Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: 2nd car - compact/midsize SUV type thing  (Read 4585 times)

Offline BrisVegas

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
2nd car - compact/midsize SUV type thing
« on: Jun 08, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »
Since I sold my Pajero two weeks ago, the MU-X has become my day-to-day vehicle and SWMBO is looking at getting a car for herself.  As much as she likes the MU-X, she wants something a bit smaller and zippier, but still high up with lots of room for our kids and all their crap.

She has driven a few and narrowed it down to:
- Ford Escape Trend 1.5 ecoboost 2WD - https://www.ford.com.au/suv/escape/
- Hyundai Tucson Active X auto 2.0 2WD - http://www.hyundai.com.au/cars/suvs/tucson
- Kia Sportage Si Premium auto 2.0 2WD - http://www.kia.com/au/cars/sportage.html

Ruled out:
- Rav4 -  too dear, too bare
- CX5 - too dear, everyone's got one
- Tiguan - too dear (don't trust their DSG autos)
- Forester - too dear (don't like CVT autos)
- CRV - grandma's car.

These are at the "cheaper" end of the SUV market and can get them all for low-mid $30k's.   

The Kia and the Ford have the most kit (rear aircon, dual zone climate, satnav and a few other things).  The Ford has by far the strongest engine, but only a 3 year warranty (versus 5 for Hyundai and 7 for Kia), so we added an extended Ford factory warranty to it to bring up to 5yrs.  They're all pretty much the same price.

I drove the Hyundai and Kia and thought they were nice enough, but were pretty gutless.  The Ford 1.5 was a revelation with it's little ecoboost motor.  So, anyway, all good we decided on the Escape and gave the leasing company the go ahead to get it happening....

Turns out the local Ford dealer who won the tender didn't have the colour we wanted in stock and there are literally none available anywhere and the next batch are not due til October!  So, in classic bait and switch style, the dealer found a 2.0 AWD model they had in the same colour and are doing a really good price to clear the stock.  It's literally $1500 more than the 1.5 but comes with AWD, the 178kw/340nm motor and power tailgate and keyless entry.  Seems too good to be true right?  Right!

The only downside is that it's a 2016 build, Dec 2016 compliance.  They're calling it a 2017, but it's a 2016 as far as I'm concerned.  So, to my questions....

1. Should we stop worrying about the 2016 plate and grab a bargain?
2. Should we convince SWMBO to get a more boring colour in the cheaper 1.5 FWD.
3. Should we pay even more for a 2017 plate 2.0 (quote from leasing mob was $4.5k more)
2015 MU-X LS-U | TJM Bullbar & steps | TJM Torq winch | XGS 4000 | MickeyT ATZ P3 | ECUSHOP UltraBoost | Redarc SBI | TJM dual batt | XRay 220 HID | HR Towbar | Redarc TowPro | Airtec snorkel | 8" GPS | ARB 112  tank | MSA seatcovers | Sandgrabbas | Rhino Pioneer | 42" LED bar | Supapeg awnin

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
Re: 2nd car - compact/midsize SUV type thing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2017, 08:58:24 PM »
1. Should we stop worrying about the 2016 plate and grab a bargain?
How long do you plan on keeping it? If it's long term, don't worry about it. If it's short term, it most like would affect the sale price slightly.

2. Should we convince SWMBO to get a more boring colour in the cheaper 1.5 FWD.
As above, if it's short term, buy a colour that's popular and easy to sell.

3. Should we pay even more for a 2017 plate 2.0 (quote from leasing mob was $4.5k more)
Only you can answer the $$$ question at the end of the day. However, do you really need a 2.0 over a 1.5, when everyone has to respect the speed limit? She isn't into beating "P" platers at the traffic lights is she?

If you are set on the Ford because of the performance, then I'd go with the 2016 AWD and spend the savings on upgrading something on the MUX  ;)

Something else to consider, if they all cost the same to buy, do they all cost the same to service?
MU-X LS-T MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Snorkel | Isuzu Tow Bar | ARB Deluxe Combo Bar | Geolander A/T G015 255/65R17 | "Be the change you want to see."

Offline BrisVegas

• LS-T Member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »
Not sure how long we'll keep it.  5 years minimum, as it's a lease. 
She's got her heart set on the colour.  That's more important to her than the drivetrain!
Now that I've seen the price difference between a 2016 and 2017 plate, I'm happy with the discount for the 2016.  The 2017 is a bridge too far price wise, but the 2016 gets us into a nicer vehicle for the same price as the (unavailable for months) entry level.
2015 MU-X LS-U | TJM Bullbar & steps | TJM Torq winch | XGS 4000 | MickeyT ATZ P3 | ECUSHOP UltraBoost | Redarc SBI | TJM dual batt | XRay 220 HID | HR Towbar | Redarc TowPro | Airtec snorkel | 8" GPS | ARB 112  tank | MSA seatcovers | Sandgrabbas | Rhino Pioneer | 42" LED bar | Supapeg awnin

Offline xsm

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2017, 09:45:20 PM »
5 years minimum, as it's a lease. 
She's got her heart set on the colour.  That's more important to her than the drivetrain!

I would say it seems like you should grab that bargain.

The difference in resale between a 2016 and 2017 plate in 5+ years will be negligible. Condition and mileage will be bigger factors. The 2 litre AWD will be more sought after and should get you more than your $1500 back at resale time.

BMux has summed it up perfectly :)

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers
Martin

Offline voids

« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2017, 08:31:35 PM »
koreans make some brilliant cars these days that mix with some of the most well made cars out there.  I have owned a new Hyundai and now own a new KIA, Obviously not the type of car you are looking at but great customer service and best warranty of any vehicle sold in Australia.   Cant comment on the ford but they are usually european made for european conditions so do your research carefully. 
2015 Black MUX LS-T
2017 kia Cerato
1996 Ford LTD
2018 Suzuki DR-650

Offline xsm

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2017, 08:58:50 PM »
koreans make some brilliant cars these days that mix with some of the most well made cars out there.  I have owned a new Hyundai and now own a new KIA, Obviously not the type of car you are looking at but great customer service and best warranty of any vehicle sold in Australia.   Cant comment on the ford but they are usually european made for european conditions so do your research carefully.

I think you're right voids. When you look back to the Excel and the Mentor, and compare them with the current offerings, Hyundai and Kia really have come a long way.

One thing that always sticks in my mind though, is the way Kia left all those owners of early model Carnivals high and dry as their engines imploded at around the 100,000km mark. There was clearly a fault with those engines that Kia took no responsibility for.  Their cars may be better now but there is nothing to suggest that in the same circumstances things would be any different. In comparison, Nissan came to the party with the early 3.0 litre diesel failings well after the warranties had expired. Kia aren't alone by any means but the huge number of catastrophic failures in percentage terms hasn't been matched.

Cheers
Martin

Offline BrisVegas

• LS-T Member
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2017, 09:24:56 PM »
Ford did a similar thing with the Powershift transmissions in previous model Focus and Kuga.  Class actions underway apparently.  Ford have ditched them and gone back to normal transmissions now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal