Please support your Forums and purchase some Merchandise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Read Off-road destination Tips :cup: in Trips Old and Planning!

Please register to join the community and see all of the OzIsuzu Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal

Author Topic: What Fridge to get?  (Read 27758 times)

Offline bannaLST

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: MUX
Re: What Fridge to get?
« Reply #45 on: Mar 20, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
have a look at https://www.evakool.com/ . they have factory seconds ( scratch and dent ) the price is unbelievable, there is also a long term review in here -->  http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue034/#211

Offline ubahalex

• SX Member
« Reply #46 on: Mar 20, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »
have a look at https://www.evakool.com/ . they have factory seconds ( scratch and dent ) the price is unbelievable, there is also a long term review in here -->  http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue034/#211
Yeah my dad just bought a 50L one of those 2 weeks ago and I'm yet to find the scratch on it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bannaLST

• LS-T Member
« Reply #47 on: Mar 20, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
it could just be an off center logo

Offline ubahalex

• SX Member
« Reply #48 on: Mar 20, 2017, 12:19:37 PM »
it could just be an off center logo
A few cold beers will will make it look centred again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziggy

« Reply #49 on: Mar 20, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »
You should double or more the published figures for current draw.

My EvaKool RF60 is sposed to suck 1.5 Ah but in warm to hot weather with modest amounts of opening and closing I've recorded 3 to 5 Ah.

My Waeco is sposed to suck under an amp but I count on 2 amps.

The way the factory tests is different from use in the field.

Offline Djgtom

« Reply #50 on: Mar 20, 2017, 02:30:22 PM »
We all know. You should buy an engel unless you're poor or stingy, as they are the best.  :toothy9:
That should liven this old one up a bit .

Might say how overpriced and over rated modern Toyota's are.

There, that should fire it up  :toothy9:

Offline Richie rich

• LS-T Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
« Reply #51 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:03:17 PM »
Ive got a 60lt ARB..had it for 5 yrs now.works just fine..dont all the "good brands" run the same compressors?
Cheers Richie.

Offline geoffs

• LS-U Member
  • Car Type: DMAX
  • 2016 DMAX LS-M
« Reply #52 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »
Compressor used in most of the name brands is the Danfoss BD35-F now manufactured by Secop. Engel use their swing motor, Waeco use their own compressor and various others use Danfoss lookalikes generally made in SE Asia.
My son had one of these from a large food store and had nothing but trouble. Eventually got his money back and spent a real amount on a brand fridge.
The Danfoss compressor has been around for easy 20 years, no doubt with updates, but has always been known as one of the best if not the best compressor.
The amount of amps it uses per hour is more likely a function of the insulation quality than any thing else.

Ziggy

« Reply #53 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »
Yeah, insulation is important.  That's where the better EvaKools score.

And also fill level, ambient temps and number of lid openings.

Offline TAFFY

• SX Member
« Reply #54 on: Mar 21, 2017, 11:26:37 AM »
ARB fridge is the ONLY choice.

Offline Djgtom

« Reply #55 on: Mar 21, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
ARB fridge is the ONLY choice.

Sooo, i assume that's what you have then lol

Offline Mike44

« Reply #56 on: Apr 25, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
I have had my 60l Trailblazer fridge for 7 years or so, they are built so strong mine gets stood on, used as a seat etc, I really rate them, as MUXGUYS said they are built in Qld and you talk to the owner of the company when you call up, Engels are more refined and you can't fault them ether.
but I was sold on Trailblazers when a mates uncle who was a old school bushy told me he had destroyed 11 Utes but still had the same trailblazer.

Offline mydmax2

« Reply #57 on: Apr 25, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »
ARB fridges are only rebadged of another brand, maybe made in a slightly different way/look though.

I love when Engel and the general population call their fridge compressor a "swing" motor.
There is nothing in there which swings at all. It is simply a "reciprocating" piston driven by a solenoid and electromagnet attached to the piston.

A pendulum swings, Engel compressors don't swing.

A piston engine has a reciprocating piston and conrod,  some compressors do too. The piston in both these unit types reciprocate, just one has no conrod and crank, both are driven by some means of an electromagnetic device, ie motor or solenoid. Just a bit of trivia.

Offline konazz

• LS-U Member
« Reply #58 on: Apr 25, 2017, 09:10:10 PM »
I've had 3 fridges over 5 years:
Waeco CFX 40 (Dad's fridge, used it around Australia - overall not a bad fridge and the ability to dial in a temp on the thermostat is nice. Last trip, it for some reason didn't like the 110AH Ark Pak, but i think it was the Ark Pak playing up. Bought at Anaconda with a whole bunch of goodies thrown in for under $1k)
Evakool IB35 (my fridge, got stolen form car - similar digital thermostat but the quality was far below Waeco on insulation and general fittings. Little things like a bubble on the wire basket damage the bottom of the fridge and there was rust. Pretty easy to clean. Had some issue connections and definetly the most power hungry. Bought on sale at Canberra 4x4/Camping show)
Engel Eclipse 40L (my new fridge, now about 1.5 years old. Its basically the internal of an old engel but covered in plastic to lower cost. Got it for $550 new from BCF, so really happy with the price. Haven't had a problem and use 2 times a week, but the design internally makes it a bit harder to clean. Appreciate the side opening door now I have a slide but note the lack of digital thermostat - you'll get a few icy things until you figure it out).
White LS-U: OEM Nudge Bar, 23" Lightbar, GME TX3350, Tradesman Rack, 16" DMAX Rims A/T tyres, 1" TJM lift kit, OEM towbar, Canvas seat covers, Drifta drawers and fridge slide, Engel Eclipse, Redarc BC-DC 1220, Optima D34, Baintech monitor

Offline MuxGuys

• LS-T Member
« Reply #59 on: Apr 25, 2017, 10:39:12 PM »
Just say'in again......sorry  :tongue1:

But http://www.norcoast.com.au/

The World Health Organization buy them as vaccine fridges for the heat of Africa to use on solar, the Australian Army buys them too....

Yep Trailblaza are expensive...No doubt, but the cost is soon forgotten when you see the quality and experience the longevity.

My first Trailblaza Fridge that I bought second hand for $600 13yrs ago is now over 20 years old and has been either permenantly in the back of a open tray back ute or on the front of the off-road camper trailer we built, and in the elements ALL its life. We sold the camper some years ago to a mate and a crack in the lens of the analogue thermometer by a thrown rock is its only fault in 20yrs of refrigeration.

Explorer fridges were in a similar category but no longer made......next on my list, providing not in the elements would be National Luna.

Cheers

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal