Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: OzTent set ups  (Read 11514 times)

Offline knoath

OzTent set ups
« on: Jul 15, 2016, 06:56:07 AM »
Considering getting an OzTent RV5 for quick set ups and pack downs so we can be more mobile on long trips...
If you have an OzTent I'd love to see how you set up camp... can it be attatched to a sail track (vehicle side awning)?
Post your pics!

Cheers.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!" Peter Brock

Offline Redmax

• SX Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
Re: OzTent set ups
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »
Why not just get swags? We have a blackwolf turbo 300 plus. Looked at the oztent but didnt like the lack of head room. Good for how quick they are to set up but if thats all you want then swag it. Also the blackwolf will fit in the tub whereas the oztent only on the roof. Check out tentworld.com with whatever you go with.

Offline knoath

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2016, 10:16:35 AM »
Redmax, we have swags, the missus wants a room for changing etc. and yeah, the cons are the size and storage, but the BlackWolf weighs twice as much... I have a roof rack so I can store the OzTent.

Offline monbeg

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2016, 10:28:54 AM »
Why not just get swags? We have a blackwolf turbo 300 plus. Looked at the oztent but didnt like the lack of head room...

Same here, headroom, went with the Blackwolf Turbo 240.

This was my setup in the Flinders for a week last May (the view was pretty good too).

Offline MuxGuys

• LS-T Member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2016, 11:12:40 AM »
We had an RV5 and it was brilliant....sold it (for more than I paid  :laughing7:) as it was not being used as the kids grew up and lost interest in camping.

If we where to revisit a touring tent again it would be an Oztent based on our experience....perhaps just an RV3 for the 2 of us though  :icon_salut:

You can use the RV connector to attach to your awning or side of caravan via the sail track.....

Most essential accessory for the OzTent is the OzTent fly for your sized tent....condensation can be a real issue to the Oztent. The fly fixes this and protects the tent from bird droppings etc and provides some insulation to the sun and keeps the inside of the tent much cooler in summer.

Cost and stored length are soon forgotten when its set up.....30 seconds is correct to stand the tent but to add the fly, a few pegs and the awning will take 5 mins at most  ;)

:occasion14:

Offline knoath

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2016, 02:53:50 PM »
All good points. We have an ensuite toilet/shower tent... :icon_thumleft:
Monbeg, the point of this thread was that we won't be staying put for a week. I'd keep the Camper Trailer for that, so we want quick set up/pack down ideas.

Offline BrisVegas

• LS-T Member
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2016, 07:18:17 PM »
We've got a camper trailer and also a good touring tent (Oztrail Tourer Twin).  We looked at the Oztents and I really wanted to get one, but like any tent, the actual put up/pull down time is only a small fraction of the time it takes to make camp.  We've just done 3 weeks of touring with lots of one night stays using our tent and I don't believe an Oztent would have saved us any significant time.  Every night, I'd have the tent setup in a couple of minutes, but then it was the 4 x sleeping mats, 4 x sleeping bags, 4 x pillows and clothing bags and tent lighting etc etc..

If you really want a quick setup/packup then you can't beat a swag.  Take it off the roof an unroll it and you're done.  The mattress, sleeping bag and pillow are already in it.  To glamp it up, you could use a groundsheet and an awning.
2015 MU-X LS-U | TJM Bullbar & steps | TJM Torq winch | XGS 4000 | MickeyT ATZ P3 | ECUSHOP UltraBoost | Redarc SBI | TJM dual batt | XRay 220 HID | HR Towbar | Redarc TowPro | Airtec snorkel | 8" GPS | ARB 112  tank | MSA seatcovers | Sandgrabbas | Rhino Pioneer | 42" LED bar | Supapeg awnin

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2016, 07:52:15 PM »
This old chestnut hey  :laughing7: I just discussed this on another forum totally unrelated to car camping oddly enough.

Over the years we have gone from cheap tent camping, to swags, back to tents, to camper trailer, to 30 second tent and then to a combination of swag, 30 second tent and camper trailer.

So now this is how it works for me.

Just me on an overnighter or trip like the simpson.....swag.

Me and the wife on an overnighter or trip where we will set up camp every night but its a short trip......30 second tent.

Me and the wife and child/ren......overnight we may use the 30 second tent any longer then its the camper.

I like to keep it simple but in my case the females like a few luxuries, and that may be anything from a toilet......a room to change....a better mattress and even a diesel heater or whatever else it takes to keep them happy ;)

But just to comment on the 30 second style tents. (ours is a cheap Chinese copy that gets used very regularly by either us or our adult kids).
I love it. It is very quick to set up obviously, hence the name. Yes it requires a mattress but you can use a foam mattress if your not willing to unpack and pack away a '4wd' style self inflator (i admit ours is a bit of a pain to pack away).
Yes it can be inserted into your awning if your awning has a sail track outer edge or you can use the awning that comes with most of them. They are a bit long so they need to go on the roof rack if you need your back seats and yes they require a mattress of some sort. Ours fits our double mattress plus a single for when the youngest comes along so it is sleeping only and a small amount of room to keep clothes and get changed.

I guess it comes down to what your wife will be happy/comfortable using. Swags are great but they do fall short in some areas for ladies over a few days imho. Depending on the lady of course!  :tongue1:

All the comforts...suits everyone in all conditions

Our all rounder but clearly doesn't come with the comforts as easy as the camper does

And of course a blokes favourite....quick and easy to set up and pack up but your still required to set up all the other gear if needed.

PS, Id happily go back to any of these occasions rather than sitting here typing this out .......In fact I may go away one night this weekend...  :icon_thumleft:
"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline monbeg

• LS-T Member
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2016, 08:57:40 PM »
My quick setup is in the vehicle.
With the middle seats folded forward a 70 litre esky sits behind the drivers side and is flush with the top of the drawers. A single 4" mattress along the top of both and the pillow behind the drivers seat and we have a perfect rest for 1.

Offline knoath

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2016, 06:28:39 AM »
So as I suspected, we are all different (and so are our wives!) and so we have different ways of approaching this... found this on the web and I think we'll copy it!

So I'm thinking we remove the camper's tent and add a decent roof rack. That will give us a great platform to add jerry cans and bikes, the boy's swags etc. and we get to retain all the good bits of the camper trailer without the time consuming set up and pack down!
The missus hates the set up and pack down of the camper's tent and as a result, begrudges getting out and using it. This set up seems to tick all the boxes I think...

Offline Redmax

• SX Member
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2016, 07:10:37 AM »
Thats an awesome idea. Keep us posted how it goes, you might start a trend

Offline Stevo51

• LS-U Member
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »
Hey Danny how the hell do you do an overnight ear in the Simpson from Tassie..
2017 LSU , TWIN CAB , CVS CANOPY,  REV CAMERA, UNIDEN RADIO, IMS BAR, 20inch LIGHT BAR,KINGS DRAWERS AND SIDES BOXED IN, HAVE JUST HAD GVM UPGRADE WITH HELP FROM PAKENHAM ISUZU DONE BY PEDDERS PAKENHAM.

Offline DannyG

• Administrator
  • XRunner Member
    • DannyG.com
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
Hey Danny how the hell do you do an overnight ear in the Simpson from Tassie..

LOL You dont!

But luckily down here we have plenty of nice locations for an overnighter, just a bit chilly this time of year, although today is one of those perfect winter days.

Dick we had a tent on our camper that while it was great for when all the kids were with us, it did start to bother my wife after a while setting it up and packing it up. Personally i didn't think it took to much trouble but I could see her pain so we downsized to a gas strutted tent and haven't looked back.

Its not a very big tent but one person can easily set it up. If you want to use the awning it is only 3 poles. So we get to retain all the comforts of the camper and have a super fast set up and pack up.
It takes longer to through the chairs and junk back into the trailer than it does to set the tent up.

What we sold our larger tent for all but covered the cost of the new tent.

"People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"

Offline Parko96

• XRunner Member
« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2016, 02:13:19 PM »
 Hi Knoath,
Sorry to chime in late.
We have an RV5 and love it.  Like you we also have the swags and camper trailer.
It sounds like our other halves have similar requirements and expectations. The only issue with the Oztent is you still need to set up a bed from scratch each night and this is the time consuming bit not the tent erection. However this is easily fixed with a simple flat old style swag (like in the photo below). Have the bed ready to go (including pillows, etc) and just unroll it in the RV5 and your done. It offers the best of both worlds in my opinion, speed and ease of the swag & change area for the wife. Plus a better nights sleep on a mattress as opposed to a lilo or similar.

Offline Snag75

• SX Member
« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
For overnight we use a similar set up to Parko with a RV5.
We place the kids on a camp stretchers in sleeping bags either side, swag for misses and I in the middle. The great thing about the camp stretchers for the kids is we store our luggage bags underneath them - doubles up on the space.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal