Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: A Relaxing of some rules....  (Read 4333 times)

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
A Relaxing of some rules....
« on: Jul 21, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
We are always trying to improve the way we run things so considering some recent feedback and suggestions I have decided to relax a couple of rules.

Both rules are in regards to Off Topic and Using the search function.

We have been quite strict on both these in the past but after some consideration we are going to allow the forum to 'flourish' a little more by relaxing them somewhat.

I guess if we are too tight on people being able to start a topic or ask a question thats already been discussed then the forum will eventually come to a stand still. So while we still encourage people to use the search function if they desire it is not compulsory.
What we will do is allow duplicate threads to run for a while and if they are genuinely duplicated then we will merge them at some stage and politely advise the topic starters. But we will allow them to run their course because on many occasions they do end up taking their own direction and both threads will have relevant information.

Secondly, going off topic. Again we have been pretty strict on this but it is very easy to do. I am guilty of it myself at times. Its what happens when your having discussions. At times you wander off topic a bit.
So from now on we will relax the off topic rule. We wont allow one topic to run completely off course and over run the original but some off topic banter is ok.
In most instances the people going off topic generally self regulate and get things back to where they were anyway.

Thanks for the feedback from those that have made suggestions and please keep it coming. Feel free to PM me with any concerns if you are not comfortable doing it publicly.

I am open to other rule changes or suggestions. I am not wanting to reinvent the wheel here but just trying make new and existing people comfortable in using the forum with out feeling like they are doing something wrong.
I still want the forum to be family friendly and civil and somewhat organised though  :laughing7:
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline Taza

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Re: A Relaxing of some rules....
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »
Thats great news for everyone thanks team for your decission. This will definately benefit every one here

Taza
2015 MU-X LST Outback bronze | Rear Bumper Garnish | Stainless Steel Scuff Plates | TJM T13 Colour Coded Bullbar | TJM Airtek Snorkel | 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Hi-Flow Cat | ECU Re-map | Ceramic Pro 9H Paint Protection | Windows Tinted

Offline Parko96

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »

This will definately benefit every one here

Taza

We'll see.

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2016, 07:26:25 PM »
 :laughing7: Definitely either ends of the spectrum with that feedback gents.

It is only a 'relaxing' of those two rules. We still wont tolerate people dribbling absolute rubbish that has no relevance to a thread but we wont be too fast to jump on people for getting side tracked briefly within a topic if thats where the conversation has taken them.

And likewise we certainly wont be telling every person that asks a repeat question that they should use the search function before asking questions. Yes the search function is there for those that are research minded but when an average joe blow signs up and asks a question and then gets told that they should have used the search function instead of asking the question, then they disappear and and dont participate again, then I have an issue with that.
Its always been important to me that people feel comfortable participating.

In a lot of cases with a vehicle forum such as this one, its members are not always internet/forum savvy and as a rule will quite easily not stick to a perceived etiquette. Ive been that person in the past. Ive had people jump on me for doing something wrong when I had no idea I was doing it. Its not nice to be apprehensive about joining in on something and then have your first experience turn out to be a bad one.

Any how. Just like some new members may make mistakes, so might I in the way I want these forums to run. Im sure Ill miss things and Im sure there are cases where I could be doing things better. The important thing is that it all remains family friendly without being over the top and everyone feels comfortable having a go at participating.

:occasion14:

"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal