General Boards > Off Topic

Two stroke oil in diesel engines

(1/3) > >>

DmaxDave:
Found this interesting article on another forum

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-technical-study.php

Basically it concludes:

The results of the study support a view that the practice of dosing diesel with 2-stroke oil is surprisingly ineffective in terms of lubricity and cetane improvements. Engine performance, fuel consumption and emissions were also unchanged; however the use of 2-stroke oil in diesel is potentially harmful to modern diesel injection equipment. Trace amounts of zinc, an element which is found in most 2-stroke oils, are well known to cause injector nozzle fouling and the study measured high levels of injector fouling when the test engine was running on diesel dosed with 2-stroke oil. While the oil industry may not mind the additional revenue from the sale of 2-stroke oil with each tank of diesel, this study demonstrated that it is not in the best interest of the user to do so.

Dave

Richie rich:
Good read Dave..I use 200ml per tank when I remember to do it...it does make the injectors quieter,but i might stop using it I think.

Bob:
It might have worked in the older motors but I was always to worried to use it even in the 2004 Patrol 3L.

This just confirms that I made the right decision.

DannyG:
When I used to use it in the old 4.2TD Patrol it certainly made the old mechanical pump a lot quieter, as for any other benefits I have no idea.

macka17:
These modern fuels are light on in Ash and not good for injectors.
Too "dry".
these modern pumps/injectors, Just run an injector cleaner through once a month.
and engine flush around every 20k.

As long as you use the basic. cheap 2 str not Synth or Marine.

Just check on the number of modern injectors in service dep,tments rubbish boxes and ask yourself why.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version