Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Quick trip tents  (Read 2786 times)

Offline konazz

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Quick trip tents
« on: Jun 06, 2017, 10:39:59 PM »
So everyone in my group has swags. I find them a pain in the ass, as I always have to put them on my roof if people are travelling in my car.

I honestly don't get it, when it comes to swags (especially the ones without hoops, that sit on your face).

I'm looking for quick options as my hearty EPE Speedy Tent Sahara (Canvas) is starting to die, after 100+ nights of use. But if nothing is suitable, I'll just get the new version of it, as the poly-canvas is really good and keeps water out + warmth in, yet easily vents during summer.

My entire set up takes me a little under 90 seconds on a clear night (so no pegs)
- throw out drop sheet (no pegs) about 15 seconds
- open speedy tent, throw it out and rotate to the right direction - 10 seconds (not 2 seconds as advertised)
- walk to car and get blackwolf 10cm self inflator. Take it out, open valves, chuck it in the tent (30 seconds)
- walk back to car, grab duffle bag, and chuck it in the tent as well, adds to weight (30 seconds).

That's it. Its about 3-5 minutes extra if its going to rain, as I put out my awning + extensions (although hopefully i'll have a 30 second awning soon :), then spend some time putting 4 pegs in + 4 guy rope pegs.

I've sat in there, watching my laptop during crappy weather days while travelling around Aus, wife + myself + dog can fit in a pinch, folds down really small (in my other group of 4WD'ers, we had 4 of them, all on my roof in my bag + 4 self inflators + 4 ground sheets + jackets, pillows, sleeping bags on the roof - good luck with 4 swags in the same spot). I can easily change in my Speedy tent, sit up and read, and generally relax and not feel claustrophobic.

I'm considering something a bit bigger now, as I like sleeping on my Oztrail stretcher + self inflator, so a Blackwolf 240 Plus, but thats a solid 10 mins of set up. What else should I consider for a quick set up, that can comfortably fit 1 King Goanna and 1 Goanna Stretcher + the odd dog. My disabled brother is claustrophobic and can't sleep in my Speedy Tent (damaged it during a panic attack last trip)
My options have been
- Oztrail RV5 but worried about the slope means someone's going to be up against the back wall. Also, the stetchers will be across the tent, so hard for other person to get out
-  Blackwolf 240 Plus - extra bit of room, but set up penalty
- Rhino Basecamp - not sure about this one, and my king stretcher 'Just' fits. Not much room between the two stretchers
- Oztrail RV5 Tag Along, its a bit smaller than the normal RV5, so a bit tight. would integrate well with a Foxwing though.
- Touring style tent with extension from Anaconda + side pole kit for multi nights. Missed out on an awesome deal from Rays when they shut down :(

What else should I look at for 4WD overnighters (not taking a camper, although I love our queen inner spring bed!) with my brother that's quick to set up and take down, but provides enough space to reduce claustrophobia
White LS-U: OEM Nudge Bar, 23" Lightbar, GME TX3350, Tradesman Rack, 16" DMAX Rims A/T tyres, 1" TJM lift kit, OEM towbar, Canvas seat covers, Drifta drawers and fridge slide, Engel Eclipse, Redarc BC-DC 1220, Optima D34, Baintech monitor

Offline Freddie

Re: Quick trip tents
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2017, 05:12:36 AM »
Think you mean an Oztent RV5, not an Oztrail.  Two very different companies with very different qualities.

Any of the Oztents are quick and easy to set up, just depends what size you want.  Can be a bit hard to get back in their bags unless folded correctly.  Drifta make a slightly larger canvas bag for the RV5.

Offline konazz

• LS-U Member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2017, 08:07:38 AM »
Yeah sorry oztent
White LS-U: OEM Nudge Bar, 23" Lightbar, GME TX3350, Tradesman Rack, 16" DMAX Rims A/T tyres, 1" TJM lift kit, OEM towbar, Canvas seat covers, Drifta drawers and fridge slide, Engel Eclipse, Redarc BC-DC 1220, Optima D34, Baintech monitor

Offline knoath

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2017, 08:32:42 AM »
I had a search of the Speedy tent, not a fan personally, but I see what you mean about the pack up size!
We have an OzTent RV5, we throw a queen size self inflater on the floor, have slept like this for almost a week no probs. (It will accomodate two stretchers, one either side with room to move in the centre.)
We sleep with our heads to the 'door', there's never been any worry about someone 'sleeping at the sloped end' and last trip was Me, Wife and Staffy with plenty of room for our bags. My wife prefers the ability to stand up for changing etc, but if we're traveling light, she'll use the swag.
If the kids come, one will sleep in the front room created by adding the side panels and front panel, in his single swag or sleeping bag on a stretcher, the older one sleeps in his double swag.
So versatile... just us, the RV only.
All of us... the Taj Mahal, but it's usually at Xmas or on holiday so we are staying put for a few days at least.
We also have a double Darche swag we can take... we used this at Red Bluff on the VIC/SA Border Track, the missus loved the star gazing!
If you have to put swags on the roof when you have people in your car, get them to put them up there! :laughing7:
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »
We have used everything over the years...

Large family tents, swags, 30 second (oztent style) tent, soft floor camper with a couple of different style tents and a roof top tent.

For quick trips where you need some space (wife likes the ease of getting changed) the 30 second tent works well. It still requires a roof rack as it is over 2 mtrs long when packed up and it still requires the handling of a mattress of sorts.
It doesn't require pegs on a calm night and when it does require pegs there are only 4 for the tent corners, 4 for the guys if you use them and 2 more if your using the attached awning in windy weather.

I find the 4wd mattress the worse to pack up than the tent. The tent is literally only a minute or so from car to sleeping in it.

But when it comes to very fast and simple a good old swag probably wins (one with hoops) and these days you can buy a reasonable double swag for $200!! But as you have already said they come with limitations.

I have never owned one but those touring tents with the square frame that pushes up into the roof would also be as equally easy as a 30 second tent I would imagine.

"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline BMux

• XRunner Member
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
We have an OzTent RV

Nice! Might have to look into one of those.
MU-X LS-T MY15 | Bonnet Protector | Isuzu Snorkel | Isuzu Tow Bar | ARB Deluxe Combo Bar | Geolander A/T G015 255/65R17 | "Be the change you want to see."

Offline oddsmux

• LS-M Member
« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »
A Kodiak canvas tent may be the go. See

http://www.longwayleisure.com.au/products/flex-bow-canvas-tents

The main advantage is no guy rope to put out unless you setup the awning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline knoath

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2017, 08:18:26 AM »
Our full set up:

Just us and the dog:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline konazz

• LS-U Member
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
I need to really test out whether two stretchers will comfortably fit in an RV5.

Those Kodiak ones look good, as there's a door on either side for stretchers.

I'm seriously just considering a centre pole touring tent. Anything more than 2 nights = Camper trailer.

For solo missions, I can still use my EPE speedy tent (they are actually pretty cool, and ALOT better quality than the rubbish instant tents out there).
Untitled by Michael, on Flickr

Offline MuxGuys

• LS-T Member
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »
We had an RV5 and loved it...the Fly is the best addition to the OzTent. Saves on the heat and more importantly the condensation coming through.

We sold ours as it wasn't pleasant to put onto the roof racks of our then lifted 4WD and my wife wasn't able to assist as she is a short ar$e  :tongue1:

We have a Queen Kwik Cot that we used in the OzTent but were also concerned about floor damage so cut pieces of rubber for under the feet of the cot.....then it all started to add up in time and space.

By the time we had the OzTent off the roof, out of its bag and erected, Kwik Cot out of bag and erected, 2x self inflating mats out of bags inflated, then make the bed.....it all took about 25 mins.

Our Southern cross Swag takes 3 minutes with us both erecting it.    Naturally you don't have the benefit of standing space or sleeping of the ground.

:occasion14:

Offline 2010banditsa

• SX Member
  • Its 12 o'clock somewhere
« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »
Black Wolf turbo tent lite plus works for me when i am not in the van

Offline DB74

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2017, 07:58:04 PM »
We have the Blackwolf Turbo 300. Love it, but it is big and bulky, weighs about 25kg, and is 1500mm long so just fits in the back of the truck.   Now our young bloke doesn't come camping anymore we may buy the 240.
Ours takes a couple of minutes to put up, but if you go the fly and awning takes about 10min.  For overnighters and a good forecast the basic tent is up quickly.  If the weather turns crap there is room to fit a couple of camp chairs inside if need be.  Takes a bit longer to pack away but the tent bag is a good size and fits easy. We find the time consuming thing is the bedding (mattresses, sleeping bags and stretchers).
At Jim Jim Falls Kakadu last year it was very windy, and a willy willy went through the campsite. Our tent was the only one left standing when we returned to our campsite after our day trip. They are very sturdy and you can rest at night knowing the thing will be up to it in inclement weather.
Expensive to buy, but they do hold their value. We've spent around 120 nights in ours in NT, Qld, SA and Victoria.
08/12 Dmax, enough ARB stuff on it to buy the Franchisee a villa in Bali, Airtech snorkel, bush pinstripping, Dueler 697's. Now 50,000km

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal