It really is a no brainer. Honda and Yamaha are by far the best generators. May cost that little bit more, but they will outlast the rest, and definitely have the lowest dB.
2015 DMAX LS-U Dual Cab Tour Mate l  Venitian Red l  EGR Canopy l  Nudge Bar l Korr Light Bar l Dual Battery l Tinted Windows l Reversing Sensors l Dr Air Compressor l HPD Catchcan l Digoptions Head Unit l Toughdog Shocks

Offline sdouglas

• XRunner Member
  • 2016 MUX LS U . TJM bar, HR towbar, TOYO AT2’s
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:50:47 PM »
Carlin, it looks like you do a fair bit of research before you purchase gear. Prices vary a bit from place to place. I made a plywood deck with decent castor wheels for my 2800 watt Yamaha generator. Then I cut the base out of an Iplex cardboard box . It fits over perfectly. Keeps dust off it and sits in the corner of the garage and looks like an old box of plumbing pipe fittings. If I was to buy again it would still be between a Yamaha or Honda. They’re both just super reliable, like Isuzu’s.
cheers Shane
Don’t worry about things you can’t change!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal