Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Rust protection.  (Read 10695 times)

Offline Mud_x

• SX Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Rust protection.
« on: Apr 29, 2015, 07:30:41 PM »
Chemical or Electronic, or both. What band of chemical application if driving on sand would have to dry hard. If electronic Couplertec or ERIP?

Offline ironcobra

• LS-U Member
  • Because I'm Batman...
Re: Rust protection.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2015, 09:14:29 PM »
I'm very interested in this thread. I'm going to be doing some rust preventative this winter...
See you out on the tracks!

2014 Fjord Blue MU-X LS-U | Rhino Rack Platform.

Offline Sputnik

• LS-M Member
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2015, 12:12:23 AM »
This may be of interest. Note the difference between the "Civilian" version and the "Mine Spec" version.

http://www.couplertec.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=200014&vmcchk=1&Itemid=200014

However there are some vehicles that carry on regardless, with no special attention at all:

http://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/isuzu-trooper-travels-20-times-around-the-globe.htm

Offline BinaryMan

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • binaryman@ozisuzu.com.au
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2015, 04:52:01 AM »
Hi Mud,

I have had only experienced with electronic rust protection (ERP).   'back in '99 a group of us at work bulk buy an electronic protection "thingy", it came with 6 x coupler pads.  I had to "scrub off" the paint down to metal where the coupler pad is attached (a forrester: bonnet, engine bay, 4x doors).  I didn't think much of it at the time whether it really works.

We got rid of the forrester last year after 15 years of service.  It had dings, chips and scratches but no rust whatsoever!  Now this is not an endorsement of ERP's but just sharing my experience in having one in the car.

With the D-Max, I had the CouplerTec installed (I couldn't track down the original ERP we bought in '99) and it came with 4x coupler pads.  There was no need to "scrub off" the paint down to metal where the pads were attached.  And apparently, only needed 4 x pads (the model lower only had 2!) and it will protect the whole car.  I did ask what about the tub (I haven't got around checking whether the tub has a solid earth to the body), the guy said the 4 couplers would take care of the whole lot?

My brother-in-law had "factory" ERP installed in his triton and I noticed a ding on the side of his tub and it is rusting!  GrantM had a ding on his door and the paint flaked off!  So looks like it's a totally different production techniques (minimum passable?) they have now.  'might be that the older cars have paint "epoxied" to the shell and it contributes to the "rust proofing" in the past.

Now there's a lot of discussion whether ERP's does work or not and I'm not going to endorse it either just because I have one.  I reckon the product can only prove itself after years on the road.

Anyway, fingers crossed, hopefully the one I have on the D-Max really does work  ;)

Cheers!
Carpe Diem... Memento mori!

Offline rhynoceros

• LS-T Member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2015, 05:39:21 AM »
some good discussion on rust proofing here http://www.ozisuzu.com.au/index.php/topic,207.0.html
2014 MU-X LST | Snorkel | Towbar | HPD Catch Can | Bridgestone D697LT 265/70R16

Offline BinaryMan

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • binaryman@ozisuzu.com.au
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2015, 09:58:11 AM »
some good discussion on rust proofing here http://www.ozisuzu.com.au/index.php/topic,207.0.html

Calling admins,... shouldn't as above be better under this Board topic "Exterior & Accessories All Models" ?

Cheers!
Carpe Diem... Memento mori!

Offline ironcobra

• LS-U Member
  • Because I'm Batman...
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 05:32:02 PM »
So I emailed 'Rust Free Rustproofing' here in SEQ for some quotes to get Muxy all fitted out ongoing beach use.

To my delight I received a fairly comprehensive reply the next day.

I won't cut and paste the whole email, just a few of paragraphs. Can anyone tell me their thoughts regarding his prices/products? The packages seems to be the way to go!?

Thanks in advance.

Typically would require some steam cleaning to achieve a clean dry surface for our products to adhere to. This cost is $50 per half hour and typically most vehicle would be clean in 30 minutes.

A full conventional Rust Proofing Spray, including Underbody, top side panels, and engine bay is $699.00. This gives barrier type corrosion protection to the window line of your vehicle.

A conventional Under Body Spray includes rust proofing, sound deadening service comes to $459.00. This service we spray all the underside of the vehicle with our rust proofing/sound deadening paint and also inside the chassis rails with our cavity wax.

We sell and install electronic corrosion control using the COUPLERTEC brand. This is manufactured here in QLD. A Standard 4wd unit for your type of vehicle is $729.00 installed. A Heavy Duty Unit is $829.00 installed. The extreme heavy duty unit 6 pad retails at $999.00 installed. This includes a 10year anti corrosion warrantee, from the date of vehicle manufacture. Warrantee is provided by COUPLERTEC and requires an annual inspection to keep warrantee up to date.

When choosing between an Extreme, heavy duty and a standard unit, you need to consider your vehicle application. A standard unit is recommended for occasional beach driving and the Heavy Duty for regular beach driving and the extreme for very regular beach work.

If you will be regularly beach or off road driving we recommend a package which includes underbody barrier spray, (protection against, stone chipping, sound proofing, corrosion)and electronic corrosion control. The Standard 4WD unit with underbody spray is $1099.00, (10 year anti corrosion warrantee). The Heavy Duty unit with underbody spray package is $1199.00, and the Extreme Heavy Duty unit with underbody spray package is $1399.00.

DmaxDave

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 05:56:04 PM »
Is there a charge for the annual inspection?

Dave

Offline rhynoceros

• LS-T Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 06:27:53 PM »
A modern vehicle shouldn't rust within 10 years if properly cared for.
Electronic rust protection on vehicles  is such a load of CENSORED, may as well install a hi-clone while your at it  :BangHead: been there wasted my money on it when i was younger.
2014 MU-X LST | Snorkel | Towbar | HPD Catch Can | Bridgestone D697LT 265/70R16

Offline Parko96

• XRunner Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 11:21:04 PM »
I agree with Rhyno in regards to electronic rust protection. I looked into this extensively and couldn't find one independent research document that backed up or even explained what these companies say their units achieve. On the other hand there are heaps of independent research docs that describe these units as rubbish - the sale of some units has even been banned in some countries under consumer law.
On the other hand I have read good things about rust proofing sprays and chassis waxes. I would defiantly invest in this type of protection and maintenance.
What do they do at the annual inspection? If the product works that well then there shouldn't be any rust or are they just checking the electrical connections?
Good luck either way Ironcobra!

The following users thanked this post: muxr

Offline ironcobra

• LS-U Member
  • Because I'm Batman...
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 10:57:44 AM »
Is there a charge for the annual inspection?

Dave
I asked them about this and this is his reply...
to get the best result we like to see your vehicle once a year for inspection and touch up sprays. We charge $88 and send out an email reminder.

DmaxDave

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »
Ouch, so another $880 (10 years warranty by $88 per year inspection fee).  Plus time and travel to get to the yearly inspection.  Makes it an expensive exercise.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal