Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: OzIsuzu Forums... your friendly :hello: place to chat about all things Isuzu.

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: Is anyone running a Dashcam ? if yes, how's it go ?  (Read 10891 times)

Offline lurkr

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: MUX
  • MY2015 MUX LS-T
Is anyone running a Dashcam ? if yes, how's it go ?
« on: May 03, 2016, 06:05:09 PM »
I'm about to invest in a dash-cam as some extra insurance now that I'm about to have a 2nd P-Plater in the family. (hard to argue with video evidence   :icon_salut:)

Was wondering if anyone else on the forum runs a dashcam, and if you do, what's the model, how'd you do the install, and are you happy with it or would you recommend something else ?

Any other general comments, observations or discussion are more than welcome  :icon_thumleft:

CHeers.

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • 2014 LST Auto
Re: Is anyone running a Dashcam ? if yes, how's it go ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 06:31:33 PM »
I have one of these in the D-Max (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ambarella-A7LA50-Mini-0805-XHD-1296P-Car-Dash-Camera-DVR-Cam-GPS-Logger-AU-STOCK-/291603185529?hash=item43e4e77f79:g:7PMAAOSw5ZBWPZbj)

Clear as picture and using a 32gb card it will run for days. Tried a 64gb card but could not get it working so 32gb seems to be the max size.

Nice small unit that fits nicely behind the rear view mirror.

Yet to use it in vane but I am certain it will eventually pay for itself might even get cheaper insurance out of having it (haven't enquired yet).

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline Jackofjr

• LS-T Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:30:11 PM »
I have the same camera as Bob , purchased from the same eBay site ,

Like Bob its behind the mirror in my Dmax , I run the cable under the roof lining , down the A pillar , behind the glove box to a extra cig lighter plug I have installed .

I haven't had it long , the video quality when viewed on the computer seems pretty good .

Have a look on YouTube , plenty of reviews for that camera and all others .

Offline Taza

• XRunner Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:53:33 AM »
Im looking at one of these

http://iroadhd.com.au/product/iroad-v9/

Awesome quality picture plus it does front and rear recording.

They have new one the T10

http://iroadhd.com.au/product/iroad-t10/

Cheers
Taza
2015 MU-X LST Outback bronze | Rear Bumper Garnish | Stainless Steel Scuff Plates | TJM T13 Colour Coded Bullbar | TJM Airtek Snorkel | 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Hi-Flow Cat | ECU Re-map | Ceramic Pro 9H Paint Protection | Windows Tinted

Offline macka17

• LS-T Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »
We got two.
One in each car. mine for 5 yrs or so. Madam for around 4 yr.
Never missed a beat and crystal clear  pictures. wet/dry. Day night.

Honeywell ?1000. around $220 ea.

Can rotate camera and it has a park setting.
IE starts up filming INside car if any slight knocks. (Door/glass etc)
Records all spoken words inside all the time it running.
GPS. so gives time date speed location
and what you called him when he cuts you off.

Bloke cut off missus in Honda in Coles car park. broke her indicator.light glass.
Stiff he said.
She said fine. I got record of what you said, where we are and what you did. on camera. Rego etc.
OH..... ok .. Ph no, and ins.

All cars should have them I reckon.
Be careful of the chinese units on EBay. a lot die the day after warranty runs out, if they last that long.
Not all, but a lot of them. 

I'd rather stick to named brands and pay extra thank you.

Offline Jackofjr

• LS-T Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »
I think they are all pretty much Chinese , if you research the Web , YouTube ect , pick a camera that gets good reviews , then buy from eBay with any luck it should be ok .

Offline Teejai80

• SX Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 08:40:18 AM »
I am looking for something as well.  Really don't want any visible cables though.  Anyone got a pic of a nice install in a MU?

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 08:48:36 AM »
I am looking for something as well.  Really don't want any visible cables though.  Anyone got a pic of a nice install in a MU?

Very easy to hide the cable, I have a rear view monitor sitting over the rear view mirror as well. Both these cables I tucked between the windscreen and hood lining, around the top of the A pillar cover then by pulling the door seal away from the frame, you can hide the cables down behind it and finally pop out behind the glove box.

The only bit of cable you can see is the bit coming out to the units just behind the mirror.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Offline xsm

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 10:24:09 AM »
If using the "A" pillar to route cables, I would recommend removing the "A" pillar plastic trim and taping the wires hard against the pillar. This way you can ensure that the cables won't run across or interfere with the curtain airbag.

The trim is easily removed by undoing the 2 bolts that hold the grab handle on, then slide the trim upwards to remove.

Cheers
Martin.

Offline Teejai80

• SX Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 08:10:46 PM »
Awesome thanks.

Offline aj1811

• SX Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
Hi, I use a mini 0805 and run the usb cable over the top and down the right side to the 12v socket.

The only problem I have is when it gets serviced - as the Isuzu dealer disconnects the cable to the camera
and does not reconnect it later. I have spoken about this more than once to the dealer and there take is that its there policy.... My take is - so what do they have to hide?

On my next service I will (try) and find a Isuzu dealer that leaves the camera alone.

Cheers,
Andy.
Dmax LS-T

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
I have the same camera Andy but I wired mine using a piggy back fuse across the DLR fuse (18).

Leaves the accessory socket free for other things and can't be easily unplugged during service.

Offline lurkr

• LS-U Member
  • MY2015 MUX LS-T
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 03:10:38 PM »
I have the same camera Andy but I wired mine using a piggy back fuse across the DLR fuse (18).

Leaves the accessory socket free for other things and can't be easily unplugged during service.

Nice - got a photo ?  ;D

Offline Bob

• XRunner Member
  • 2014 LST Auto
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »
Nothing much to show but this is the type of piggy back fuse I used - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-PAE-Fuse-Holder-Piggy-Back-Add-A-Circuit-Mini-Blade-Fuse-UHF-Stereo-Lights-/161351824245?hash=item2591517375:g:n~0AAOSwAL9Uay2R.

Select a fuse that is on the correct circuit i.e. accessory, ignition, or permanent and pull the original fuse and move it to the piggy back unit. I selected the DLR as it is not used here in Aussy :BangHead: and is live when the ignition is on (motor running).

Offline jeffr

• SX Member
  • 2011 DMax Dual Cab
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »
Finally decided to get one the last year when a Wedge Tailed Eagle swooped down and plucked a Monitor off the road just ahead of me. The Mrs then went on to remind me of all the other memorable things we have seen on the road (but which I had forgotten about :laughing7:).

We use a Street Guardian SG9665GC. Simple to install, very good HD quality imagery which is easy to get off the unit onto the laptop. The 32Mb SD Card it comes with records about 15 hours of video in a continuous loop made up of 3 minute segments. Press a button on the unit and the current 3 minute segment is permanently saved (that is, that segment is written to a "saved" folder and the unit will not write over that segment until you purposefully delete it).

Plenty of cheap software to replay, edit, view GPS data, show tracks and speeds etc available for the unit.

Its a dash-cam so it does what all good dash-cams do, it has GPS, and is probably the of best of the cameras for night driving, at least, it was when I was "researching" dash-cams. It can be set to come on if bumped, save "events" either automatically based on G-Forces or the press of a button, and has a capacitor for safe shutdown (if you crash and the unit loses power, it will save the video in the buffer before turning itself off. Cheap units use batteries, better unit use capacitors). Dash-Cam enthusiasts rate it highly anyway, and as a keen amateur photographer myself I find the quality of the video quite good (its no GOPRO though, but GOPro's don't make for good dash-cams either, I tried...)

We didn't get it to feed our paranoia or anything, we simply plan to use it for our trips away to augment our photographs, experiences and memories. And the Mrs doesn't have to hold the iPhone against the windscreen anymore.

Cost me $240, including an adapter to hard-wire the power in (it comes with a cigarette power adaptor). It is, IMHO, well made and comes complete with everything needed to get good results. Plenty of in-depth reviews on the Internet.
2011 DMax Dual Cab | A Future Classic

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal