Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Building a drop slide  (Read 8147 times)

Offline Myst

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Building a drop slide
« on: Jun 21, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
G'day all,

looking at building a drop slide for a 60L engel that resides permanently in the back of my Dmax - my short ass missus can't get in there :)

Anyone undertaken such a project? Any plans or schematics that you've used? Pitfalls? Traps for young players?!

Muchos gracias!

Offline knoath

Re: Building a drop slide
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
Myst, I'm guessing the fridge is on top of double drawers?
I had the same problem, so I lost a drawer and ran a slide beside my single drawer.
Now I don't carry as much crap and I can get into the fridge! :laughing7:
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline Myst

• LS-U Member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2017, 10:58:59 AM »
Hey Knoath,
the fridge sits on a single drawer mate, but its a custom system and sits higher than most off the shelf ones. Its compounded by using an Engel slide, which doesnt extend very far at all, in fact the lip of the canopy door impedes the fridge from opening. While i could easily build a new slide, it doesnt offset the issue of having a short missus and me having to Engel-dive every time she or the kidlets want something cold.

Have found a few good pics on home made ones... when time permits, i'm going to start having a play and see what i can come up with.

Offline Bookleaf

• LS-U Member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »
I have asked in another thread about using a drop slide.  This was prompted by exactly the same issues mentioned above viz: bum close to the ground and the wide rear bumper/door lip making the existing drop slides virtually unworkable.
I have thought of building a flat slide which extends about 400mm or so and thus clearing the bumper and then the drop slide mounted on this.  Is seems however that no one has done this to date.
It is possible to get quite long runners that will bring the fridge out past the bumper in a single pull. By making your own slide that sits at floor level seems possible to get the fridge out far enough but at the expense of the loss of your draw.  The fridge would be lower than it is now and may be low enough for you.  I am looking to have it lower again if possible.
Keeping an eye on this thread to see if any other ideas come to light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
White MUX- LSM, Dig-Options GPS and reversing camera, Anderson plug & VSR. Bent front number plate and various scratches and knocks underneath from 4wd-ing.

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »
I have a 40L Engel and 32L Waeco which sit in the rear drawers so don't need a drop slide but I was researching another idea and found these plans for a few different sizes, best drawings I have seen and would be simple enough to make a slide from that info.

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline xsm

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2017, 12:02:15 PM »
I find my self made cabinet/slide works well. I don't have drawers but they could be added next to the cabinet if desired. The fridge comes out far enough that it's easily accessible even for my 5'2 wife.

I first removed the seats and installed a false floor. Then the cabinet is just screwed to the floor. (Lots of screws). Easy to take the cabinet out when not needed.

Cheers
Martin

Offline Myst

• LS-U Member
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2017, 10:32:56 AM »
Thanks mate, have sourced a 175kg per side set from UES up here in Darwin for $150. Now to start playing with the welder...   :hello2:

The following users thanked this post: knoath

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2021, 06:51:15 PM »
Long time since last post but was wondering how you went with making your own drop slide.

Thanks mate, have sourced a 175kg per side set from UES up here in Darwin for $150. Now to start playing with the welder...   :hello2:
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal