Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Our OzIsuzu Forums Merchandise  help keep our forum going! :icon_thumleft:

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: rust proofing  (Read 23019 times)

Offline dogsbreakfast

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Re: rust proofing
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2015, 09:44:57 PM »
Each to their own, I clean my vehicle well when I return form the Beach or any off road trip, but the ERPS I believe gives that extra protection I case any is missed or you are out of time and have to go back to work and cannot clean the truck until the next weekend

True and at the end of the day it cant hurt the vehicle and if it gives peace of mind then all good!
2014 MU-X Fjord blue, TJM T13 bullbar, Runva Winch, 20" lightbar, Custom Bilstein shocks with Dobinson Springs, Hankook 265/70 r17.

Offline OldMucks

• LS-T Member
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2015, 08:34:27 AM »
If you want to know what works give the 4WD hire people a ring and find out what they use - they used to use 50/50 red oxide fisholene, but I haven't seen that in a long time.
If you read the warranty on the electronic ones you will find they don't cover you if you go on the beach or anything else they consider extreme. Not on a boat it probably won't work.
Still feel the urge to wast $600 - $800 give it to me.

Offline gimp4930

• LS-U Member
  • 2015 MU X 4X2 LSU, Splash white. bought to tow van
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »
another lanotec fan here

Offline voids

« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2015, 10:13:10 AM »
I'm also another believer that Electronic rust proofing is the go, wont stop rust but significantly slow down the process. But you still have to maintain and wash your vehicle after beach runs. Lanolin and fish oil just attract sand and dirt.

So far 8 years in my patrol, lots of beach driving and off road, no rust. 
2015 Black MUX LS-T
2017 kia Cerato
1996 Ford LTD
2018 Suzuki DR-650

Offline Magilla

• LS-T Member
« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
An electromagnetic oxidation retardation device is the only way to go. Just send me $1000 and I will post one out to you with a lifetime 100% money back guarantee, minus the $980 shipping charge.

Offline MarkDaSpark

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • MY15 LS-U D-Max CrewCab
« Reply #20 on: Aug 10, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »
Electronic Rust Proof Protection is a good idea.......and to be honest all the negative comments here and links to videos and websites claiming they don't work all refer to cathodic protection.......with reference to sacrificial anodes etc.

This type of electronic protection won't work for all the reasons mentioned in the videos or web links.

I like the couplertec system and I personally will be forking out for a couplertec system for my Dmax.

The good old spray protection works as well.....so its 'horses for courses' really.

Now I don't want to upset anyone on here.......BUT.......saying that "if it worked the manufacturer would put it on from new" doesn't really help the OP.......well that could be said for every simple modification that our members have described in other posts......Why put a 2inch lift kit in??.....if it was better to raise it by 2inches then surely the manufacturer would sell it like that??

As with everything not everyone will agree with everything.......but we should be comparing like for like.

Just my 2 cents worth  :icon_thumleft:
2015 LS-U D-Max | Auto | White | TowBar | Alloy Sports Bars | Loopless Tonneau Cover | Rhino Lining | Bonnet & Headlight Protectors

Offline Parko96

• XRunner Member
« Reply #21 on: Aug 10, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »
Advocates for ERP feel free to post links to 'independent' scientific studies that back up the retailers claims here

Offline MarkDaSpark

• LS-U Member
« Reply #22 on: Aug 10, 2015, 07:04:20 PM »
Advocates for ERP feel free to post links to 'independent' scientific studies that back up the retailers claims here

I hear you mate......but......can you share a link from an independent scientific study to say the capacitive ERP system doesn't work??

All the other links on here were for a cathodic protection....a different type of ERP system.

My 80 series cruiser was all internally sprayed with Tectyl.......I still had rust appear around the 3rd row windows and the tailgate........Both of which were well coated on the inside with tectyl but both rusted right through......this doesnt mean that Tectyl is no good and doesn't work?

All these products....both ERP and spray on products help protect and slow the inevitable......Neither product alone will totally eliminate all rust......especially if your vehicle spends a lot of time on the beach.

I do agree that some ERP manufacturers will lead you to believe that they are the be all and end all of rust prevention......but every manufacturer states their product is 'the best'.

I guess what I'm trying to say - to cut to the chase - is that both methods have their place in HELPING reduce the effects of rust......But neither method alone will Prevent rust altogether.

2015 LS-U D-Max | Auto | White | TowBar | Alloy Sports Bars | Loopless Tonneau Cover | Rhino Lining | Bonnet & Headlight Protectors

Offline rhynoceros

• LS-T Member
« Reply #23 on: Aug 10, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »

Now I don't want to upset anyone on here.......BUT.......saying that "if it worked the manufacturer would put it on from new" doesn't really help the OP.......well that could be said for every simple modification that our members have described in other posts......Why put a 2inch lift kit in??.....if it was better to raise it by 2inches then surely the manufacturer would sell it like that??

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but comparing a lift or 4wd mod to a contentious device like an ERPS is just wrong for so many reasons.

Lifts aren't legal in some markets and not everyone wants a 4wd with a diff lock or one so high they can't get the kids into. Lifting also effects all modern vehicles Safety and they all want the 5 stars.

Some manufactures e.g. Jeep/Landrover offer adjustable suspension, discounting sway bars, Diff locks, crawler gears, bigger diffs and all the good guts but none offer a ERPS system.

Everyone wants a car that doesn't rust, so manufactures zinc electroplate the things. If electronic rust systems worked they would be on from factory as its a differentiating factor from brands. Heck they would be cheap as for them to slap on with economies of scale.

Just make sure you keep your paint pristine otherwise the 10 year warranty (on new vehicles only) is void.

2014 MU-X LST | Snorkel | Towbar | HPD Catch Can | Bridgestone D697LT 265/70R16

Offline rhynoceros

• LS-T Member
« Reply #24 on: Aug 10, 2015, 07:45:11 PM »
Oh and the ERPS system when i had it installed was a cathodic system, but thats now a dirty word so they only sell capacitive coupling models...until that becomes a ditry word.
2014 MU-X LST | Snorkel | Towbar | HPD Catch Can | Bridgestone D697LT 265/70R16

Offline MarkDaSpark

• LS-U Member
« Reply #25 on: Aug 10, 2015, 08:12:13 PM »
Oh and the ERPS system when i had it installed was a cathodic system, but thats now a dirty word so they only sell capacitive coupling models...until that becomes a ditry word.

For cathodic protection to work effectively you need to have sacrificial anodes installed.....basically the anodes corrode and need to be replaced to protect your vehicle.

True cathodic protection does work when used correctly.

oh and yes i agree comparing a lift to ERP was probably not the best comparison to have made   :laughing7:

Offline OldMucks

• LS-T Member
« Reply #26 on: Aug 11, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »

DmaxDave

Offline fourplay26

• LS-U Member
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »
Thst's only one Brand & the only one to buy is ERPS

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

Offline Parko96

• XRunner Member
rust proofing
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2015, 09:39:43 PM »
I told you

https://www.finance.nsw.gov.au/about-us/media-releases/no-rust-bust-warning-re-car-rust-reduction-devices

Dave

Haha classic! I have one of those exact units in my MUX. Unknown to me it came as part of the lease package. I wonder if I can reclaim some coin.

Always knew it was rubbish. The only thing that works in this unit is the little red LED, oh so pretty!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal